Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Low Carbohydrate Diets: Why You Don't Want the "Experts" to Tell You What to Eat  (Read 8514 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Here is an interesting discussion on the merits of Low Carb diets.

From the article:
"Diabetes may be described as a disease of glucose intolerance: high blood glucose is both the characteristic indicator and the cause of complications. The loss of control of glucose metabolism is what makes a low carbohydrate diet a good therapeutic approach, and it's why I'm astonished that experts encourage people with diabetes to eat carbohydrates and then "cover" them with insulin."

Richard D. Feinman, PhD, is Professor of Biochemistry at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, co-editor-in-chief of the journal Nutrition & Metabolism, and Director of the Nutrition and Metabolism Society

Visit the website here: http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/08/22/5383.html

Another interesting article: Got Type 2 Diabetes? Eat Like a Hunter-Gatherer Instead of a Farmer.
Visit the website here: http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/08/22/5383.html

............................................................................................

The Low Carb debate is a controversial one indeed, and I believe that the truth of the matter can be discovered by drawing upon the wisdoms of Anthropology and Human Biology.  And thankfully, we are seeing more evidence to support the merits of Low Carb eating emerging from those fields of study.

In short; certain foods have kept us hominids thriving for millions of years - and it's impressively obvious that it wasn't white bread and breakfast cereal that did it.  The fact that modern health organisations fail to appreciate such a simple fact is, in my view; suspect.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:30:17 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
The only useful thing about the farmer diet I can see is milk. I'm not talking about pasteurised, homogenized "for our safety" crap, but real milk that fosters growth and recovery. I can see it being useful for cavemen and athletes.

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
Can someone help me understand the connection/relationship between gluconeogenesis and ketosis?  I have read for years that not consuming carbs would force the body to burn fat, but that it's an inefficient method resulting in bad breath and liver damage, at least over time.  Things that I have recently read about gluconeogenesis suggest that it's a very normal and healthy process. 

So, how is low carb defined?  Does it mean fruits and nuts and veggies should be the only carb source?  Or that whole, unprocessed carbs, which could include brown rice, quinoa, etc can be a good carb source?  I've heard both claim to be low carb.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
The only useful thing about the farmer diet I can see is milk. I'm not talking about pasteurised, homogenized "for our safety" crap, but real milk that fosters growth and recovery. I can see it being useful for cavemen and athletes.

I'm still on the fence as far as milk is concerned.

I've read through numerous scientific documents regarding the biological effect that milk has on adult humans.  Most papers I've read suggest that milk is potentially harmful at worse, and non-essential at best.  However, I don't have enough empirical evidence to come to a solid conclusion either way.

I'm open to hard evidence, for and against, and until i'm convinced either way... i'm sticking with the Anthropologists.

Anthropologists have found that the lactose tolerance variant of the lactase gene only became common after dairy farming, which started around 9000 years ago in Europe.  So, therefore, I err on the side of caution and avoid it when I'm eating a strict Paleo diet.

Also, lactose intolerance can be induced if you omit dairy from your diet for an extended period, which (in my opinion) raises doubt about milk's validity.

This is definitely a massive topic, and perhaps we can get into to it later, but for now, i'll keep having milk with my coffee :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:04:51 AM by Matt Emery »

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
So, how is low carb defined?  Does it mean fruits and nuts and veggies should be the only carb source?  Or that whole, unprocessed carbs, which could include brown rice, quinoa, etc can be a good carb source?  I've heard both claim to be low carb.

Low carb is a way of saying; "Low GI" (Glycemic Index).

You can think of carbohydrates as; Simple, Complex or Fibrous.  And I typically recommend Fibrous Carbs for people because it has a negligible effect on blood sugar levels, and it helps cleanse the intestinal tract.

Fibrous carbs are things like; roughage such as green leafy vegetables, broccoli and and the skins of various vegetables and fruits.  And generally speaking, it doesn't include rice, bread, pasta and grains (complex carbs).

And... I'll get to the rest of your question a bit later because I am going to sleep now... goodnight :)

Offline Atlas

• Cub
    • View Profile
I started watching the carbs i ate sticking to the carbs more from fruits and vegietables. I notice a loss in fat especially around my gut. However I also noticed a loss in muscle mass. I understand that carbs are important and often we eat the wrong carbs, but which carbs should i be eating to keep my muscle?
Simply man

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
I started watching the carbs i ate sticking to the carbs more from fruits and vegietables. I notice a loss in fat especially around my gut. However I also noticed a loss in muscle mass. I understand that carbs are important and often we eat the wrong carbs, but which carbs should i be eating to keep my muscle?

Fibrous carbs - broccoli, spinach, and other green leafy vegetables.  Pretty much anything you'd put in a salad.

Offline zenrn

• Cub
    • View Profile
Are salads a good choice, mixed greens and cooked greens like collards, kale, mustard etc.?