Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Don't be fooled by the Low-Fat hype!  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Don't be fooled by the Low-Fat hype!
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:50:18 AM »
I see it all the time; people choosing food packages that proudly declare "95% Fat Free", so let me say this just once...

FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU.
SUGAR IS BAD FOR YOU!
LOW FAT (usually) = HIGH SUGAR

Next time you are choosing anything that's labelled "Low Fat", make sure you check out the ingredients and/or the nutrition table on the packaging for signs of high sugar (simple carbohydrate) content.  The food corporations have been using this trick for a while, and let's face it; do you seriously think the food corporations exist to make you healthy?  They are corporations, and they exist for one reason only; to make money.

Food that has plenty of fat is good for you - as long as it is the right type of fat (or the right ratio).  Omega-3 fats are excellent, and remember this;

Your body can't make these fats so you have to get them from your diet.

The Low Fat craze that begun in the 1990's has lowered the consumption of saturated fats in our diet which is good.  BUT, we are now consuming enormous amounts of carbohydrates, whilst avoiding all the essential fats that we need in order to be healthy (omega-3 and omega-6 fats are called essential because we have to get them from food).

Please note, both wheat and sugar are metabolised as glucose, and they induce an insulin spike.  Complex Carbohydrates (wheat, bread, pasta etc) are slow release (low GI) but they need insulin in order to regulate glycogen metabolism.  Complex Carbohydrates are only slightly different to Simple Carbohydrates (sugar), and it would not be inaccurate to call a slice of bread; "a slice of sugar".

Primal man did not eat wheat.  This is a fact, grains have only been around for human consumption for 12,000 years.  Modern agriculture started at that time and is referred to as the Neolithic Revolution.  Before then, humans survived on mother nature's finest; plants, game meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, berries, roots and tubahs, etc.

Wheat was introduced (12,000 years ago) for the sake of economics, it was easy to grow and could easily be stored incase of famine or drought.  So it made sense for primal man to horde large amounts of grain.  However, they paid a price, that is; they got high calories in return for low nutrition.  Not only that, tribes became less nomadic and started to build walls around their wheat crops - and next came the first large scale wars.  The tribes that held the wheat were attacked for their bounty.

This was also the time that certain animals were domesticated; cows, bulls, mules etc.  Animal domestication along with Agriculture set the stage for modern civilisation.  And although it originally started in the Middle East, it spread quickly, particularly along favourable parts of the equator where conditions were good for crop growing.  And we can still see the effects of this today when we look at the haves and have-nots.  I'll talk more about that later...

In modern times we have a fixation with low-calorie food.  But, in the days of Primal Man, calories were valuable, because they were hard to come by.  Try living in the bush for a week and you'll know what i'm talking about!  It's important to understand that favouring low-calorie food is an unnatural phenomena and is relatively new to the lifestyle of humans.  Low Fat food is also new to us, and so is high carbohydrate food.

Examples of "Low Fat" trickery;
  • Yoghurt
  • Breakfast Cereal
  • Muesli Bars
  • Milk Drinks
  • Lollies! (obvious one, but you'd be surprised... people do fall for it)

One of my goals with Caveman Power is to challenge the myths that have been keeping society sick for so long, and food is a major area.

Stay tuned, i'm preparing a no-bull guide to choosing the right foods to eat... coming soon!

I want to thank everybody who has helped so far, because together we WILL make a difference.  I'd love to hear your experiences and/or suggestions on how we can claim back the truth (and our sanity) and help ourselves and our society.  Never say die!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:47:01 AM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Don't be fooled by the Low-Fat hype!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »
Good guide. Are you sure about saturated fats? From what I have read they are an essential, healthy component of a natural diet.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Good guide. Are you sure about saturated fats? From what I have read they are an essential, healthy component of a natural diet.

Reducing saturated fat to a natural level is healthy, but eliminating them completely is not.  Saturated fats are essential.  The trend towards lowering saturated fat intake that emerged during the lo-fat craze was a good thing.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:58:20 AM »
From an interview with Udo Erasmus,

"Here’s the story of saturated fats in context: In an n-3 deficient diet, saturated fats will make platelets stickier and will increase insulin-resistance. That means greater risk of heart attack, stroke, embolism, and diabetes. But n-3 makes platelets less sticky and decreases insulin sensitivity. Saturated fats and n-3 have opposite effects. In our fat consumption, we should first consume an optimal ratio of undamaged n-3 and n-6 essential fats, emphasizing n-3 because n-3 is too low in most people’s diets."

Ah, I think I get it.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:15:06 AM »
From an interview with Udo Erasmus,

"Here’s the story of saturated fats in context: In an n-3 deficient diet, saturated fats will make platelets stickier and will increase insulin-resistance. That means greater risk of heart attack, stroke, embolism, and diabetes. But n-3 makes platelets less sticky and decreases insulin sensitivity. Saturated fats and n-3 have opposite effects. In our fat consumption, we should first consume an optimal ratio of undamaged n-3 and n-6 essential fats, emphasizing n-3 because n-3 is too low in most people’s diets."

Interesting... and he's spot on about the importance of the ratio between Omega 3 and 6 fats.  I've read (in numerous journals) that domesticated animals do not produce a healthy ratio due to the food they eat, hence the popularity of grass-fed-free-range produce.