Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Hey Ma, pass the grubs!  (Read 10411 times)

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Hey Ma, pass the grubs!
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/humannature/archive/2008/06/03/pass-the-land-shrimp.aspx?GT1=38001

Pass the Land Shrimp
Here's something good you can do for your body and your planet: Eat more bugs.

Janet Raloff has the goods in this week's Science News. We're facing worldwide environmental, obesity, and food crises. Bugs are the answer.

Consider the nutritional value of the humble cricket: Each 100 grams of dehydrated tissue has 1,550 milligrams of iron, 340 milligrams of calcium, and 25 milligrams of zinc -- three minerals often lacking in the diets of third-world countries. If you're ever lost in the woods, three crickets a day will meet your iron needs. Compared to beef or pork, bugs deliver more minerals and healthier fats.

Bugs are also more energy-efficient. Crickets deliver twice as much edible tissue as pigs and almost six times as much as steers based on the same food input. And that's not counting their superior rate of reproduction. One scholar calculates that overall, they're 20 times more efficient than steers.

That global food crisis you've been reading about? No problem. An Asian expert reports that in Thailand, each family can raise crickets independently on a tiny parcel of land. In a pair of villages, 400 families are cranking out 10 metric tons of crickets during the peak season.

Bug-eating also reduces the need for pesticides. The more bugs you eat, the less you have to spray. That's what happened in Thailand, where locusts have been brought under control through culinary culling.

You've never eaten bugs? You're missing out. People in most countries eat insects. Central Americans eat butterfly larvae. South Americans eat beetles. Africans eat ants, caterpillars, and grubs. Asians eat fried crickets. Aborigines eat honey ants.

You say bugs are gross? Why? Is it the exoskeleton? The appendages? The weird eyes? Guess what: You already eat animals with these characteristics. They're called crustaceans. Shrimp, crabs, lobsters -- they're arthropods, just like crickets. They're also scavengers, which means their diets are as filthy as any bug's.

Many of these arguments have been around for more than a century. Vincent Holt made the original case in his 1885 manifesto, Why Not Eat Insects? Lately, a Web site called food-insects.com has taken up the cause. Three years ago, an Italian professor published Ecological Implications of Minilivestock: Potential Of Insects, Rodents, Frogs And Snails. A company called Sunrise Land Shrimp is bringing the movement to the United States. "Mmm," says the company's cricket logo. "That's good Land Shrimp!"

See what a few good euphemisms can accomplish? "Minilivestock" and "land shrimp" can do for bugs what "mountain oysters" have done for bull testicles. And for those of you who still can't stand the idea of beetle-munching, there's even better news. Remember that project I've been touting to grow meat without growing animals? Dutch researchers are extending it to insects. Raloff reports:

They're using biotechnology to produce vats of insect cells -- just isolated cells. The researchers described their efforts last year in Biotechnology Advances. The goal, explains Marjoleine C. Verkerk of Wageningen University, is to produce a sanitized source of bug proteins that can be dried and added to breads or perhaps molded into pseudo-burgers. Her team is mass producing isolated ovary cells of silkworms, fall armyworms, cabbage loopers and gypsy moths.

All that good insect protein, without the eyes and legs. What could be better?

Mmm. That's good land shrimp.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Ma, pass the grubs!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:33:33 PM »
Interesting. I'd only ever thought of eating bugs as a survival route, not as a main course.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
Yeah, me too.  Now though... I think I'm gonna have to give it a try.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:01:46 AM »
The Australian Aboriginal people are well known for eating witchetty grubs - their instincts are spot on.  I've eaten a few ants, but i'd love to eat a witchetty grub or two.

