Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: How old is too old...?  (Read 12991 times)

Offline paleoman

• Cub
    • View Profile
How old is too old...?
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:43:41 AM »
Hit 35 today...

Only went caveman around 6 months ago.

I feel fantastic for it, but wonder if I left it too late... :P

Once a heavy smoker (not any more)...still love too many reds...

Anyone else here worry about the same thing?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:17:37 AM by paleoman »
Embrace your past...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: How old is too old...?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »
Too late?  No way.  AT 35 you've lived less than half the average lifetime, which means you get to live your life again :)
"Be true to your biology"

Offline paleoman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:51:48 AM »
Too late?  No way.  AT 35 you've lived less than half the average lifetime, which means you get to live your life again :)

Only 70 years to live...? NO WAY!  :o

I'm aiming for 100 not out  ;D

I reckon living like a caveman will get us there too, Matt!
Embrace your past...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:14:44 AM »

Offline takujohn

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 05:59:26 AM »
Hey Paleoman---I am 60, and just starting off on a new career. When I was in my 30's I had just given up drinking and smoking, and was into running marathons. In my 40's I went to Alaska to have a look around, took 13 years and only saw a part of it, when I turned 54 I returned to the lower 48 and am now in the Arizona desert. I am in the process of going full time teaching natural healing, nutrition, and energy healing. At 60, I still take and pass the Army Rangers fitness test, every year on my birthday, and will do it in 40 years! How old is to old? God gives us 120 years, after that you are on your own.   Rev. John

Offline paleoman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »
Hey takujohn

Thanks for your reply - your story is truly inspiring!

You have a website up on your natural healing teachings, etc?
Embrace your past...

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:18 AM »
Hit 35 today...

Only went caveman around 6 months ago.

I feel fantastic for it, but wonder if I left it too late... :P

Once a heavy smoker (not any more)...still love too many reds...

Anyone else here worry about the same thing?

Even though I am quite young the "too late" thought has crossed my mind on occasion regarding all sorts of things in my life, not just fitness and diet. In recent times though I dismiss it outright every time that silly thought pops into my head. I have learnt that doing nothing in infinitely worse then never trying. It's never too late to start doing something new that improves your life, no matter what aspect it may be. Having the courage to do something that will take you above and beyond where you currently stand is a big step, a good step, and a step most people never take. Congratulations on being one of few strong people who said "I will".

Offline England Tiger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
Hi Folks
First post.  Stumbled across the site, been reading for a few days. Really interesting stuff, pretty exciting and inspiring. Certainly got me thinking and re-evaluating. Thanks.
Anyway, had to reply to this particular thread. Isn't it a funny trick of life that when we're in our 20's we think we're geting old and starting to get past it. Then we get into our 30's and realise how young we still were at 20 odd, and often wish we had kept going a bit longer with what we did in our earlier years (welll. some things anyway :-) ). I'm now 48 and exactly same applies now I look back on my daft thoughts about being past it, leaving 'it' too late etc in my late 30's and earlier 40's. And so on.
35!! Heck. Left it too late? Come on with you!!
I recently read the BFL guys 'Finally Fit at 50 book'. Interesting read in some respects (not an out and out recommendation to go buy it though) ; but massive credit to the guy on his turnaround. Perhaps that should now be my aim, to get 'finally fit (once again) before 50' .... but based on Caveman type approach. Let's see .......

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:41:30 AM »
Welcome Seeker and England Tiger  :D

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
Never too late to get fit. There are men in their 50s and 60s that could beat me in an arm wrestle, and, dare I say it, a real wrestle. There are men in their 70s who can still "rise to the occasion" (I'm guessing they probably eat a lot of caveman foods) :P so I'd say that a number is indicative of how many years you have lived, not your health in any way. I say bugger genetics, bugger age, bugger self-imposed and society-imposed restrictions and "I can'ts". I'd say getting your ass out and exercising is one of the best things you could do, as the average man who doesn't, gets lower muscle mass, testosterone and growth hormone every year in his 40s. Exercising is great if for no other reason than to keep your hormonal system functional. Use it or lose it I guess.

Offline gsc5483

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 07:49:59 AM »
Hello:

I am a caveperson.  I hope I can continue my fitness at age 62.  I hope that is not to old to carry 40 pounds up 250 steps at a slow pace.  I was really concerned because my 20% fat is just about gone which would not be heart healthy for my age.  I do hope it is safe for a woman to be doing this type of hard work because sometimes I feel like a freak compared to others my age.  The saying goes why are you doing that because you will end up with back and knee problems.  It feels so good though to breathe and do that much resistance training at once.  Any advice on starting a senior stair climbing group.

Offline taimenz

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »
your never to old if you live in the moment
The spirit of wilderness, born into those who seek the quiet placs in the temples of creation, unencumbered by the shackles and comforts of society, is the only reality.  Man becomes real, fulfilling his destiny, nourishing his soul, and touching the Creator with every step. Tom Brown Jr.

Offline gsc5483

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »
Hello:

I am getting to be more of a caveperson everyday.  Today I lifted about 250 pounds of horse manure into a pickup truck all at once.  Gee, I hope I didn't overdue myself with that much lifting power because of my senior age.  Gee, since I did that cave stuff maybe I will start power lifting instead of stair climbing.  Really though, I need to spend some money and buy a expensive cart to do all the work but I like this cafe stuff because it makes my osteoarthritis feel better in my hip.  Does anyone know if there are any 62 year old women power lifters.  I would really like some advise.  I could use males advise too on power lifting before I get started on my next cave adventure.  This cave stuff is good and may save you money in the end unless I strain something.  However, I do not need that at my age because I need to accomplish more cave stuff.

Offline taimenz

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »
on powerlifting try going to crossfit.com and look in there video archive they show in a very detailed manner the proper way of doing a lot of exercises. myself personally have taken a step away from the strict lifting and do a more uneven load lift now with different objects to train my body to adapt. I feet if all your doing is deadlifts and cleans etc. with a loaded olympic bar you might get strong but when it comes time to lift that 100lb bag of corn theres a good chance you might pull something because you havn't trained your body to move in all manners.  Arnold Schwarzenegger said in his bible to bodybuilding that he didn't like to use belts, gloves, and straps to lift heavier weight because if you couldn' do a heavy deadlift unless you had a belt on your lower back and abs were to weak to do that deadlift.
The spirit of wilderness, born into those who seek the quiet placs in the temples of creation, unencumbered by the shackles and comforts of society, is the only reality.  Man becomes real, fulfilling his destiny, nourishing his soul, and touching the Creator with every step. Tom Brown Jr.