Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Getting my medicinal garden ready  (Read 6649 times)

Offline taimenz

• Scout
    • View Profile
Getting my medicinal garden ready
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:11:19 AM »
Every year i plant two small gardens that consist of vegetables, herbs, medicinal herbs, and some flowers.  I just got the hard to find local seeds from mountainroseherbs.com and they consist of
stevia for natural sweetening                                        Calendula to help heal wounds (works good on my dogs)

Astragalus is good for immune support                                 mullein is for your respiratory system

passionflower gives you good sleep                                   echinacea  is good immune support

i also have dandelions growing in spots around the yard basil, thyme, rosemary, and lavendar i mix the prettier of flowers with some shasta daises and other flower in front of my house and then keep some of the plainer things, vines and vegetables in the back of the house. Its fun to do and the herbs work ill keep a little of each dried for the winter and use them if i need them.
The spirit of wilderness, born into those who seek the quiet placs in the temples of creation, unencumbered by the shackles and comforts of society, is the only reality.  Man becomes real, fulfilling his destiny, nourishing his soul, and touching the Creator with every step. Tom Brown Jr.

Offline preston

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Getting my medicinal garden ready
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »
Thats pretty cool.

I wish i didn't live in an Apartment with no balcony, so I could grow stuff.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
I wish i didn't live in an Apartment with no balcony, so I could grow stuff.

Many herbs will grow quite well in pots, indoors.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Modern Savage

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »
I live in an apartment and I grow lots in window boxes and pots indoors(The kids love it).

Stuff I grow is:

Basil, Rosemary, Marjoram, Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Coriander(Cilantro), Dill, Mint(2 types for teas), Cherry Tomatoes, Chillies and Strawberries;
The cherry tomatoes are grown in old tins!!!!

Also I have some flowers that are natural repellents and attractants. Marigolds(repellent/edible). Fuscia(attractant bees and butterflies)

"We do not own the Earth. We borrow it from our Children" Masai Saying.

"We're Paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded"

"Orthodoxy is the death of intelligence" Bertrand Russell

"The beaten track is for the beaten man"

"Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!"

Offline c0int0nd96a

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:03:39 AM »
I am glad that you give good care and attention to building up your medicinal garden. It seems that each year, you are planting two small gardens consisting of vegetables, medicinal herbs as well as flowers. I do think that is a good way to maintain your medicinal garden, to say the least. Anyway, I am really glad that you have posted some of the pictures of your herbs and plants. I am really surprised to know that Astragalus is good for the Immune system!
hello to all