Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Olive Leaf Extract  (Read 16745 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Olive Leaf Extract
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »
Whenever I feel my immune system weakening, whether it's due to infectious disease (cold, flu) or lack of sleep, or over-training... I take Olive Leaf Extract.

As a post-hoc solution, Olive Leaf Extract has served me well.  I have managed to avoid a full blown cold or flu for the last 5 years, which is pretty good going.  I have recommended it to friends and family, who've also experienced similar results.

Has anybody else had good results with Olive Leaf Extract?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:41:08 AM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline bodhi9

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Olive Leaf Extract
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »
Olive leaf extract sounds like good advice, I'll try it. I like to drink (not from concentrate) orange juice and take co-q-10 to sort of give myself a healthy pick me up. I also like to add alpha lipoic acid to routine as well. Very important energy producing supplements.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:13:36 AM »
Never even heard it mentioned before... But I will investigate
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Darkfire

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
what about grapefruit seed extract? Any users?

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:31:04 AM »
what about grapefruit seed extract? Any users?

I've never tried it.  Can you tell us more?

Offline peterhanley

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:43:30 AM »
Looking around the health shelves, came across stuff like Artichoke Extract costing a fortune. Thought to myself- why not just eat an artichoke? Are there olive trees in your part of the world?

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »
Are there olive trees in your part of the world?

Yep, but I don't think the key compounds can be utilised by simply digesting the leaves... however, i am only guessing and I'd be curious to find out if it works.

Offline Tobias

• Cub
  • YOHIMBE!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »
I'm really glad you brought this up. I've just done a little research and it turns out olive leafs have some incredible properties here is just a faction of what they can do

"Olive leaf and extracts are utilized in the complementary and alternative medicine community for its ability to act as a natural pathogens killer by inhibiting the replication process of many pathogens.[1] [2] [3] More specifically, it disables infections long enough for the immune system to eliminate them and prevent pathogens from spreading." :o

and you can in fact make a tea from dried olive leaves which contains four times the antioxidants of green tea. who knew? well, i guess you did mat. ha  ;)

anyway great topic, if anyone finds out more let me know.
YOHIMBE!!!!!

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 09:43:37 PM »
Here's a link to a good article about olive leaf extract, by Dr. Mercola...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/09/25/olive-leaf-extract-lowers-blood-pressure.aspx
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Here's a link to a good article about olive leaf extract, by Dr. Mercola...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/09/25/olive-leaf-extract-lowers-blood-pressure.aspx

Here's a snippet from the article; 

The leaves of the olive tree have been used for medicinal purposes since ancient times, and research has suggested that olive leaf extracts have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Now it also appears that a supplement containing olive leaf extract could help lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

A study looked at 20 sets of identical twins with "borderline" hypertension -- blood pressure that is above the optimal level of 120/80, but below the cutoff of 140/90 used to diagnose high blood pressure. One member of each twin pair was given tablets containing olive leaf extract, while the other received no supplements but did get lifestyle advice on lowering blood pressure.

After eight weeks, supplement users taking 1,000 mg of olive leaf extract per day showed a substantial dip in their blood pressure overall, and lowered levels of LDL or “bad” cholesterol. The twins who received no supplements showed no significant change in their blood pressure and a smaller improvement in cholesterol.

If you want to incorporate olive leaves as a natural adjunct, I’d recommend sticking with the fresh leaf liquid extracts for maximum synergistic potency. You can also prepare your own olive leaf tea by placing a large teaspoon of dried olive leaves in a tea ball or herb sack. Place it in about two quarts of boiling water and let it steep for three to 10 minutes. The tea should be a medium amber color when done.

Offline gunfix_r

• Cub
  • I am what I am...............
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 05:01:31 AM »
Matt,  where do you get your olive leaf extract?
There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love.  Its a simple fact.    MAA  James Keating

Justice don't come often,  but now and then it shows up for a second or two,  helped along by a good trigger finger.   

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
Matt,  where do you get your olive leaf extract?

I found some at my local holistic grocery. I think some vitamin shops have it in stock too...
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare