Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: new here and have a strange problem  (Read 2543 times)

Offline watersennin

• Cub
    • View Profile
new here and have a strange problem
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:04:13 AM »
Hey I'm new to the forums here and the the "caveman" type lifestyle. I've done similar diets like this before (spartan health regime and warrior diet) both seemed pretty good i only stopped because i went broke. Now I'm trying to start the primal lifestyle up but i have a problem that i didn't think about when deciding if i should start now. Currently I'm living in Thailand (been here about 2 years) and will be going back to the states in about 3 months. I want to start the eating part of the lifestyle change first because that's always the hardest for me and i came to Thailand to learn muay Thai and they train everyday 2 times a day for 4 hours each time (i only go 1 time a day because i have a job). At first i thought my problem would be trying to find food without rice,noodles or sugar, which if i go to restaurants or food vendors is almost impossible its Asia so rice and noodles are with everything and Thai people eat more sugar then any American I've ever seen, they put in everything, literally. But i found a small portable stove thing so i can cook my own food now and all of that stuff isn't really a huge problem anymore. my problem is because i stick out like a sore thumb here (being not Asian) when people see me they are either afraid/shy or really excited and want to talk and when this happens they always want to give me food (non caveman friendly food), beer, or whiskey which i have no problem with normally. also co workers always bring in food to share. I could always say no thank you but it doesn't seem to be in their culture  to say no when offered a gift and they think its very weird if you do. So my question would be should i just wait until i go back to the US or try to find some way around local hospitality? i really want to start now but i don't think i can go 100% in while in Thailand. So any advice would be helpful, thanks.
"In the past, severe training was the proper tradition, but nowadays people tend to avoid it as much as possible. Sometimes being ruthless or withstanding brutality is part of the art of self protection. Easy training will not make it possible to protect you from attack and danger. When your life is in danger and you are totally involved in survival you can easily endure severe injuries and hardships. Remember "Sutemi no Seishin" which is the spirit to fearlessly throw your life away." - some guy who i cant remember the name of

"Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post" - stewie griffin

Hericletus (circa 500 B.C.) said of men in battle;
"Of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there."
"Eighty are nothing but targets."
"Nine are real fighters, we are lucky to have them, they make the battle."
"Ah, but the One..." "One of them is a Warrior..."
"He will bring the others back."

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
Re: new here and have a strange problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
You could either tell them you're on a special diet for health reasons.... then tell them what you cant have..... OR you could eat paleo most of the time, then have the ocasional non-paleo thing with your friends...... this won't do any harm till you get to America.

Nicki

Offline watersennin

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »
I don't know if I could explain that lol. I can speak Thai but not fluently and I don't no any words about health and stuff like that (never really comes up in conversations here) ... guess now would be a good time to learn.
"In the past, severe training was the proper tradition, but nowadays people tend to avoid it as much as possible. Sometimes being ruthless or withstanding brutality is part of the art of self protection. Easy training will not make it possible to protect you from attack and danger. When your life is in danger and you are totally involved in survival you can easily endure severe injuries and hardships. Remember "Sutemi no Seishin" which is the spirit to fearlessly throw your life away." - some guy who i cant remember the name of

Offline watersennin

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:42 AM »
well... as im sitting here eating the cake i was just given i realize this is fruitless to do in this country so waiting a few extra months to start when i get back to the states... cant wait and im sure a few month of the thai diet wont kill me