Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: A little experiment to reinforce what we already know.  (Read 6225 times)

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
A little experiment to reinforce what we already know.
« on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
Well, today I got up and found there wasn't a hell of a lot to eat - food, I mean. Just crap like bread and jam. So I decided to live a day in the life of your average person, nutritionally. The only thing I couldn't replicate was cereal for breakfast, as we didn't have any.

I lived on sandwiches, with high glycemic things like apricot jam. Toast with honey. Milo with sugar.
The results? Pretty much as you'd expect. I didn't have a huge loss of energy, but I think thats due to insulin sensitivity gained by the paleo diet. The insulin cycle kept me hungry every couple of hours, to be superficially met with more carbohydrates - making me hungry again in a couple of hours. By the end of the day, I was visibly (to me) fatter!

This is nothing new, just a reinforcement of old. It's no wonder so many people get fat, with doctors prescribing cereal and other horse-food as things omnivores should be eating!

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: A little experiment to reinforce what we already know.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
doctors prescribing cereal and other horse-food
haha, yeah, that's a good way to put it.

Anyway, I totally agree... my Mum made me home-made bread recently, which I ate.  The result; for two days I was excessively hungry.

I am very cautious about consuming anything in the High GI spectrum because I know that the ensuing blood sugar withdrawal is horrible.  And as you've pointed put, most people are unaware of their sugar-dopamine addiction.

I encourage everyone to break the High GI addiction.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »
I recently found out that whenever I oversleep, it is because of carbohydrates the day/night before. On carbs I need 10-12 hours sleep after a normal 16 hour day. But on fat fuel, I can be up 20, 22 hours and only need 7 hours sleep - and have PLENTY more energy.

Offline Kalifornian

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
This is something I have noticed now that you point it out.  I used to be chronicly sleepy after 8, 9, or even 10 hours of sleep.  The last week I have been waking up on 7-8 hours of sleep and been going through the whole day with energy.  And I sleep better too.  MAn I love this lifestyle (don't call it a diet!!)

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
Ah good, I'm not alone then.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
MAn I love this lifestyle (don't call it a diet!!)
Good call

I haven't had the sleep problem, but the bloodsugar crash REALLY leads to me over eating. I already have the metabolism of a rabid mongoose, and the High-GI foods really throw me off.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline rattler

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »
hey there,

ive been living like a caveman for the last couple of weeks, (minus the cave) and am really enjoying it.

After reading this thread, i had a light bulb moment about how late i was staying awake. Up until a couple weeks ago i would go from work to training to home for dinner then couch, i would be asleep on the lounge by no later than 830 and rising at about 630. in the last couple of weeks i have continued to wake around six to train but have been staying awake till 1030 or so with no "effort". Im stoked about this but no where near as stoked as my girlfriend, who was constantly blowing up bout me falling asleep so early.

thanks everyone for your comments