Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Cheat food?  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Kalifornian

• Cub
    • View Profile
Cheat food?
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
OK so I am at day 7 of going completely cold turkey caveman.  I have been eating hardbiolded egg, bananna, grapes, and almonds for breakfeast.  I snack on almonds, carrot sticks, sweet bell peppers, and grapes (mixed with blueberries) during the day.  I have been eating a decent sized chicken type meal a night (with the exception off Salmon one night).  But today I had a moment of weakness.  A neighbor brought over a fresh pan of Brownies!! I didn't have the heart to turn down the show of kidness.  So there it sat in my kitchen for 10 minutes while I did the antsy pants dance trying to hold myself back.  I ended up wrapping it in tinfoil and calling my friends to come over and eat it for me.  But to deal with my incredible desire for sweets becuase of this I ate a large tablespoon of peanutbutter.

So my question is...would it have been better just to plow into the brownies and make myself sick so that it would possibly kill my desire next time they came around? Or was eating the peanutbutter just as bad?? 

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
Re: Cheat food?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
There is no reason to make yourself sick or unhappy!!!!!!

The only thing you did wrong, is your misuse of the word "diet". You are still falling into the trap of thinking it only means an attempt at calorie reduction in order to lose weight. A diet, and the Paleo/Caveman diet in particular, is a Way of Eating. All diets are. If your body is telling you it's hungry, eat. Just be smart about it. And there is a reason it's called a feast, so eat a giant chunk of prime rib and be happy!!!

Think of this: If a Caveman/Aborigine/Native American came across a old tree full of honey comb, you can bet he would have chased of the bee's and pigged out! It was probably a rare enough occurrence that it didn't hurt him anyway. With that in mind I say give yourself something special as long as it's not a constant thing. You'll be ok and happy, which is the overall goal anyway.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Kalifornian

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
Thanks, thats good advice.  I'm trying to make this a lifestyle and I used the word diet more as slang than how I view it.  I definately love it, feel beeter, allergies have gone away, energy level is up, and body is looking better.  I was just curious more along the lines of if the brownies would be overall worse for me than the peanutbutter or if the difference is negligble.  And your point, which I like, is that if its rare and far between it doesn't really matter. BUT I felt better about myself with being able to not eat the brownies and just setting them a side.  The best thing though is that when I go out to eat with friends I don't crave the garlic bread, or the french fries anymore. 

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
In my opinion you don't have to be a 100% purist, when you're starting out anyway. Maybe if you're hungry for sweet things, you could keep them til the end of the large evening meal - thus limiting how much you can eat of them. On top of that I would keep it to healthier options like fruit and yoghurt.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »
There is no reason to make yourself sick or unhappy!!!!!!

The only thing you did wrong, is your misuse of the word "diet". You are still falling into the trap of thinking it only means an attempt at calorie reduction in order to lose weight. A diet, and the Paleo/Caveman diet in particular, is a Way of Eating. All diets are. If your body is telling you it's hungry, eat. Just be smart about it. And there is a reason it's called a feast, so eat a giant chunk of prime rib and be happy!!!

Think of this: If a Caveman/Aborigine/Native American came across a old tree full of honey comb, you can bet he would have chased of the bee's and pigged out! It was probably a rare enough occurrence that it didn't hurt him anyway. With that in mind I say give yourself something special as long as it's not a constant thing. You'll be ok and happy, which is the overall goal anyway.

Took the words right out of my mouth  :)

BigKhanz is correct, it is a primal urge to consume large amounts, in the event that starvation is around the corner.

Personally, I lack the so-called "willpower" to avoid delicious foods.  So I make sure to indulge every week.  The funny thing is though - the urge to indulge has got less and less, without any willpower.  It's like my brain releases dopamine (feels good) at the prospect of eating good food, rather than a pizza or cream bun.  This was a process that happened relatively quickly too.

Last weekend I ate a bag of delicious gummy lollies (in record time), and had plenty of dessert after dinner... it was great!  And i'll be sure to do it again  ;)
"Be true to your biology"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
I'm the same way, I crave healthy meats and veggies, but sometimes I just have to have something "bad" for me. I just drove across Texas this week, and nothing better for a 1000 mile roundtrip drive like a 12pack of Dr. Pepper and some cookies!!!!
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »
Imike... on your very first post you decided to post subtle links to penis enlargement pills, anti-smoking aids, and affiliate marketing schemes.

Your lack of respect for this website and it's community has been noted.

You are now banned.

"Be true to your biology"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:55:09 PM »
I must have missed that....

I've been gone too long!