Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:27:34 AM »
Jared Diamond, an American evolutionary biologist, physiologist, bio-geographer and non-fiction author, wrote a remarkable piece for Discover Magazine, in May 1987.

It is about; how agriculture set the stage for class division, and is responsible for many of the modern health problems.  Jared Diamond was an influence for me when I was seeking answers about modern lifestyle problems, and indeed, he's a man who has inspired me to make this website.

From the article:
"...recent discoveries suggest that the adoption of agriculture, supposedly our most decisive step toward a better life, was in many ways a catastrophe from which we have never recovered. With agriculture came the gross social and sexual inequality, the disease and despotism, that curse our existence."

This is a must-read - so do yourself a favour and read it here:
http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond.pdfl

:)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:27:51 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »
Excellent article, Matt!  (Sorry for replying to such an old post, but I thought it deserved "resurrection!")  Anyway, the link you posted above is no longer valid, but I was able to find the article in .pdf format here:

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond.pdf
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
Thanks Tony!

I edited my post accordingly.
"Be true to your biology"