Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Paleo ToothPaste  (Read 12356 times)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Paleo ToothPaste
« on: February 26, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
has anyone tried this? here's an article about it and how to make it:: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/brush-your-teeth-the-paleo-way/

I want to try it out, but my husband will only give me more lip about how we have "perfectly good toothpaste already". I've been doing plain baking soda but the grit has been hurting my gums, and my husband thinks I am crazy for using it to begin with. I use baking soda for just about every hygienic thing though, I wash my face with it (no soaps, just a bit of honey before I get in the shower and then I use baking soda as a cleanser and exfoliant) works wonders. people always compliment me on my skin, even when I have a breakout because the baking soda keeps it very fresh and supple. but husband is still very slow to get into the whole paleo lifestyle and sees no point in creating my own toothpaste if we already have toothpaste.

so I was just wondering if anyone has tried paleo toothpaste and whether or not it is worth it. I may try this behind hubbys back, see if it makes any difference.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:28:05 PM by SidheDraoi »
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Paleo ToothPaste
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »
http://paleohacks.com/questions/18246/experiences-with-toothpaste-substitutes#axzz1F8Tfzuk5

found this website full of testimonials of paleo toothpaste and it also includes some of the posters recipes! I am defiantly considering this now! :)

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:02:28 AM »
Hi  Sidhedraoi,

After reading your post and reading the link you posted this morning, I was intrigued, and of course me being me I had to give it a go :) I mixed one tsp of BS and one tsp of cinnamon, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I'm going to pick up some coconut oil from the shop later, and I will be adding a few drops to the mix to see how it turns out. I'm going to trial it for a few days and see how I get on. I'll post my findings.

Dan.
"Everyone Dies, But Not Everyone Lives."

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

" If it's not hard, it aint worth doing"

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. "

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
awesome thank you Dan!

I have been brushing my teeth with baking soda and I find that even with my uber garlic breath it works very well, and gets rid of the odors! just while I am brushing there is a slight fishy taste (but thats just how baking soda tastes when its wet).

if coconut oil has the antibacterial properties that people claim it to have then I will have to give it a go, can't wait to hear back from you :)

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
Ok then, where to begin ....

So I guess its been a little under a week since I have been washing my teeth with the above mentioned mix. I've found that it cleans your teeth just as well as any shop bought paste. It's weird not having the foaming you get with paste, but a couple of days, and you get passed that . The only one thing that slightly bothered me was that it obviously doesnt leave your breath as fresh as paste, and its quite salty "fishy". I spose getting the recipe right would correct this .... i still need to source some peppermint / coconut oil which I'm sure would help with that side of things. In short it works and has potential as far as I'm concerned, it just needs a little tinkering with  ;D

Dan.

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
I just went out today and bought some peppermint essential oil to mix in with my paleo toothpaste, I agree that the "fishy" taste was a bit overbearing.  only problem with adding the essential oil is now I cant swallow the mixture, i will have to spit it out like always, but thats not a big deal.  I am really enjoying how this mixture feels though, and my teeth feel so much better now and my gums aren't bleeding anymore!!

so yea, just go out and get some peppermint essential oil, I am going to use it tonight before I go to bed and see how well it works, I will update you  ;D <--- monkey's teeth are as white as mine are now!! this is making me so excited!

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
updating!

the peppermint essential oil was a good idea! tastes like york peppermint patties hahaha  ;D  Though I prefer spearmint usually, but my husband isnt fond of spearmint so we got peppermint. I didnt add a lot, but I should add more. It leaves my breath fresh feeling but it isnt an intense fresh, probably should add a little more to get desired "freshness" hahaha  :P

but it works!!! yay!

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:41 PM »
I really have gotta pull my finger out and source some peppermint oil  :) sounds good though. Thanks for the update  ;D

Dan

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:46 AM »
 Cavemen had baking soda?

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
Cavemen had baking soda?

WIKI on baking soda states::  baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate) "is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs."  so yes, caveman could very well have had baking soda, if they knew how to harness it. I am sure they drank mineral spring water, it would be one of the very few means to obtain fresh water. 

also, baking soda works wonderfully for relieving indigestion and it only makes up a small percentage (barely 1%) of what I eat each day, it is used as a hygiene product and a medicinal product. and I see no problem in using naturally occurring products to heal myself  :P  i use potatoes to help heal sunburns and it works very effectively! I just don't eat potatoes.

Offline genyseth

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:11:12 AM »

I heard guava leaves are good in cleaning our teeth. I had never tried but my brother did and he said it really is.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:22:14 PM by genyseth »