Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: One week down  (Read 5554 times)

Offline bassaiguy

• Cub
    • View Profile
One week down
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Finished my first week on Phase One.  So far, so good.  I've dropped 4lbs. already.  I haven't slipped up too badly although I allow myself two cups of black coffee per day and had a piece of apple cake at a birthday party. 

I've been grazing on fresh apples (it's fall in Maine), some tropical fruits like bananas and kiwi, almonds and sunflower seeds.  I'll be adding in some salads and jerky this week, I think.  My evening feasts have included grilled kielbasa and fries, beef pot roast and veggies and spicy rice and beans.  I've really been craving carrots and peas (maybe for the sweetness) and I noticed that the canned beans I used one night tasted awfully sweet. 

I'm usually a huge snacker on crackers and bread and this has been hard to give up, but although I'm missing my morning bagel I'm still holding strong.

How does this compare to others' experiences?

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
Re: One week down
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:45:39 AM »
Coffee gets me too. The stupid thing is I only drink Decaf.
Go figure

Offline bassaiguy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »
Decaf...the Devil's Brew.

I've been exercise lightly - mostly walking because my back is messed up, but in a week or two I'll return to my usual brief workout of bodyweight exercise and some dumb-bell exercises.  When time permits I'll add some martial arts practice back into the mix, but for the past few months I've had to cut that out.

I find that if I brush my teeth often I get the urge to snack less.  Sounds weird, but it helps me at least.

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
REAL MEN DRINK DECAF!
My wife hassles me out all the time for drinking decafe.
I have a messed up back as well and its not as bad as some so my heart goes out to those with stuffed backs.
I find that i can just be putting on shoes and it gives me curry.
I have started yet again hopefully 3rd time lucky although I never really got into stage 2 i mashed stage 2 fasting with stage 1 feasting and called it stage 2 then wondered why i wasnt getting results as good as i could.
You do martial arts, which one.
I do karate with a Kyokushin foundation.
Keep it up and good luck

Offline bassaiguy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »
aka,

I'm a Shotokan guy, but having worked out once or twice with Kyokushin karateka at camps I have a new found respect for my legs. 

Thanks for the reply - it's good to hear from others on the same journey.

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
I started in Shotokan and Sensei is 3 dan in shotokan amongst other systems.
Unfortunately alot of shotokan is sport orientated in my area which as fine and dandy but thats not why I started training
How far along are you?
I love talking this stuff and would love to converse so if you do too that would be great

Offline bassaiguy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:20:06 AM »
aka,

At this point, about 15 years in, I'm committed to Shotokan, but I'm not closed minded about it.  Although I chased the tournament scene pretty hard in my early to mid 20s I haven't competed in a long time.  My philosophy is budo karate / Shotokan-style.  This is very similar to old style (1950-60s) Shotokan that I think the sport Shotokan people of today would be hard pressed to match.  I did practice TKD for several years before beginning Shotokan and while it had its benefits I'm happier with Shotokan than I was with Tae Kwon Do.  I've also done a bit of Judo and grappling on the side.

I really respect Kyokushin karateka.  There is a group in my state - a few hours away from me.  They hold a tournament every year with semi-contact (pads) and full-contact (no pads) divisions.  Since I turn 40 in December and their tournament is in April I'm thinking of joining the senior division for a semi-contact go.  What do you think?

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »
Bassaiguy,

I should of picked up the shotokan reference in your name. I heard the 50's and 60's Shotokan was alot harder than alot of it today. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that All Shotokan Dojo's are sport orientated but where I am they are. I have been thinking of doind some grappling work soon. As for the full contact or semi contact if your conditioned I reckon go for it. Whats your favourite kata? I love the meditative quality of kata even though it was the last thing I started Karate for it has become my most satisfying

Offline bassaiguy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »
I like Bassai-dai (obviously) and Tekki.  I saw a video of Mas Oyama's Tekki/Naihanchi that was very powerful.  What about you?  What are your favorite kata?

I think Shotokan sometimes put too much emphasis on forms and too little on application.  In my dojo we try to mix-up kata and kumite.  We also sometimes throw on the headgear and pads and do some full contact drills - most Shoto schools don't.  We also still do breaking for our belt tests which I found many dojos have given up. 

I wish I'd been training this way when I was 20 instead of pushing 40, but youth is wasted on the young, I guess. 

Anyway, I'm feeling more energized lately from the diet and since my back is healing I should be training back before long!

Offline bassaiguy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »
Lilo.  How's it going on your end?

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
Bassai-dai I dont have to learn for Black so I must admit that I dont know it. The Tekki's I dont mind but I really enjoy both Gekisai's and Tensho. Kanku which I am doing now is heaps of fun because it contains all the elements of the Pinan's/Heian's. We have to do board breaking for black so I dont know what technique I will use but I want to do something that is heaps challenging like a wrist strike we have in Tensho (the rising wrist strike). I will have to focus all my Ki for that.

I hope your back keeps getting better. hurt backs suck.
If you school has a website please pass along a link. I always like to see what others are doing