Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Paleolitic Beyond Diet and Exercise  (Read 8978 times)

Offline Tobias

• Cub
  • YOHIMBE!!!!!
    • View Profile
Paleolitic Beyond Diet and Exercise
« on: September 11, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
A question occurred to me today, in the shower as they often do. If I'm so concerned with the unnatural habits Ive adopted in regards to my diet and exercise what about other aspects of my life. If i am loathe to put processed unnatural things into my body, why do i then slop them on to my body, the bizarre things that go into everything from shampoo to shaving cream, are they healthy and natural? are even the processes of their application truly beneficial. Not to suggest we all give up bathing and grow beards to our feet but it dose cause one to wonder.

As luck would have it i had to do some shopping today, so i picked up one of those alternative all natural soaps, Dr. Bronner's i believe its called, it had a lot of very interesting back story to go along with it, all about the creator's life escaping from Nazi Germany where he was a master soap craftier in a guild and it explains his philosophies on life and health. Anyway ill let you know if i notice anything different, it certainly smells refreshing.

If anyone else has any thoughts or experiences to share please respond.
YOHIMBE!!!!!

Offline Elysium

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Paleolitic Beyond Diet and Exercise
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
My wife makes our soap from lard, coconut oil and macadamia nut oil. There is some chemical she buys - washing soda? - that burns if you get it on you, plus some dried herbs and oils like lavender for scent. The list of ingredients looks a lot better to me than what's on the stuff in the store.

Deoderant I avoid except after exercising at lunchtime in Summer when I'm going to be working closely with someone.

I never use sunscreen and hate it when people put it on my kids...
Regards,
Craig Miles

Offline Kalifornian

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that one of the metals used in deoderant/antipersperant causes alzheimers...

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:33:04 PM »
Aluminium, and I wouldn't doubt it.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
My wife makes our soap from lard, coconut oil and macadamia nut oil. There is some chemical she buys - washing soda?

Baking Soda?
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Elysium

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »
My wife makes our soap from lard, coconut oil and macadamia nut oil. There is some chemical she buys - washing soda?

Baking Soda?

Don't think so. This stuff burns. Lye? Or something like that. It reacts with the fat when you get the temperatures just right and mix them together and forms soap.
Regards,
Craig Miles

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
Yeah, it's lye.  I've known some people who made soap using wood ashes as a main ingredient.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Tobias

• Cub
  • YOHIMBE!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:29 AM »
 ;D ha, anyone here sceen or read fight club? renderd fat, lye, etc. "you could blow up the world with enough soap" "the first soap was made through the death of heros" its actually a great caveman esc book all about escape from modern entrapments back to something primal.
YOHIMBE!!!!!

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
;D ha, anyone here sceen or read fight club? renderd fat, lye, etc. "you could blow up the world with enough soap" "the first soap was made through the death of heros" its actually a great caveman esc book all about escape from modern entrapments back to something primal.

Damn it... you broke the first rule!  >:(

Anyway... Fight Club is the definitive book/film for the modern existentialist - and i'll think you'll find that it's highly esteemed on this forum.  8)

Check this out: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fight_Club_(film)

"Be true to your biology"

Offline rattler

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
i just wanna post regarding the sunscreen topic,  sunscreen saves lives, yeah it may not be natural and it doesnt fit the "caveman" lifestyle, but living in australia, especially in the northern parts we are very prone to developing skin cancer. Sun screen does more good than harm.

id also like to point out that due to migration and evolution that people live in places that arent always desirable for their skin type, a fair skinned red head isnt goin to be able to b in the sun in queensland all day without getting burnt. if you look at australia thousands of years ago when everyone were cavemen their skin was black and less succeptable (spelling) to skin cancer.

I also dont think there was a hole in the ozon quite like there is today, sunscreen protects the skin from uv rays which the ozone layer used to block. Uv rays equals skin cancers.

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:19:31 PM »
In the US there is 2% more UV radiation (the percentage is higher in Australia).

More than when? I don't remember.

Is 2% significant enough to be dangerous? I dunno.

Cordain: People in other countries that eat a natural diet don't get skin cancer.

Not if malaria or contaminated water kills them first.

However we need UV radiation  to turn cholesterol in our skin into Vitamin D. Sunlight, cod liver oil, and supplements are your only source if you are a non-dairy paleo. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to breast and prostate cancer and osteoporosis (calcium is not enough, you need vit. D and other minerals, too).
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »
Ever notice that the higher rates of skin cancer have actually followed the higher uses of sunscreens?
A few chemicals to always look out for include:

Benzophenone: A powerful free radical, benzophenone is activated by UV rays.
Disodium EDTA: The International Journal of Toxicology links this common sunscreen constituent with toxic effects in animal studies, and cites that it alters the structure of skin in a way that allows increased chemical absorption.
Padimate O: When activated by the sun, this PABA-derivative can damage DNA.

There are natural sunscreens out there that work well and keep those with fair skin from turning into a lobster. If I'm going to be out in the sun all day and I haven't gotten my summer tan yet, I do try to use one.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
According to Nora Gedgaudas (sp?), Lack of Vitamin D can also cause SKIN CANCER. And you don't make vitamin D if you have sunscreen on.

Getting your vitamin D through sunlight is the most effective way, To get enough vitamin D from fortified milk, you'd have to drink a quart of milk a day.

Because of kids staying inside and parents putting sunscreen on them when they do go out, kids are starting to get rickets again.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson