Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: We need more gyms like these!  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
We need more gyms like these!
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »
This is a Gym in Madison, WI (lucky you, if you live there) that focuses on what they call "functional fitness" (what can you do vs. how big your muscles look).

here's their intro on youtube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc00b1pbgvI[/youtube]

here's their main site:

http://www.monkeybargym.com/

4 daily workouts: http://www.monkeybargym.com/monkey-bar-gym-online/4-daily-workouts/

here's what I found most valuable from their site. If you are totally non-athletic but you want to be, they have videos that will instruct you on how to do an exercise or how to build your muscles to the point where you can do the exercise:

http://journal.monkeybargym.com/videos/?tag=Tips
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:36:52 AM by Lone_woLf »
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: We need more gyms like these!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
I trained there with Jon Hinds a few years ago, and am one of his Certified Natural Trainers.  I highly recommend taking a look at his website, and stopping by the gym if you're ever in the Madison area.

8)
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
By the way...

Jon is offering some INCREDIBLE instructional dvds (worth over $300 USD), absolutely free to anyone who can complete what he calls "The Power Wheel Challenge."  All you need to do is get a Power Wheel by LifeLine USA (which I strongly recommend to ALL of my fellow cavepersons), strap it to your feet, and get a video of yourself walking 100 yards on your hands without dropping.  Simple... but not easy!  The first time I tried it, I had to drop and rest about every 5 to 10 yards, and stop at 50.  My abs were crying for mama, and didn't stop hurting for about 4 days.  Pretty humbling, considering that Jon's website has video of a 50-year-old grandmother of 9 completing the challenge.  One of my New Year resolutions is to successfully complete the challenge and join the Power Wheel 100-Yard Club.

Anyway, I thought that if any of you were looking for a functional fitness-related goal for 2009, this might be of interest.  If any of you decide to go for it, I would really enjoy reading about some other people's experiences.

http://www.monkeybargym.com/power-wheel-100-yard-club-challenge.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:29:08 AM by Tony Bondioli »
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
I think Johnny Grubes' video was a hoax. 155lb grandpa pulling a 2600lb car 20 yards doing a power wheel crawl?! Really?! :o   ::)

I think that's what I like most about functional fitness, the goals are easier to achieve because they are not boring and you can take them outside the gym and use them any time. But my goals are more modest; I'm currently working on being able to do a FULL range squat in an effort to escape the chair and knee-pad paradigms.

http://www.mbgvideos.com/Progressions/Tips_squats.html

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:41:11 PM by Lone_woLf »
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
Excellent resource, thanks for sharing.
"Be true to your biology"