Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: China Study  (Read 6776 times)

Offline England Tiger

• Cub
    • View Profile
China Study
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:50:52 PM »
Hi

Matt, I posted a few weeks ago, mentioning brieifly the China Study by C Campbell (and Ph Miracle by Dr Young). Did you take a look?

I have just finished it (audio cd's actually as I spend a lot of time in the car). I can say it is the most startling book I have ever read (ok, maybe I haven't read enough books  ;D. However, I also feel it is the most important book I am ever likely to read.

It is based on indepth scientific study and data. What a change from all the b.s. that fills the 'health & diet' bookshelves in bookstores. (I now understand why nearly all of them are complete b.s.).

I urge everyone to read (or listen to) this book, and then form their own opinions.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: China Study
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
Read the wikipedia entry, googled it, found an article invalidating it.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html

Offline England Tiger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 01:28:57 AM »
Heck, that was easy reading  :)

I agree with the reviewer that the title of the book is somewhat misleading. The China Study only actually makes up a small portion of the book, and a more representative title could have been the 'case for a whole food plant based near vegan diet' (or something equally as catchy!).

I'm no expert. I guess you can find flip sides to virtually everthing. The book does not rely on the one (China) study, extensive as it was, but on scientific data from many and varied sources.

What adds to the books appeal for me is
- the deep academic and scientifc background of the author (and contributions from others)
- that the author had to face a 180 degree u-turn from his early beliefs due to the data he was seeing
- that he makes no attempt to sell you anythying (other than potentially life changing, or life saving, information in the book itself) i.e. he does not appear to be driven by commercial gain - how rare is that these days?
OK, not solid reasons in themselves to validate the book, but still.

You have to actually read the book to get the full picture. The case appears compelling to me (but hey, what do I know). I was already aware to some degree of John Robbins, Dr R Young, Pritikin, etc - this book convinces me enough to at least cut WAY back on animal protein (and processed foods of course) and look for ways to significantly increase my whole food plant based consumption. 

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
- that the author had to face a 180 degree u-turn from his early beliefs due to the data he was seeing

..the mark of a true scientist.  I love it.

I have done some reading on it, and I have read numerous criticisms.  However, the criticisms seem to attack the semantics rather than the spirit of the experiments, indicating that the critics are very hard pressed to debunk it.

I would have to listen to the audio version in order to give my critique - which I intend to do.  I've got the Ebook, but not the audio book (yet).

@Tiger: if you're into audio books/lectures, check out these links;

http://feeds.feedburner.com/WgbhForumNetwork
http://www.lse.edu/resources/podcasts/rss/publicLecturesAndEvents.rss
http://feeds.feedburner.com/tedtalks_video
"Be true to your biology"

Offline England Tiger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:44:32 PM »
Thanks Matt

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »
I've thought about this again, and it may have a point. I keep forgetting that not everyone has access to healthy meat. What's very likely is that it studied average meat-eaters, probably Americans, whose beef is contaminated with dioxin, DDT, given growth hormones, estrogens, fed on grain etc... In New Zealand we're lucky to have pasture raised grass-fed beef.

Offline England Tiger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 12:14:33 AM »
Correct Phanatic.
I'd urge everyone to at least read the book, then form their own opinions.

Offline Enigma

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
Great Book! However, my main qualms are as follows:

1. The studies conducted were on traditional grain-fed, soy-fed or corn-fed meats.
2. The studies were conducted on lab rats, whose physiological make-up varies greatly from our own. Last I checked, I stood more than 1 inch off the ground and I didn't have a tail  ;)
3. The studies conducted consisted of traditionally "processed" protein powders from traditionally raised (grain-fed) and hormonally injected cows.

The only conclusion this book draws for me is that processed dairy from unhealthy "meat-machines" is never a good thing, especially if your a rat!  ;D

What I would love to see is:
1. A study wherein the participants are actual human beings.
2. Natural, organic, grass-fed sources for meat and dairy. The way nature designed such things.