Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 5402 times)

Offline wheeler

• Cub
    • View Profile
Newbie here
« on: June 07, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
I have been lurking around for a few days and wow,  what an eye opener is this board!   A bit about me,  basically all my adult life I have been batling with my weight,  a typical yo-yo dieter,  then five years ago I decided I am going to have lap-band surgery (drastic I know, but I was desperate),  I lost 50kg just over a year and that's when my complications set in with the band,  and had them ever since, also had  two ops up to now,  my complications got worse and I have decided to have the band out, its happening tomorrow.   Meanwhile in the last 18mths I've stacked 20kgs back :o  I am scared to death that the rest will creep back on,  but I cannot put up with my problems anymore!   So I have started searching for diets and ways of eating on the net and this is when I came accross the Caveman Diet,  it makes so much sense to me, and its suprising that not more is said about it in the media etc.   I am going to start this, cause it looks to me the only way to get back to normal and curb this inflation of mine.   I dont drink alcohol, not a sweet tooth,  so I'll be ok there,  but I am a carb addict and love the breads and pasta, cheese and anything savoury. 
Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me tomorrow,  and any helpful eating hints would be appreciated
xo

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
Welcome, and best of luck to you regarding your upcoming surgery.  Matt has put together a great resource here, and this community has a lot of great information and ideas to share.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »
Welcome aboard Wheeler - sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, i've been 'off the grid' for a few days.

I hope the operation went well.  And I applaud you for taking a proactive stance against health problems.

The fact that you don't have a sweet tooth is going to go in your favour massively - you're already halfway home  ;)

Be sure to check out sonme healthy fats as a substitute for starchy foods.  You'll feel much better and food cravings will diminish greatly.

If there's anything we can do to help, just yell out  :)
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
Hey there Wheeler, welcome to the board. I also quite like the carbs, my favourite meal beef stroganoff having pasta as the base, and my second favourite meal pizza having a base made of white flour. But the energy you get from fat fuels is far superior to these fake foods.

Offline wheeler

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:15:53 AM »
Thank you everyone,  the op went ok,  I am home but have a lot of shoulder and neck pain from the gasses they pump into the body during the operation.   I've been reading a lot on the subject and it makes more and more sense to me as I go along.   One thing I am not sure,  should I be counting carbs or just eliminating sugars and starches and eat the leafey/root  veggies,  also should I be counting calories?  I guess over the years my brain has been programmed and is full of the old diet dos and donts,  which I am going to have to unlearn...correct?
Thanks again!!!!! :)

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »
Good luck on the caveman diet and I wish you the best. I also want to remind you to not just think in terms of "diet", think of a healthy lifestyle. As such, I HIGHLY recommend getting yourself involved in a fitness program of some sort and making exercise a part of your life. You will have more energy, more control over your weight and a much more postive self-image.  :D

The main reasons people always "yo-yo" is that they don't exercise and they try to "diet" instead of changing the way they eat.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline wheeler

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04:36 AM »
Good luck on the caveman diet and I wish you the best. I also want to remind you to not just think in terms of "diet", think of a healthy lifestyle. As such, I HIGHLY recommend getting yourself involved in a fitness program of some sort and making exercise a part of your life. You will have more energy, more control over your weight and a much more postive self-image.  :D

The main reasons people always "yo-yo" is that they don't exercise and they try to "diet" instead of changing the way they eat.

You are sooooo right!!!!   Thank you!

Offline kfarmer

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:38:28 AM »
A bit late to the thread, but the thing to keep in mind with weight loss surgery is that, quite frequently, the recommendation from the surgeon is protein first, then fruits/vegetables, then (if there's room left -- physically and calorie-budgetwise) you can consider starches.  At < 1500cal/day, most folks if they obey this will already be in a low carb, lower starch world (especially if they're in the severely calorie-reduced diet, like myself at < 600).  Not always -- there are detractors -- but generally.

So the trick for a otherwise successful WLS patient would be:  how did you lose the weight to begin with?

Likely answer:
- portion control, [what the surgery physically enforced in the OP's case]
- more proteins,
- more fiber,
- few/no starches, sugars or processed grains,
- water
- and exercise.

Oh, and one other:
- no grazing.

Grazing can be a problem:  it provides a simple way to ingest a vast amount of food without ever triggering the satiety response.