Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Urgent: I need a new workout!!!  (Read 8040 times)

Offline Atlas

• Cub
    • View Profile
Urgent: I need a new workout!!!
« on: July 27, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm new as you can see but i have always been into the Caveman philosophy. It's hard for me to do the kinds of workouts that you guys do because I'm in a pretty developed area and there are no real trails near me. However, i do try to ride at least 5 miles on my bike a day (i usually do more) and i have a bench and free weights in back yard. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me to try using my free weights. Any and all ideas and suggestions are useful
Thanks.
Simply man

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: Urgent: I need a new workout!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:04:11 AM »
Hi Atlas  :)

Sounds like you're getting into things quite a bit, nice work mate!

For a tonne of ideas and workouts that require minimal equipment and space, you can't beat www.crossfit.com

My favourite is this...
3 rounds of;
  • 20 Pullups
  • 20 Pushups
  • 20 Situps
  • 20 Squats
Time yourself with a stopwatch, then aim to better it.  Make sure the movements are high quality too  ;)
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Atlas

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:44:49 PM »
thanks a lot matt, that was extremely helpful ;D
Simply man

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
Don't forget about Ross Enamait. If you don't know him now, look him up at www.rosstraining.com . He's a really good guy who is genuine, no-bs, and he puts a lot of material on his website and is active on his forum. Take a look at this if you need some more convincing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=90xhaI8TNgA

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:49:03 PM »
Don't forget about Ross Enamait.

I second that.

Great suggestions from Matt, as well.   8)
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
What are your goals?

Knowing what you are trying to accomplish will help tailoring any advice we can give to you.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »
Don't forget about Ross Enamait.

I third that !  ;D

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
Check out my boy Jon Hinds (owner of the Monkey Bar Gymnasium in Madison, Wisconsin), kicking butt at the tender age of 45... THIS is caveman training, friends.

http://www.monkeybargym.com/10-8-6rip-prison-workout.html
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power

Offline Atlas

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
wow thanks everyone :D

For BigKhanz, i'm just looking for a difficult workout that touches most of my muscles. A full body workout some might call it. Also, looking for a challenge to get my heart pumping.
Simply man

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 05:02:04 AM »
I think I have just the workout for you!

WARNING: This workout is EVIL Tailor it to your level of fitness

This is the workout I did after taking a month off because of travel. It's a strength and power, fat burning workout.  You will get STRONGER more POWERFUL and SHRED FAT!!!
Only change weight and intensity, not order or reps.

10min warm up. (I like 10min swiming or 5min bike/5min rowing)

3 Triple sets of 5 reps: 185pnd Deep FrontSquats, plyo-box squats, unevenboard body weight Squats(I wear a 40pnd weightvest for the last 2). Do this back to back with a 1 min rest.

5x5 Deep FrontSquats at 225pnds with my butt on to a medicine ball(very deep)
2x3 Deep Squats at 315 pnds

3x5 Stiff Leg DeadLifts at 315
3x10 Deadlifts at 315

4x8 Dumbell Incline Bench with 115pnd dumbbells

8x3 Alternating  Dumbell Snatch (my alltime favorite workout) with a 125pnd dumbbell

10 supersets of 10 reps DipMachine at 315pnds and 5 pullups(no rest, go as fast as you can)

This workout takes me 1-1 1/2 hrs
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...