Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Obesity & Mass Marketing - The Fat Get Fatter and The Rich Get Richer.  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
I stumbled upon an interesting article today, and it prompted me to write this post...

Diabetes demands proactive approach
Lesley Russell - The Canberra Times, 13 August 2007.

From the article:
Australia is facing an epidemic of Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes. There are now nearly one million Australians with Type 2 diabetes. The problem will grow as the incidence of obesity increases, with 30 per cent of Australian children and 60 per cent of adults now overweight or obese. The rate of diabetes among overweight adolescents has jumped 16-fold in the last decade.

Read the full article here http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?story_id=1036228
-------------------------------------------------

My opinion:
People are being conned into buying the wrong foods. Indeed, what the food corporations get away with is criminal.   I've recently targeted Kellogg's as a main offender, but there are many more who claim their products are healthy when clearly; they're NOT.

Foods that have a high GI rating (such as breakfast cereals and bars) are aggressively marketed as being essential to our staple staple diet.  This is wrong... terribly wrong.

It seems to me that the only people who are healthy these days are those that are; vigilante about their health, genetically just lucky, or those that are shaped by environmental forces (physical work etc).

Mass marketing is becoming more omnipotent, subtle, and unethically pervasive.  And in fact, they've mastered the art of telling lies, they're the best.  They are responsible for the epidemic of diabetes to a degree similar to that of tobacco companies being responsible for cancer.

I'd like to be clear about this...
MARKETING AND FOOD CORPORATIONS ARE KILLING US...
THEY CARE ONLY FOR MONEY, NOT HEALTH!

So how can we blame the average person in entirety for their obesity when they're being hounded every day to eat, eat eat!  And to add insult to injury; modern lifestyle encourages sedateness at work and at home. 

In my opinion it's a miracle that we all aren't obese and diabetic.

It's tempting as a fit person to sit back and say "oh they eat too much" or "they don't exercise enough", or even "they bring it upon themselves".  But, if we think for one second that society makes it easy for these people, we better think again....

I think that it's heartless and cowardly to take the moral high ground (the last resort of a scoundrel) by blaming fat people for their obesity without giving any thought to the pressure society puts on them to eat and drink.  Yeah, people are responsible for their health, no doubt about it - but some people have a harder time than others when it comes to displaying the increasing vigilance required in order to avoid obesity.

If we are to truthfully (and pragmatically) allocate responsibility for the epidemic of obesity; it would be ludicrous and small-minded to ignore the effect that mass marketing has.  The days of blaming "joe citizen" for his/her own obesity, or indulging in a sense of superiority because others are fatter, is nothing short of a cop-out.

I aim to help obese people - because I believe they represent an accurate depiction of what modern society does to a human being.  If you study the migrations of indigenous people into Western Culture, you will find facts that outline their rapid descent into obesity (and depression).

Modern society is an unnatural environment, and it requires an unnatural amount of vigilance in order to to survive in it, let alone subsist.  Many times when I see an obese person I just want to liberate them!  I know I can help them, but sometimes I think "how can can I compete with the likes of McDonalds, Kellogg's, Coke-a-Cola" ....and so on, and so on.

For every one of one of me that is saying "I can help!"
there are a thousand advertisements saying "have a Mars Bar".

In conclusion;
Food Corporations need to take responsibility for their role in the community, get honest, and say; "hey, our food can make you obese, and induce diabetes".

Tobacco companies are currently forced to provide warnings on their products, so why shouldn't Kellogg's or McDonalds or Coke-a-Cola be forced to?  I don't like the idea of forcing things on anyone, but we're dealing with a well organised, well funded and incredibly self-servant beast here.

Obesity is a not just a battle of the will, it's a battle aimed squarely at the heart of consumerism itself... and it's not going to be easy... but hey, nothing worthwhile ever is, right?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:00:01 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Dan

• Cub
    • View Profile
Funny, in the United States obesity is portrayed as a US problem, I wonder if this is to stop people from seeing a trend. I've been fighting weight my whole life (and slowly losing). The last week on this diet is really the first time in 8 years or so (I'm 33) that I felt hopeful about my own struggle. I think the best thing you can do in terms of helping people is what you're doing. The great thing about the internet is its a very efficient way of reaching lots of people. I will add this, If I can manage to lose weight on this I intend to make business cards with your web-site address and hand them out to anyone who I know and asks me how I managed to lose weight. 

Even if I don't lose an ounce though, I intend to continue, as I truly feel better on this diet. I stopped wanting sugar (whereas before I needed a fix at least twice a day), spend less on food and have a ton more energy.  I noticed the energy part last night when I couldn't just sit in front of the tv like I usually do and actually went for a walk. Tonight its the Gym

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Great stuff Dan.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
The American Health Association have just broken ranks by admitting that lowering the carbohydrates in a person's diet (particularly High GI carbs) is beneficial.  This is a landmark move by the AHA, and I hope it flows onto consumers via manufacturers lowering the High GI macro-nutrients in their products.  In other words, once consumers are aware of the dangers; they will place demand on suitable products, which will force the manufacturers to follow suit.

Dan, i'm really happy for you.  The fact that you're teaching yourself, and the fact that you're not drinking the Kool Aid, is in my mind; liberation.  I am flattered that you would refer people to this website, although I would encourage you to send them to any website that makes their life better, even if it's not mine.

Thanks for keeping us updated Dan, look forward to hearing more about your progress.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:02:56 AM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
It's good that the AHA finally admitted what we have known for a long time. Unfortunately every single admission, remission and change by them will be literally at the end of a gun as they are heavily backed by vested interests who do not want the real truth against their industries to come to light. Something only comes out when they are so overwhelmed with evidence and public outcry that they have no choice but to save face before they loose too much credibility.

It's great to see more and more people using the internet for the brilliant research tool it is and learning more about the truth for themselves instead of just taking what the TV spoon feeds them.

Dan - Way to go! I'll pray for you on this journey and you have all our support here I'm sure.

Offline Dan

• Cub
    • View Profile
The American Health Association have just broken ranks by admitting that lowering the carbohydrates in a person's diet (particularly High GI carbs) is beneficial.  This is a landmark move by the AHA

Amazing what can happen when all the young soldiers we need are 50lbs overweight ;D