Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: The best way to lose weight and get fit - without the hype.  (Read 46411 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: The best way to lose weight and get fit - without the hype.
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
ok guys i haven't gone away ;) hit a bit of a wall lately hassle every way i turned but have come through it relatively ok. i think i am back on track again. now that winter approaches finding spare time is a bit more difficult. still haven't fully moved onto stage 2, it's hard not to have a spud with the dinner i am irish after all ;D, as you say yourself ,youv'e got to be true to your roots lol ;D
i do promise to try harder ;)

You're doing well mate, keep it up  ;D
"Be true to your biology"

Offline michelle

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 06:04:04 PM »
Hey Matt,Michelle here,How are u going.Just had a look at the site and was very impressed.Sounds like you have done your homework and are still open to new things.The reason I was looking at the site is I am a MAJOR CARB JUNKIE.I know that it is soo bad for me but it just seems to win on a daily basis.Brekkies are usually great,lots of proteins,lunches are also great,lots of salads and proteins ect then about 230 in the arvo it starts.By the evening I am like the monster off sesame street.Instead of cookie monster I am carb monster.I am on my own most of the time so distraction is not all that easy.Was thinking of doing the gym in the eve but when I get home.........
Any advice would be welcome.I might pop in and see ya next week if u are still going in around 6ish.I really need a wake up call
Michelle :-\

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 01:25:48 AM »
Hi Michelle, welcome to the forum  ;)

I like your reference to the Cookie Monster - I think a lot of us can relate to that! lol

Drop into the gym and we'll brainstorm some ideas.  For now, try substituting some fats for carbs, Eg, cheese or antipasto.  Eating fats usually satisfy cravings whilst avoiding insulin spikes.

Offline jbearden65

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 03:12:14 AM »
Quick question.  If I workout in the mornings, is it still okay to go all day without eating.  We read alot about postworkout meals and stuff like that.  I think H/G's would have hunted all day and ate in the evening, maybe snacking on nuts or fruits while hunting.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Jeff 

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 05:01:34 AM »
Quick question.  If I workout in the mornings, is it still okay to go all day without eating.  We read alot about postworkout meals and stuff like that.  I think H/G's would have hunted all day and ate in the evening, maybe snacking on nuts or fruits while hunting.  What do you think?

There is a theory that a window of opportunity exists post-workout in which one should consume protein/glucose in order to prevent catabolism and to replenish glycogen in the muscles.  I think that theory has merit, and I would certainly recommend consuming paleo type foods post-workout.  For example; meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables and perhaps some fruit.

Personally, I have fasted all day whilst doing vigorous bike rides, but my goal on such occasions is to detox, and the price I pay for that is possibly a small catabolic effect, which I don't mind at all.  If my goal was for muscle development, then yeah, I would eat during and/or afterwards.

There is a lot of scientific theory (and dogma) surrounding the post-workout meal - but for the purpose of the Caveman Diet/Detox, I keep it simple.  I would go with what feels best for you, whilst keeping your goals in mind.

Offline munster

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »
hi again. still can't break the carb link. i seem to be hovering around the 105kg mark, with work and home getting the better of me motivation seems to be slipping a bit :(

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 04:47:07 AM »
hi again. still can't break the carb link. i seem to be hovering around the 105kg mark, with work and home getting the better of me motivation seems to be slipping a bit :(

Don't despair - I find that motivation always comes and goes, it's dynamic, much like life :)

Offline munster

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 08:18:22 AM »
hi everyone. still on a flat trajectory! and now with Christmas approaching a little bit of reverse might happen ;).can't be a good boy all the time ;D. i have a head cold which is not helping, (thanks to the lovely damp Irish weather). no matter i will hit the new year with a vengeance! i can actually do a couple of chin ups ;D .so a happy Christmas and peaceful new year to you all and i hope Santa comes ;D

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 03:57:00 AM »
hi everyone. still on a flat trajectory! and now with Christmas approaching a little bit of reverse might happen ;).can't be a good boy all the time ;D. i have a head cold which is not helping, (thanks to the lovely damp Irish weather). no matter i will hit the new year with a vengeance! i can actually do a couple of chin ups ;D .so a happy Christmas and peaceful new year to you all and i hope Santa comes ;D

Happy christmas to you too mate.  And congrats on the chin-ups, it's one of the hardest exercises you can ever do, and it's also one of the best benchmarks for upper body strength.

