Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: First Day (Stage 1)  (Read 9041 times)

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
First Day (Stage 1)
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »
I'm 5'11 weigh 190lbs.  Used to play a lot of football before I moved to the US from England about 2 to 3 years ago for my job.  Since then I have worked in an office and slacked on my sporting activities.  My goal is to get down to about 160lb.    I do have a vacation planned in April but I'm not sure if the 160lb target is realistic between now and April 4th.  Thoughts??

I started with Stage 1 yesterday.  I opened my eyes when the alarm clock went off and then it dawned on me DUN...DUN..DUUUUNNNN - "CAVEMAN DIET STARTS TODAY"  Okay...lets do this!  First things first I pour myself a cold 16oZ glass of water straight out of the fridge.  I read that I should get a rush from "slamming" this down - Well actually i got more of a brain freeze as the water was so cold! (Ha ha.)  As planned thats all I had for breakfast and then headed off to work.

At work I sat in my office (hence the gain in weight) grazing on my recently purchased Cashew nuts, sunflower seeds and roasted unsalted peanuts.  I must have consumed around 3 large handfuls in total throughout the day.  I drink about 6 x 16oz glasses of water throughout my working day (and must have visited the bathroom about 10 times!!)  I left my fruit back home by mistake.  So it was nuts and water all day - Oh and a cup of some "Natural" Green tea to replace the usual cup of coffee I have when I get into work.

During the afternoon and the drive home from work I did notice that my stomach felt bloated.  Not sure why as all I have eaten is nuts and water.  Maybe too much water?  Not sure what to think. 

In the evening I went to the gym and did 15 mins on the exercise bike and then 30 mins on the cross trainer (Burning around 300 calories according to the displays on the machines.)

I got home from the gym ready for my feast.  I had not felt that hungry which was surprising to me but I was still looking forward to my feast.  I had Uncle Bens rice and home made chilli that my wife had made.  I piled it on the plate.  The first taste was amazing I must say!  I finished it all off but I then admitted to myself I could have probably stopped with about 10 more spoonfuls left.  Maybe this is where I need to listen to my body - but should that wait until Stage 2?

So there we have it.  Day one completed.  As I say I didn't feel that hungry throughout the day which was good, but I did feel bloated in the afternoon, which again I wasnt expecting without having breakfast and the usual lunch.  It felt better after the gym session though.

Day two has just begun and as I type this to my left of me I have a glass of water and a handful of cashew nuts.   I'll have an apple in about 15 mins I reckon!....

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
Re: First Day (Stage 1)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »
Once that bag of cashews is finished I'd get so ething else next time. Don't think they're strictly paleo because they need quite a severe processing before being eaten. Also gradually reduce the size of each graze down to a small- ish handful each time.....the point of the graze is to eat just enough to tide you over till the next one not fill you up......possibly why you felt bloated after eating them.

Sounds like you're making a great start and you have a great attitude which will take you a long way :)

Nicki

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »
Thanks Nicki

Good information re: Cashews.  I wasnt aware of that.   I'll stop eating them after this bag.   What nuts would you recommend?  I'll head out to the shops to get some more.

Thanks.

Craig.

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
I'd have half and half nuts and seeds..... I think you said you had sunflower which I like...... For nuts I have almonds mostly simply because I like the taste......maybe try hazelnuts too. If you want a variety then supermarkets sell mixed bags :)

Offline blessedswine

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
my supermarket sells roasted sunflower seeds, with no added salt or really anything else, i started today and thats what i been eating but i had no clue about the cashews good to know being i love cashews lol.

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Nicki

What about "lightly salted" almonds?  I ask as I would usually look for "unsalted" but I already have a bag of lightly salted ones that I was going to have instead of the cashews.

If its not good to have the lightly salted almonds - I'm sure someone else would have the bag off me!

Day 3 is underway.....

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
It's your call really.....how strict do you want to be ?

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »
HERE IS AN UPDATE REGARDING MY FIRST WEEK ON STAGE 1.

I've completed my first week of Stage 1.    During the day (including weekends which was tough) I've stuck to the nuts and fruit (apples and grapes) during the day and then having a main meal with the family in the evening.   I haven't eaten bad foods every night this weekas I don't tend to eat bad foods 7 days a week prior to this Caveman Power strategy anyway.    One evening I had a homecooked lasagne (Cheese, pasta and meat of course) another evening I went for a Chicken Thai Curry with friends but then on other nights I had a more sensible meal of Chicken breast and vegetables.  I did pile the plate up as I knew it was the only time I can eat a meal each day.   One thing I need to learn is to stop when i am full - It's hard though as you know you are not going to eat a meal for another 24 hours.   I think over time this will get better.

