Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Quotes you love  (Read 58950 times)

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Quotes you love
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
I will go first  :D

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no ones definition of your life; define yourself." --Harvey Fierstein

"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline TheBadgerFactor

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes you love
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »
First Post! Oh Yeah!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
There's no food faster than a piece of fruit.

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.   W.C. Fields

If people don't want to come out to the ball park, nobody's gonna stop 'em.  Yogi Berra

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.   Woody Allen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:10:05 PM by houmax »
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
"there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dempt of in your philosophy" -William Shakespear's "Hamlet"
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:20:43 PM »
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P. J. O'Rourke

;D

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
People once said the moon was made of cheese. And in later years they said that the moon was not made of cheese, but that it was like a rock... well, that's what happens when you leave cheese out like that.     Jack Handy
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all. -- Sam Ewing

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
I won't trade humanity for patriotism - Immortal Technique

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
It's a good thing I was born a girl, otherwise I'd be a drag queen.    Dolly Parton

The only truly anonymous donor is the guy who knocks up your daughter.    Lenny Bruce

There's only two people in your life you should lie to... the police and your girlfriend.   Jack Nicholson
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
There's only two people in your life you should lie to... the police and your girlfriend.   Jack Nicholson

LOL! I am not sure I agree with this one. I would say nothing to the Police and I would suggest not doing anything that you would have to lie about to you girlfriend. That's just me though. I am sure this works well for many people.  ;D

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
There's only two people in your life you should lie to... the police and your girlfriend.   Jack Nicholson

LOL! I am not sure I agree with this one. I would say nothing to the Police and I would suggest not doing anything that you would have to lie about to you girlfriend. That's just me though. I am sure this works well for many people.  ;D

Do these jeans make me look fat??? LOL

Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »

There's only two people in your life you should lie to... the police and your girlfriend.   Jack Nicholson

I swear, my dad is Jack Nicholson's child... They look and act exactly the same...

Jack is the best, no one can deny him! haha

"With my sunglasses on, I'm Jack Nicholson. Without them, I'm fat and 60."
Jack Nicholson

I can't believe that he is the same age as Sigourney Weaver!! I swear she is immortal...

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
Do these jeans make me look fat??? LOL

To say "no the jeans do not make look fat" is not lying. For even if the person wearing the jeans is fat it is not the jeans that make them appear fat. It is the fat! Not a lie just a matter of interpretation.   ;D

Offline Doug

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?"

Hillel the Elder

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »
"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." -- Max Planck

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -- Archimedes

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones." -- William Shakespeare

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
"don't look a gift horse in the mouth..."

what does that mean anyway?   ::) :-X

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »
what does that mean anyway?

A shrewd buyer of horses always checks the animal's teeth before making a purchase.  If someone was to give you a horse (or any gift), it would be rude to look it over as if you expected it to be flawed.  Accept a gift graciously.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance" --Hippocrates

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
what does that mean anyway?

A shrewd buyer of horses always checks the animal's teeth before making a purchase.  If someone was to give you a horse (or any gift), it would be rude to look it over as if you expected it to be flawed.  Accept a gift graciously.

okie dokie! mystery solved!  ;D

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »
Belief is the death of intelligence. -- Robert Anton Wilson

There was no "before" the beginning of our universe, because once upon a time there was no time. -- John D. Barrow

Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response. -- Arthur M. Schlesinger

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline TheBadgerFactor

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »
"I think I bent my wookie" - Ralph Wiggum
There's no food faster than a piece of fruit.