In regards to the diet, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much.  I've recently been indulging in far too many sweets and breads, and the love handles are on their way.  Such is life.

I tend to go in cycles, for a few months it's really easy to eat like a caveman, but then for a few weeks I get hooked on carbs.  However, I find that when my diet goes crazy, I still have my fitness to focus on, so even though I might be enjoying too many sweets, I can still focus on getting better times/scores on my exercise, and let the diet sort itself out later.

We live in a land of abundance, with food being pushed at us from every angle - it's almost surreal.  It would be inhuman to be 100% controlled all the time.  And frankly, such people bore me... I can't identify with such rigid self control, it's unnatural.

So my words of advice would be; focus on your achievements in fitness, and worry about the diet later.  Enjoy life.

PS Intermittently fasting is great when you feel like you've been chugging down too many bad foods for a while  ;)

Offline paleoman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 05:56:51 AM »
Intermittent fasting is a fantastic habit to get into.

Think about it...

You're a hunter on the African savannah...you slaughtered a wilderbeast two days ago...and there is little left to eat now.

It's time to hunt. Grab your spear. Your gut is rumbling. You feel lean..athletic...adrenalin is kicking in and heightening your senses...time to hunt!!

Dinnertime.....

Embrace your past...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 12:11:36 AM »
It's time to hunt. Grab your spear. Your gut is rumbling. You feel lean..athletic...adrenalin is kicking in and heightening your senses...time to hunt!!

I feel so alive just thinking about that.

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
I noticed one of the discussion points in this thread was weight and weighing yourself on scales. Matt mentioned weighing yourself as being useless and I agree with that statement. Obviously if you are gaining a lot of weight quickly then the scales are a good indicator that something is going wrong, but assuming you are not "blowing up" or "shrinking" at a rapid rate they are quite unhelpful for anything but general long term monitoring of overall weight.

There is a growing consensus amongst health and fitness professionals and sports scientists that weight alone and indeed the entire BMI (Body Mass Index) is way to simplistic and outdated. I myself have known this for a long time already, long before it became mainstream. Some years ago, out of curiosity more then anything I think, I looked at Mike Tyson's weight and height on the BMI and he was classified as obese! I got to thinking about it and realised anyone with more then average musculature or an extremely stocky build comes up as fat according to the BMI. Talk about rubbish! Needless to say the BMI took it's rightful place in the garbage bin of my mind from then on.

Anyway, I'll get to my actual point now as I do tend to prattle on a bit. The growing shift is toward waist-to-hip ratios and with good reason. There is a very strong correlation between these measurements and overall "fatness". It also has the added bonus of showing just how fat you really are; For example, if someone is a very solid person they may have a large waist but in relation to their hips the difference is not very much. Meanwhile there could be a much smaller built person with a waist that is smaller then the solid person, but they have a higher ratio still since they are much smaller. They would in fact be in worse health fat-wise then the solid person. As you can see it is a much more accurate way to measure people and takes their over all body size into account more so then the BMI.

I have been using waist measurement as my guide for some years now (losing 4 inches in 2007) and take it as the only reliable way to keep track of body fat at home without the need for extra gadgets. Pinching the fat about two inches to the side of your belly button is another useful visual observation, if that pinch gets smaller over time, or is almost only skin (CAUTION: Do not get too skinny. It's just plain unhealthy), you are on a winner. I still weigh myself once every few weeks just as a personal interest thing and to keep track of the long term weight trend but it really serves no part in regular body fat tracking beyond that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:07:06 PM by Seeker »

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 03:27:09 AM »
CAUTION: Do not get too skinny. It's just plain unhealthy

Absolutely, ask any Holocaust survivor...

