Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Pre stage 1  (Read 10744 times)

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
Pre stage 1
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
Hi all

Just a general hello at this stage. I'm looking through the site and loving what I'm seeing. Some really inspiring posts. I'm 50, approx 270lbs, 5'11", and need to sort myself out. I will be combining this with getting off the booze, so I may tweak things here and there. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. I'm getting myself ready to start.

I assume I should get a 'before' photo up. Watch this space, although it ain't pretty!  :-\

Steve.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
Re: Pre stage 1
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »
Hello and welcome.......

Don't worry about being big...... We all gotta start somewhere !

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
Thank you Nicki! Ok...I've done the weighing stuff..5 foot 11 and a half inches. 266lbs. Chest 48", belly button area 48", waist (trouser line) 38". Day 1 tomorrow. I've stated all this on my facebook page, I hope this is ok? I'm just being up front and looking for encouragement.

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:45:42 AM »
Sure it's fine..... Encouragement can only be good :)

Keep us posted when the weight starts to go down, thou some don't notice this until stage 2. Have a read through some of the old posts, there's lots of info in there.

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
End of day two. I've done the water thing, grazed lightly during the days on fruit, carrots and a couple of boiled eggs. I can have what I like for dinner during stage one. I've been reasonably good, chicken smothered in baked beans the first night, steak covered in baked beans tonight. Strange, I don't normally eat baked beans, but I've had cravings for them. Perhaps I'm pregnant lol. I've found that I'm mostly always on the verge of hunger, but not actually hungry. Its a strange feeling but not unpleasant. I'm only going to weigh myself once a week, so I won't continually bore you all with daily updates.

Steve.

Offline JTRENARY

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
Steve:

Congrats on deciding to take the first step into action and for making the wise decision to get your life back on track.  I'm on a similar path myself.  I have great news for you!  For me, the weird on verge of being hungry feeling dissappeared on the 4th day of the 2nd week.  The last two days have been a lot easier on me.  Unsalted mixed nuts (everything but peanuts and cashews) have been the best way for me to get through that "I should probably eat a bacon cheeseburger"  feeling.  Also, slam cold water all the time.  Lots of cold water.

Good Luck,

Jake
Jason Curtis "Jake" Trenary

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:58:39 AM »
Eating carbs really makes you feel full, but eating good paleo food makes you feel " not hungry " instead. It can take a bit if getting used to, but won't take long.

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 04:18:55 AM »
Jake

Thank you very much for your kind comments and advice. I appreciate it more than I can say. Congratulations to you as well! We seem to have started at a similar time, so perhaps we can encourage each other along the way?

Nicki

I massively appreciate your sage words. I'm actually enjoying that 'weird' limbo land. My body is starting to talk to me already. I've just got to keep listeninig  ;D

Steve.

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »
End of week 1.

I've been fairly good. Water by the bucket full and grazed with fruit, nuts and the odd boiled egg during the day. I've had a variety of meats for my feast with either vegetables or baked beans. No bread, no potatoes, and no alcohol. I have had one cup of tea all week and yesterday I had some chicken whilst grazing, and I've chewed gum three times, but I've been as strict with myself as I could. I've also walked for an hour every day. This is the really shocking bit. I've gone from 19 stone to 17 stone 9lbs.

Chuffed to bits.  :o

Steve

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 03:17:22 AM »
That's a fantastic weight loss !!!......Just goes to show what you were trying to fuel your body with before :/

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
Doesn't it just Nicki  :-[

I've turned the corner now hopefully!

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 04:48:02 AM »
Nearing the end of week 2. I haven't weighed myself yet this week but I feel great! More energy than I've had for years, and I'm getting past being hungry. I'm hardly getting out of breath at all during my walk, and yet I'm really marching hard now. I threw some jogs into the walk, and was loving it. Unfortunately an old knee injury has come back to haunt me, so I can only march for now. I might have to seek the Doctors help if I am to jog again, unless anyone can recommend a more natural alternative?
Whilst I am hardly hungry at all now, I think I will remain at Stage 1 for now. I am trying to let my body 'talk' to me. Grazing here and there plus feasting on different quantities is teaching me valuable lessons about the effects of food. I'm really enjoying the mental side of this new way of eating as well as the physical benefits.
Weigh day tomorrow. After my initial dramatic weight loss, I'm hoping I haven't put any back on!

Steve.

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »
End of week 2, and I've lost another 2 lbs. I'm well chuffed with that, its now 21 lbs or 1 stone 7lbs in 2 weeks. All well and good but I feel fantastic. I've got a long way to go weight wise, but I'm also focusing on how I feel both physically and mentally. I really want to progress to a paleo lifestyle.

Steve.

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 01:49:23 AM »
End of week 3. I've actually realised that I REALLY missed tea this week, and I've been having 3 or 4 cups a day. I just can't seem to overcome tea! Its something that I'm probably going to find harder as the colder weather kicks in. Apart from that, I've been pretty good. I had a couple of glasses of wine with my Dad mid week. But food-wise, Ive grazed on the usual nuts, grapes and boiled eggs. Dinners have been either meat or fish with lots of vegetables. Hunger really hasn't been an issue, it's just tea that I can't give up! ::)

Anyway, I now weigh 17 stone 2lbs (240lbs). That's 1 stone 12lbs (26lbs)  in three weeks. I've lost 4" around my chest and 4" around my middle (belly button) although my waist (trouser line) remains at 38".

One more week on stage 1, and then stage 2. I intend to combine stage 2 with some additional exercise. I already march 5 miles every day and do 100 press ups, but I intend to introduce some light weights to work my biceps and shoulders. Combined, this will be a daily exercise regime of about 90 minutes. Is that about right at this stage?

I'm absolutely loving this!

Steve.

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:35:10 AM »
Exercising at any stage should be what feels comfortable, and whatever you enjoy.... If you make yourself do something thats no fun, you won't stick at it.

Your weight loss has been amazing :)

Trouble with tea .....hmm.... ask yourself what do you get the pleasure from....Is it the warmth??.... the milkyness??.....do you have sugar ( sweetness?)...... Lets see if we can come up with an alternative !

Keep it up !

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »

Trouble with tea .....hmm.... ask yourself what do you get the pleasure from....Is it the warmth??.... the milkyness??.....do you have sugar ( sweetness?)...... Lets see if we can come up with an alternative !

Nicki, I think its the warmth. I've always loved cuddling a hot mug of tea. I do take it with one sweetener and skimmed milk. An alternative would be very helpful!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm seeing good early results but I'm mentally preparing for harder times and/or little progress.

Steve.

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 01:22:26 AM »
End of week 4 and that's stage 1 completed. I weighed 17 stone exactly this morning so that's 2 stone (28lbs) lost. Very pleased to lose the weight but I feel so much healthier already.
I have replaced tea with a very weak, hot blackcurrant cordial.
Stage 2 begins tomorrow. I must admit to being slightly concerned as I have enjoyed grazing, but its only 8 weeks. I shall find out a lot about myself at least!  ::)

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:01 AM »
Sorry just seen the post I missed.....

You can still drink tea, but perhaps switch to almond milk, it's readily available in the supermarkets in the UK. Also ditch the sweetener.....unless it's stevia which is from cactuses. (Aspartame or saccharine are very artificial ).

Great weight loss !

Offline cowley

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »

You can still drink tea, but perhaps switch to almond milk, it's readily available in the supermarkets in the UK.

Thank You! I was worried about this. A tea solution  8)