Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: New to the diet  (Read 5936 times)

Offline agre05

• Cub
    • View Profile
New to the diet
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:53:02 PM »
I just started the caveman power diet this past weekend and decided to blog my progress as I go. New to both dieting and blogging so any suggestions/criticisms would be much appreciated.

http://www.thecavemandietblog.com/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:02:18 PM by Tony Bondioli »

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New to the diet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Great! I myself started just under a week ago and I am loving it so far. Good luck to you.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline agre05

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the support. I'm a week in now and I love it. Does everyone eat pretty much whatever they want during stage one? I feel like I've been eating like a pig and yet I've still lost weight and feel just all around better. Are there any reasons for this?

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:13 PM »
Does everyone eat pretty much whatever they want during stage one? I feel like I've been eating like a pig and yet I've still lost weight and feel just all around better. Are there any reasons for this?

If you really follow the rules of Stage One (lots of water, just light grazing on nuts and fruit during the day, etc.), you can eat pretty much anything for your feast and still lose weight.  The reason for this is simply that if you consume less calories than your body burns in a day, you will lose stored energy (fat tissue).  A typical 200 pound man requires about 2,400 calories a day to maintain a constant weight (this varies per the individual, of course)... you'd be hard-pressed to consume that many calories in one sitting, unless your feast consists of something like a block of pure lard.  Of course, if you're eating unhealthy foods, the long-term consequences won't be pleasant, even if you lose a lot of weight, which is why you should be getting into the habit of eating the right foods as you progress into a paleo-correct lifestyle.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline agre05

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
Absolutely, I agree eating unhealthy foods would have longterm consequences and I will definitely be altering the diet this week. I've been drinking plenty of water, which has the nice side effect of having to pee just about every five minutes it seems like. Adapting to only eating nut and berries during the day has actually felt natural and I feel better during the day. I do have some concern about Stage Two though. Eating nothing during the day seems pretty unnatural to me and I'm not sure that I like that. How has everyone dealt with not eating anything during the day? Has staying well hydrated helped? How long has everyone done Stage Two?

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:28:28 AM »
You dont have to follow the stages exactly if you don't want to...... I just started day one eating like a caveman, and i haven't looked back.... you can try this way if you think you'll stick to it..... Just stick to the simple rule of little and often and you wont go far wrong :)

Good luck

Nicki

Offline agre05

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
During the day I've started to notice my breath getting stale. Not much of a gum chewer, are there any paleo remedies for bad breath?

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »
Parsley, mint, cinnamon, cloves...

Make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day, and floss at least once.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
I just read that a couple drops of tea tree oil on your toothpaste will also prevent gum infections and bad breath.

Offline agre05

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »
One thing I've been reading up a lot on is ketosis. Seems to be that this causes a lot interesting things to happen, significant weight loss being one of them. Ketosis involves the conversion of fatty acids into energy. This is one of the ways that we have so much energy during the first couple stages of the Caveman Power Diet despite consuming so few calories. However a side effect of this is that excess ketones are excreted through urine and other sources, which cause our pee and breath to smell a little sweet and funny. I'm pretty sure that my fasting during stage one has caused my breath to be a little different than it normally is. I have found however that having some citrus seems to clear my breath right up. Not sure of the citrus balances out the staleness of my breath or if it somehow counters the effects of ketosis, but either way it seems to do something.