A 12 year study, published in the Dec. 5 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association found that fitness more than fatness determines health and longevity.

The overall results showed that fit adults who engage in cardiovascular exercise on a regular basis outlived the unfit, regardless of their level of obesity or waist size.

For anyone who missed the last part of that, , please read it again and let it sink in;  regardless of their level of obesity or waist size.

Skinny does not equal healthy!  And i'm glad you pointed it out Seeker, it's an important issue.

The rest of the paper is here; http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/298/21/2507

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 03:50:13 AM »
Absolutely Matt.

My information was merely to help people with more effective ways of tracking measurements and body fat and to point out the flaws with scales and BMI alone.

The whole issue of skinny vs healthy is becoming more and more prevalent these days. You only have to turn on TV to see the scores of skinny Hollywood types who you KNOW are not healthy at all. Cigarettes and purging might do wonders for your waistline but it'll put you in the grave long before the fit guy with a slight pot belly. We share the same views my friend and it's great to see that :) Of course, being obese (very overweight, not just a slight belly) is not healthy at all either. As always, moderation and balance win the day.

Offline blablabla

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »
Hi

I really need to lose weight!!! I have to lose 20kg...wish me luck...I'm starting tomorrow.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
I really need to lose weight!!! I have to lose 20kg...wish me luck...I'm starting tomorrow.

Hi  :)

Good luck!  But don't overdo it... be good to yourself.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:40 AM »
Why is 20kg your goal? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What kind of lifestyle have you been living up to this point? All of these things really need to be accounted for before you plan out your goals, and nearly as important, your path to get there.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline joncol

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
Nice post.

I have been enjoying circuit style training for about two years now and as you suggest the method is simple and effective. I have a circuit room set up in the garage using a few simple pieces of equipment: barbell, dumbbells, sand bags and skipping rope. The mango tree around the side of the house is prime for chinups.

Another positive aspect of this form of exercise, and one that is often overlooked, is the communal aspect. That is getting together with other motivated souls. Camaraderie, encouragement and support are fundamental for balanced human beings. A group exercise session is a fantastic way to achieve this goal. If any of you out there want to get together for a circuit session drop me a line via this post.

On a slightly different topic I am regularly out on the trails in Brisbane Waters Nat Park. Great Mtn biking. We are so lucky here on the Coast. Plenty of scope to ride the formed trails and then head off into the bush for some adventure and only minutes from home. Again get in touch if anyone is interested in going for a ride.

Offline joncol

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
A couple of comments on the topic of losing weight.

I would suggest caution when setting goals for losing weight. Remember that muscle is denser than fat. So if you focus too much on the scales you may fall into the trap of losing water and muscle mass. Perhaps the goal should be to lose fat. The best assessment of this is a skin fold measurement.

One other point. As we evolved our bodies developed a wonderful method of storing calories for those times when food was in short supply, and that is body fat. It's a simple equation: calories in greater than calories out = excess calories stored as fat. Calories in less than calories out =calories as fat burned. It doesn't matter whether the calories are from carbs, proteins or fats. If you eat too much or don't exercise enough your body will store it as fat. Excellent when we were chasing game across the plains, not so good for us if we live a sedentry modern life style. Enjoy.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
Excellent advice Jon  ;)

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »
Mike Rowe from the television show 'Dirty Jobs' presents an interesting workout called "Prison Push-ups" or "Burpees."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46VoSA-9Xd8&NR=1[/youtube]
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »
Ahhh, yes.  The burpee is one of the greatest bodyweight/conditioning exercises ever devised.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
Ahhh, yes.  The burpee is one of the greatest bodyweight/conditioning exercises ever devised.

I second that!