Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 8980 times)

Offline Scott

• Cub
  • Hurry to meet Death before your place is taken!
    • View Profile
Obesity
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
Obesity  in the States is now a national past time in some respects, I am one of those who fit the American stereotype that in so much I am overweight, never have I been lazy or do I have a I'm mightier than thou attitude. I how ever unlike the majority of my countrymen want change. By some random luck I've stumbled upon this wonderful website you have here Matt. I've read the entire thing and watched all the videos. Needless to say I am impressed by to no nonsense type of program, you get right to the point, it's blunt and best of all it's free. It Caveman Power seems to be pure logic and fact!

My question to you all is this lifestyle change appropriate for some one whom is very overweight in my case in the 300's to jump into it head first, or should time and gradualism be taken? I'm already to start phase one as of now, I just want to know if it is ideal for me the biggest person to start like the rest of you guys right away. I don't want to screw myself over by pushing it in other words.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Scott.
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: Obesity
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
Hi Scott  ;)
Thanks, I'm glad you like the website - and I hope you get something out of it.

My question to you all is this lifestyle change appropriate for some one whom is very overweight in my case in the 300's to jump into it head first, or should time and gradualism be taken? I'm already to start phase one as of now, I just want to know if it is ideal for me the biggest person to start like the rest of you guys right away. I don't want to screw myself over by pushing it in other words.

I'd caution you about jumping in too quickly - scale your way into it - you could do damage to your body if you suddenly starve it.  I would also recommend getting a physical check up at a doctor, and a blood test to identify any problems that may exist.  The idea here is to get a snapshot of your physiology so you know exactly what you are working with.

In summary, take it easy - focus on health, rather than weight loss!!!  ...you can get more aggressive in your approach later, if you want.

I applaud your effort mate, and wish you all the best  :D

"Be true to your biology"

Offline Scott

• Cub
  • Hurry to meet Death before your place is taken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »
Ok thanks for the response Matt, I'll definitely take it slower!!!
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:56:37 PM »
 ???

Your skin sometimes not springing back when you lose weight seems to be weight loss' dirty little secret that I hear about once in a while, but no one talks much about it and so I'm wondering if someone here can give me the straight dope. What can I expect? Would much exercise and/or a gradual weight loss help me avoid this?

I'm in my late 20's. I'm about 6 pounds into the "obese" category (40 pounds min. to lose) and the fat seems to be evenly distributed all over. In fact, I don't really think of myself as fat. I don't have a big belly--I'm really just a bigger version of myself.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:15:41 PM by Lone_woLf »
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline gsc5483

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »
Hello:

I am so sorry you are obese.  However, I would like to say that maybe you could think about taking off inches and then worry about your weight after that improvement.   The only way I could get my body fat off was to stair climb with heavy weights.  I reduced many inches around my stomach and hips.  However, I still have not taken off the weight and I still might not take off the weight.  However, I do feel better about myself.  I did this work in seven months time.  Good luck in the future.

Offline taimenz

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
scott - first off good luck one piece of advice i have is if you do hurt yourself or have a pain from working out give it time to heal, even if its minor. im not talking about soreness but more in the way of pain in your bone, you pull something, twist something wrong.   i also agree with taking it slow and getting a check up but listen to your body, you do want to push it for progress but not over push it.

lone wolf - i don't think your that over weight to worry about skin sagging if its all over. i might be wrong but the last few years ive yo yoed in weight in the summer im leaner because i don't lift heavy in the gym and spearfish alot my weight is about 190 and im 5'10" in the winter i  hit the gym ill weigh 215-220lbs i've gotten stretch marks under my arms while im that size but they go away when i shrink back down.  so i would believe if my skin does that yours should be close to the same over time.  Now i've come to the lifestyle decision to eliminate the gym forever and stay lean and mean im tired of carrying around that extra 20-30lbs and sacrificing movement to strength i hope to hover in the 180-190 range eventually

good luck to all
The spirit of wilderness, born into those who seek the quiet placs in the temples of creation, unencumbered by the shackles and comforts of society, is the only reality.  Man becomes real, fulfilling his destiny, nourishing his soul, and touching the Creator with every step. Tom Brown Jr.