Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: The 10 Machines You Must Avoid at Your Gym  (Read 9364 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
The 10 Machines You Must Avoid at Your Gym
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:08:03 AM »
Interesting article on Machines Vs free/body weight exercises.

Link: http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/best-body/10_Machines_You_Must_Avoid.shtml
"Be true to your biology"

Offline HelderLuis

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • Fitness Fat Burning
Re: The 10 Machines You Must Avoid at Your Gym
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 02:58:04 PM »
Excellent post, i subscribe everything said there,  but i consider the smith machine the most dangerous of all, they should be forbiden in gyms. nothing can compare to natural movements, that our body is "designed" to do, it's the best way to develop strenght, and mass in a healthy natural way.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:17:43 AM »
i consider the smith machine the most dangerous of all, they should be forbiden in gyms. nothing can compare to natural movements, that our body is "designed" to do, it's the best way to develop strenght, and mass in a healthy natural way.

I agree... machines in the gym are inferior to natural movements.  It's a shame that people value them so highly.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »
I believe that machine use could possibly lead to a negative fitness impact. What good is a caveman if his calf muscles are huge, but will tear if he attempts to sprint?

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44:45 PM »
the smith machine has it's uses. I love using it for plyo-bench (when I want to do some heavier ballistic pushes then I could get from a push-up)and while I wouldn't uses it for squats, there are some great powerlifting moves to help increase your bench or punching power that work VERY well.

But relying on the machines instead of using them to supplement your training is a classic newbie problem.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:42:10 AM »
the smith machine has it's uses. I love using it for plyo-bench (when I want to do some heavier ballistic pushes then I could get from a push-up)and while I wouldn't uses it for squats, there are some great powerlifting moves to help increase your bench or punching power that work VERY well.

But relying on the machines instead of using them to supplement your training is a classic newbie problem.

Very true.  We use it occasionally for clap pushups, that is, with your feet on a fitball, and your hands on the bar.  It's pretty scary, and unstable as hell :)

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:42 AM »
I load up 335lbs, set the stops just above me chest(so I dont die if I miss) and push/throw the bar as high as I can. Nothing like watching that bar crash down to motivate hand speed.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Joe

• Cub
  • Sacramento River
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »
Crap, now i have to change my whole routine.
I would rather be born with luck than skill; You can always acquire skill.

Offline bodhi9

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »
Cool post. I see people all the time using to much weight as opposed to doing the lift correctly.
Nice read.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »
I see people all the time using to much weight as opposed to doing the lift correctly.
I laugh sometimes, because I see guys doing that an known that cheating on the lift is the closest they ever get to full body workouts!!!