Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: A little warning about GMO  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Abe

• Cub
    • View Profile
A little warning about GMO
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
I hate to disagree with the first GMO topic, but you guys are WRONG.  I think before you come out in favor of GMO, it pays to do a little research.  Look into how they actually do the modifications.  These scientists are implanting snippets of DNA from bacteria, antibiotics, viruses, etc... into these products.  Do you believe the research on possible adverse effects is adequate?  Do you really think they have the health and safety of all people in mind, or is it really more about profit?  Once they "design" a food this way, they hold a copyright for it, and can prevent it's use whenever and wherever they want.  Since crops tend to be wind (or uncontrollable insect) pollinated, these modified plants will be unstoppable, even if they're found to be dangerous.  These companies can prevent seed-saving, a time-honored practice of farmers everywhere, by designing in a "suicide gene", that prevents the next-generation seeds from germinating.  Do a little research into Monsanto, if you'd like to have your eyes opened.  Really guys, this is no joke.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:22:44 PM by Abe »

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: A little warning about GMO
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »
I agree with the overall point you're making here, Abe.  It is the very height of arrogance for Man to think that he can outdo Mother Nature in the design of food (or just about anything else, for that matter).  Genetically-modified food is a bad idea, and a topic that should be taken seriously.  Sadly, I believe the whole issue is slipping in under the general public's radar.  Hopefully, the damage done before people do take notice will be either minimal, or reversible.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
I feel the same way. I don't feel at all comfortable with copyrighting genes, and I don't think corporations (whose very purpose PROFIT for the shareholders) should have anything to do with health or nature, let alone "editing" nature.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »
I'm not in favour of GMOs... but it's too late for all that... all we can do is make sure they are utilised with the utmost caution and intelligence.  My original post goes into more detail; http://www.cavemanpower.com/forum/gmos_your_take-t125.0.html;msg521#msg521

I am very aware of the implicit monopolising and checkmate strategies of Monsanto and Co.  And, I agree with you Abe; private companies should NOT have control over technologies that may threaten such profoundly vital human resources, in the same way as they shouldn't (and don't) have control over nuclear weapons.

GMOs pose an incomprehensible threat to humanity (and many other species).  There needs to be rigorous public discourse and widespread education on the matter.

Here is an an excellent doco on the matter, featuring David Suzuki; http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1074730973352879542&ei=VTMSSejgD5zYqAPuxM2cDA&q=A+Silent+Forest+suzuki
"Be true to your biology"