I've seen various survivalists resort to eating grubs/insects and I think it was Les Stroud who ate a scorpion... check him out here; http://www.lesstroudonline.com/tv.php

Let us know how you go Tony - i'd be interested in trying it myself!
"Be true to your biology"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »
Yeah, just like eating a few pounds of boiled crawfish!!!!!
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Devin McAfee

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
It's strange, one day I was at a friends house hanging out and drinking beers. I was eating fries when I saw a moth flying around in front of me. Without hesitation I grabbed it and shoveled it into my mouth, chewing and swallowing without a second thought. My friend gave me a look as if I had 5 heads. Could this be my animal instinct coming out? My ingrained knowledge that bugs are a great source of protein? Or was it just my strange self coming out? I don't know but I for one can say, I've consciously eaten a bug or two in my day  :)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
It's strange, one day I was at a friends house hanging out and drinking beers. I was eating fries when I saw a moth flying around in front of me. Without hesitation I grabbed it and shoveled it into my mouth, chewing and swallowing without a second thought. My friend gave me a look as if I had 5 heads. Could this be my animal instinct coming out? My ingrained knowledge that bugs are a great source of protein? Or was it just my strange self coming out? I don't know but I for one can say, I've consciously eaten a bug or two in my day  :)

Perhaps you get all primal after a few beers?  :D

Anyway, it's a quick way to get some protein!
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »

They're using biotechnology to produce vats of insect cells -- just isolated cells. The researchers described their efforts last year in Biotechnology Advances. The goal, explains Marjoleine C. Verkerk of Wageningen University, is to produce a sanitized source of bug proteins that can be dried and added to breads or perhaps molded into pseudo-burgers. Her team is mass producing isolated ovary cells of silkworms, fall armyworms, cabbage loopers and gypsy moths.

More disgusting than the idea of eating bugs, to me, is eating "bug protein" that was grown in a laboratory. -- :P -- At least I know what part of the bug I'm eating!

But seriously, I have tried carpenter ant eggs fresh from the nest and they are pretty good. They tasted like cold, soft pine nuts. I also tried a raw grasshopper (something I don't recommend, based on what I've been told) the texture reminded me of some sort of snack food, maybe potato chips (?), but much more bland.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread... I'd forgotten about my promise to try some bugs and give a report!  Once things thaw out around here (about 4 or 5 months from now), I'll get to it and let you all know how it goes.

Offline Scott

• Cub
  • Hurry to meet Death before your place is taken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »
I've popped a few earth worms down the gullet before because of a bet I lost, well more like a handful over a few minutes, just use your fingers to clean them out, a bit like a shrimp vein is cleaned and some fresh water to rinse, and then swallow them hole, no chewing unless your worried they might crawl back up lol which didn't happen to me.

As for what it's like, no taste as I didn't chew lol, and well of course they wiggle in your mouth a bit and a little in your throat, but you cannot feel them moving around in your stomach that much I know for sure.

So just find yourself a nice compost pile some where and,
Bon Appetite!
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Offline Lone_woLf

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • GOING SANE
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
Does anybody know if leather jackets are edible?

Not these

These

They are the larvae of the crane fly, or so-called "'Skeeter Eaters". They don't eat mosquitos, the adults don't eat anything at all and the larvae feed on plant roots (they also will burrow through potatoes). I have these things all in my lawn, they don't seem to be hurting anything. But there's such an abundance and at about an inch long (2.5 cm) they seem like they would be a worthwhile meal.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson

Offline taimenz

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 07:27:07 AM »
ive been re reading the tracker by tom brown to give me a little motivation.  in one chapter its him at twelve years old on his first solo survival week.  his diet was a snapping turtle the first night, then cattail roots, a quail, an eel the next two one of witch he makes a stew in the turtle shell, a pickeral with a side of cattail root and some sassafrass tea, then he speared a catfish, then a shirtful of grasshoppers. one of the last lines is "I stayed my days, being fed out of the pattern of the woods, until it was time to go." another is "days were lazy, filled with easy summer pleasures. cloud watching, bird watchin, fishing."
The spirit of wilderness, born into those who seek the quiet placs in the temples of creation, unencumbered by the shackles and comforts of society, is the only reality.  Man becomes real, fulfilling his destiny, nourishing his soul, and touching the Creator with every step. Tom Brown Jr.