So as I say - one week completed.  I felt good in myself.  After reading a few posts here,  I wasn't expecting to lose weight in stage 1 as its all about getting off the bad foods that you crave.  I was starting to notice I felt better around my waist though and so with that I took to the scales.   I started off last week weighing 190lb.  the scales yesterday read 184.4lbs - Just under 6lbs in the first week of my Caveman diet.  Wow I wasn't expecting that.  Again that was eating a couple of bad meals during the week (i.e Thai curry and Lasagne's.)   What I believe helped as well is I went to the gym 3 times this week as well.  Two session I concentrated on cardio and the other session on free weights. 

I'm not sure the second week will go as well but you never know hey.  I'm planning on staying on Stage 1 for another 2 weeks before I progress onto Stage 2.  i wanna be able to  really cut out the 2 or 3 "naughty" meals a week out before I really cut back.  I still have cravings for curry's and mexican food.   Also - the NFL Superbowl is on Sunday Feb 2nd so no doubt Pizza will be ordered in for that.....if I still fancy it by then!!

Anyway thats my update!.  Onto Week 2.

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »
Do you normally make your own curry or get a take-away?.......just so you're aware on stage 3 curry is ok as long as you make your own...... My hubby makes a delicious one with coconut milk , ground almonds and spices.

Yummy !

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
I've made curry in the past but its never as good as one at a restaurant!  Maybe i need to become a better chef :-)

I havent looked at Stage 3 in too much detail.  I was trying to build myself up ready fr the tough Stage 2.  I'll take a look now though!

Thanks.

Update:  I just looked at Stage 3 but I didnt see anything regarding foods apart from just eating healthy.   Is there somewhere on the site that's more specific about the foods for the final stage?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:43:00 PM by 7Vinny »

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
Well i am 2.5 weeks into Stage 1.  I will be starting stage 2 on Monday (I wanted to get SuperBowl Sunday out of the way before starting Stage 2 :-) )

I have lost a total of 7lbs in 2 weeks.   I am pleased with this as I read that this current stage is not about losing the weight as that comes with Stage 2.   The first week i lost 6lb and this last week was just the 1lb but I guess that happens.   To add - I never made it to the gym all week so maybe this is why my loss was not as great as the first week, but still a little loss is better than nothing as they say.

Putting the weight loss to one side - I feel better in myself (hmm maybe that is due to weight loss actually!)    I have stopped drinking coffee all together which was a big challenge for me, but then after 4 or 5 days of just water and green tea I think my body has adjusted.    Do I miss the coffee at work - Oh yes!   Do I "need" it though - No I don't think I do.     I'm thinking in the coming weeks I may treat myself to one at weekends though as my wife and i like to grab a coffee at the book shop now and then.  This last week when we went I stuck with a bottle of water!

So as of Monday next week - it's just water for me during the day and a sensible meal in the evening! 

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
Stage 3 is just Paleo correct foods.....you can have your meals when you like though most people still have a bigger meal in the evenings. For me I have 5 small meals a day as I gave a small appetite !

Nicki

Offline 7Vinny

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »
Stage 3 is just Paleo correct foods.....you can have your meals when you like though most people still have a bigger meal in the evenings. For me I have 5 small meals a day as I gave a small appetite !

Nicki

Reading the various stages page agin -  this is what I read:

Morning - First thing you do is down a big cup of water.
Every Day - Eat nothing.  After Stage 1 it shouldn't be that bad.  Just drink plenty of water.
Evening - Feast on one meal of any size. (Meat, Chicken, Fish, Vegetables (no potato or grains.))

Have I understood Stage Two correctly?   That's why i was thinking as from Monday, when I start Stage Two, I will be having just water during the day and then one meal in the evening (Meat, Chicken, Fish and Vegetables) but no more pizza!!

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
Nuts....please ignore my stupidity....I seem to have written this on the wrong persons post.....

OOPS !

Offline MarkHerry

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »
Reliable details re: Cashews.  I wasn't conscious of that.   I usually consume calories.  What nut products would you recommend?  I'll go out to the stores to get some more.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:44:24 AM by MarkHerry »

Offline engel

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Would suggest Almonds and Walnuts. They are the Best....