Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: The start of being a Caveman  (Read 5203 times)

cbartos1021

The start of being a Caveman
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:02:21 PM »
Hey!

This diet seems pretty sweet. I was always trying to find out what our barely evolved ancestors ate and wondering if it's healthy for us to eat today. I'm going to start this thing tomorrow to see how it goes. I just have a few questions.

Why can't you eat beans or tomatoes? I mean, I get the carbs, they weren't found in the habitats of the cave-people, but weren't the beans?

Also, for stage 1 can I drink beer as my nightly, anything I want to eat binge?

-Chris

:D

Offline Digby

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: The start of being a Caveman
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:29:46 AM »
Hello,

If you look into the Paleo diet, the take on beans is the following:

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Grains, Beans and Potatoes (GBP) share the following important characteristics:

· They are all toxic when raw- there is no doubt about this- it is a fact that no competent source would dispute- they can be extremely dangerous and it is important never to eat them raw or undercooked. These toxins include enzyme blockers, lectins and other types. I will talk about them in detail later as they are very important.

· Cooking destroys most but not all of the toxins. Insufficient cooking can lead to sickness such as acute gastroenteritis.

· They are all rich sources of carbohydrate, and once cooked this is often rapidly digestible-giving a high glycemic index (sugar spike).

· They are extremely poor sources of vitamins (particularly vitamins A, B-group, folic acid and C), minerals, antioxidants and phytosterols.

Therefore diets high in grains beans and potatoes (GBP):

· Contain toxins in small amounts

· Have a high glycemic index (ie have a similar effect to raw sugar on blood glucose levels)

· Are low in many vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytosterols- ie they are the original "empty calories"

· Have problems caused by the GBP displacing other foods

As grains, beans and potatoes form such a large proportion of the modern diet, you can now understand why it is so common for people to feel they need supplements or that they need to detoxify (ie that they have toxins in their system)- indeed both feelings are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, we don’t necessarily realize which supplements we need, and ironically when people go on detoxification diets they unfortunately often consume even more Neolithic foods (eg soy beans) and therefore more toxins than usual (perhaps they sometimes benefit from a change in toxins). More detail on these issues follows in subsequent pages.

Cheers.

cbartos1021

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Today, I started the diet.

I woke up kind of late in the afternoon and immediately chugged some water. I didn't notice anything miraculous about doing so, just that it's water and it's the first thing all animals do is drink a little water to start the day.

Throughout the day, I ate an apple and some nuts. I had to study for an exam I have on Monday so I drank a little coffee as well. Probably not allowed, but I had to to keep me going, but I noticed I didn't need very much coffee because a few things kept me too miserable to fall asleep such as a mini headache and a rumbling stomach.

Every time I felt hungry I'd eat a few almonds and drink some water. It let me last a few hours.

I just finished my nightly meal of bad food (chinese food). Immediately after eating the meal, I felt nauseous. Now, a little after feeling nauseous all I really want to do is go to bed. I'm very tired.

Does these symptoms seem normal? Feeling a little hungry throughout the day with a little headache then feeling tired after the big meal? Let me know!

--Chris

.tigeress

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
I'm currently on day 5 and feeling great but on my first day I didn't even have coffee and ended up cranky as all morning.  I felt more relaxed after eating an apple at lunch time then had a splitting head ache all afternoon and even a little bit the next day.  Day 3 I was happy and my head was fine but i felt a bit weird in the stomache and got bloated for some reason (maybe too much fruit). Day 4 I eased up on the fruit and ate more nuts and seeds if hungry but wasn't really too hungry. Day 5 (today) woke up tired, drank my huge cup of water and woke up instantly am feeling great no bloating. 

I think the body is so full of toxins that it has detox symptoms like headaches bad mood etc. it probably varies from person to person. It's good to know that this is common because starting something like this healthy eating is extreme in our society which is so dependent on processed foods and all sorts of carbs. 

I also found a little excercise made me feel better in general as well. I hope you find this a positive experience as I am.

Offline inflaymes

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
I am a few days into Phase 2.  Yes, you WILL feel sick after eating crap food!   I had some chili the other night that my girlfriend made.  I just had one small bowl. She didn't know that I couldn't eat beans.  It was good though, until after... I felt so full, bloated and sick!  The beans gave me the worst gas ever!  It just goes to show you, if you detox and get rid of what is not good for you, and then eat it again, your body will react as if you had eaten something foul.  Listen to your body every time you eat something you shouldn't be.  I still have a cheat day here and there with some all natural vanilla ice cream...but I just indulge a wee bit.

cbartos1021

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »
 :D

Wow!!

It's only the 5th day of Stage 1 and...

I feel amazing today! I haven't felt so energized! I've been doing sneaky push-ups whenever I get the chance. They are getting easier and easier and I'm not really that hungry at all! Wow! I'm definitely liking this feeling!

--Chris

Offline Calico Jack

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:14:28 AM »
I just started this morning and I'm really excited! I cant wait to see the results.

Offline hellojoy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
I've done the Atkins diet before and also stopped drinking coffee a number of times, both voluntarily and non-voluntarily and every time I get withdrawal headaches. Same with cutting out complex carbs, mainly sugar. It usually only last a day or two, so stick with it! When the headaches go away and your body is rid of the sugar and other crap you will feel better than you've ever felt.

I wondered, when I read this site the first time what the big deal was about that first thing glass of water. I tended to head straight for the coffee maker first thing upon rising and have two cups before I leave the house, along with a bowl of cereal or some toast. The result was that by the time I arrived at work I felt groggy and irritable.

I felt a little cranky and irritable just contemplating changing from my morning cup of joe to a glass of water but I am so glad I gave it a shot! The morning grogginess (soon followed by mid-morning and afternoon grogginess) was gone by the second day. It may have been gone the first day but I didn't notice as I had a pounding headache.