Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: A question about posture...  (Read 12302 times)

Offline Asaahi

• Cub
    • View Profile
A question about posture...
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:34:01 PM »
So I was wondering what a good natural posture was. Like, my mum always told me not to slouch when sitting, and thanks to her my back is straight and all; but  do we really always have to sit straight up? For sleeping, is hard surface better, are hammocks fine?

Also, what's your guys' take on going barefoot whenever possible?

:)Cheers
He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: A question about posture...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:33:06 AM »
I like the old wisdom of; walk like a string is attached to the top of your head, pulling you up.

That makes sense to me, considering it's basically resisting the slouch due to gravity.

As for bare feet - yes!  Feet have extraordinary grip, I love rock climbing bare footed, and I feel that my sense of balance is heightened because I can really feel the surface beneath my feet.  Working out bare footed is awesome as well, it just feels pretty primal.

It's funny to realise, that in modern society, roads and pathways are all built relatively flat.  Many a time when a newcomer comes on a bush-walk, they fall over quite a bit because they're not conditioned to walk on uneven surfaces.  However, after a few bush walks, their balance becomes better.  That's just one example of the instincts/skills we lose living in a modern society.  I'm sure that wearing shoes all the time has ramifications as well.

I've seen plenty of documentaries where native tribes are all getting around in bare feet, they're tough as nails.  But I guess we live in a society where we're pretty much guaranteed access to shoes for our entire lives, so the conditioning of the feet is not required.  Which is ironic, because we (arguably) need shoes more in the bush, than you do on a city street walking on concrete.

As for sleeping on hard surfaces, I can only guess that bad posture sustained for the period of a night's sleep wouldn't be good for anyone, regardless of whether the surface slept on is hard or soft.  So I guess the point is, it's not the surface that matters, as much as it is the posture that matters - and if a particular type of surface helps to maintain good posture, I guess it's the better way to go.

As for lurching whilst sitting, it's not only bad for the back, it's really bad for the shoulders.  Rounded shoulders (pointing forward) as a result of sustained static holding in a slouched position is bad, and can lead to impingement, and believe me, that sucks.  It's crucial for us in modern society to address this point, because (in general) we are frequently sitting at desks/computer stations and driving cars, both of which encourage a person to lurch forward for extended periods of time - which is totally unnatural.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline munster

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
hi guys have to agree with the walk tall walk straight line. the barefoot thing is spot on, my mum had me going barefoot due to crossing toes(which sorted them by the way) and i was able to walk/run on rough tarred roads. pity i have since lost that ability. any ideas for a bad back its starting to annoy me (result of bad lifestyle, rugby, car accident and not realising the limits of my strength

Offline Madison

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »
Actually, its a good point that you make Matt in re to flat surfaces everywhere. I usually wear thongs everywhere I go and did so recently while I was walking around the water here in WW.

The problem in the end was that I couldn't understand why my feet were aching so bad when I got home (due to being able to wear them all day without a problem whilst in and around the city), and thats was when I realized. Its not my feet or the thongs that were the problem (well I could've had some better footwear on). It was more the fact that I was so used to walking on flat surfaces that even the slightest bit of unevenness was detrimental to my feet even though I'd walked a million miles in the same pair of thongs previously without a problem. It was certainly a huge eye opener as to how attuned we are in our modern everyday activities and lifestyles.

Many a time when a newcomer comes on a bush-walk, they fall over quite a bit because they're not conditioned to walk on uneven surfaces.

Boy oh boy do I know this all too well!  ;D

Ps Merry Christmas to you all and here's hoping 2008 will be the best year for us all!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:18:08 PM by Madison »
Fear. Courage. Freedom

Offline LAChick

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • The Pink Guide to Going Green
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:20:42 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too Madison  ;D

Forgive me for getting all excited when I see a conversation about posture on this forum but it's what I do for a living so I can't help but put in my two cents.

The feet are the foundation of our posture so having them in good working order can help to alleviate many problems like lower back pain that can often be caused by fallen arches leading to instability and rotation through the hips. This can also set up the posture of rounded shoulders that leads to those nasty tension headaches.

So, if your feet are not in the best shape you can improve your posture by improving the functionality and strength of the muscles in your arches by practising picking up a pen or a towel from the ground with your toes. This will strengthen and help lift your arches which will in turn improve your posture by creating a solid foundation. Walking barefoot on uneven surfaces is also a brilliant suggestion and probably best attempted after a few weeks of strengthening your arches.

One other tip for good posture from the ground up is to stand with your feet aligned hip width apart, then lift your toes and wiggle them to ensure your weight is evenly distributed throughout your foot rather than on the balls of your feet which will again put pressure on your lower back. Do this any time you need to stand still for any length of time and you'll notice you wont need to shift your weight around so much to stay comfortable.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:51:53 AM »
So, if your feet are not in the best shape you can improve your posture by improving the functionality and strength of the muscles in your arches by practising picking up a pen or a towel from the ground with your toes.

Awesome, I do that a lot, and I presumed I was just being lazy  :P

And a merry Christmas to you too Madison - judging by the good stuff that's happened this year, 2008 will definately kick *ss!
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:13:45 AM »
I agree that IS awesome. I do that a lot myself too. That's a nice little perk to find out it's actually good for you.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too Madison  ;D

Forgive me for getting all excited when I see a conversation about posture on this forum but it's what I do for a living so I can't help but put in my two cents.

The feet are the foundation of our posture so having them in good working order can help to alleviate many problems like lower back pain that can often be caused by fallen arches leading to instability and rotation through the hips. This can also set up the posture of rounded shoulders that leads to those nasty tension headaches.

So, if your feet are not in the best shape you can improve your posture by improving the functionality and strength of the muscles in your arches by practising picking up a pen or a towel from the ground with your toes. This will strengthen and help lift your arches which will in turn improve your posture by creating a solid foundation. Walking barefoot on uneven surfaces is also a brilliant suggestion and probably best attempted after a few weeks of strengthening your arches.

One other tip for good posture from the ground up is to stand with your feet aligned hip width apart, then lift your toes and wiggle them to ensure your weight is evenly distributed throughout your foot rather than on the balls of your feet which will again put pressure on your lower back. Do this any time you need to stand still for any length of time and you'll notice you wont need to shift your weight around so much to stay comfortable.

Didn't see this topic before, but thanks heaps. My posture leaves a bit to be desired, and my feet are pretty flat. I'm gonna go around barefoot and try some of those exercises, cheers LAChick.

Offline Asaahi

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »
Hey, this might be kinda late but thanks for the help everyone. Haven't posted for a while but I'm gonna try and be more consistent now...

:)
He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.

Offline bodhi9

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 10:22:24 AM »
Sleeping in a comfortable bed is key to keeping good posture