Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

How many hours a week do you watch Television?

I don't watch TV
15 (27.3%)
1 hour
4 (7.3%)
3 hours
8 (14.5%)
7 hours
7 (12.7%)
10 hours
5 (9.1%)
15 hours
3 (5.5%)
20 hours
6 (10.9%)
30+ hours
7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: 3 days without television, can you do it?  (Read 29394 times)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 3 days without television, can you do it?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 12:55:40 PM »
I havent had cable T.V. in a little under 2 years now. and I prefer it. now having a T.V. to watch DVDs and play some XBox on, gotta have that lol
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline Modern Savage

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 07:25:38 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the site. Our house has a tv for DVD's and French cable which is a great way for us to learn the language in this country. As we emigrated here just over 2 years ago with only a very basic knowledge of the language.

While we were living in England all I used to watch was Discovery and National Geographic type shows.
"We do not own the Earth. We borrow it from our Children" Masai Saying.

"We're Paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded"

"Orthodoxy is the death of intelligence" Bertrand Russell

"The beaten track is for the beaten man"

"Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!"

Offline Digger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
I guess this is my crutch.  I love watching DVD's, and TV shows on DVD's.  I'm not abig cable person though, does that count?  LOL
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” - John Wayne

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »
Unfortunately TV is my nemesis. I did go about a month without TV 12 years ago and I did alot of reading instead and didnt become more active. I feel like Homer where he goes to that island to journal his thoughts. "Why didnt I bring a TV"

Hopefully I will conquer my TV addiction soon and unlike last time not replace it with books

Offline Maph3rs

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 05:49:02 AM »
T.V has always been a part of my life. Always had it around me. My aunti however lives on a farm on her own and she barely watches the thing. She would prefer a nice good book. Though since discovering Paelo I think Im going to be changing my familys lifetyle without them knowing it. When we go grocery shopping then I will add more natural foods and start to portion control a bit more. also we are gonna get some board games and start spending time together instead of zombies in fron tof the tube!
"Sir, The impossible we can do right now. Miracles take a little longer".

Offline rabbitty

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
I grew up without a TV.  My parents got rid of it right after they got married deciding it was definitely more bad than good and they didn't want to raise their kids around it.  We had acreage with cows, chickens and gardens so I have a very clear understanding of where my food comes from, and am very grateful that I was given such a healthy diet and healthy overall upbringing with lots of outdoor time.  My husband has to have a TV so we have one but we don't get cable so we don't watch it often.  I can't even remember the last time I watched it.  However, hulu is a different story and I've developed a bit of an addiction to it... in fact, ironically, if it weren't for a show I watched on hulu, I wouldn't even know about the caveman diet! 

From my most recent understanding,  it's best not only just to limit TV, but also all screentime (TV, computer, video games) because it's unhealthy for both body and mind to sit sendentarily staring at a screen for hours every day.  (And here I am doing just that.)  :P
But I agree- TV is the worst.  At least with internet and video games you are required to actually do some thinking for yourself to make it work and you have some control over what comes at you.  With TV you're just spoon fed whatever mush the media wants to push into your mind and 99% of it is pure garbage.

How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
 I watch shows online. And even then, usually only in the winter.

Offline Brett

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
With ease! I'd rather stare at a wall than watch that rubbish!

Offline Jana

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:49 AM »
I was tv free for 14 years. Now there is one in the house and it's more or less a disturbing factor for me. I don't watch it but I can hear it.
Cavewoman since March 8 2012.

Offline zenrn

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
I voted 30+ out of honesty. Can I go three days without... sure I can. Wife says yes also, but only when we are camping-lmao.

Offline Stewie

• Tribal Moderator
  • Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 02:17:45 AM »
I could easily go 3 days with no TV. However i am a sports fan and like to watch live sports when i can. Which is sometimes less than once a week. These days i prefer to listen to the radio. I get more enjoyment from the radio than i do from the tv. I can still be busy whilst the radio is on where as if it's the tv then you are just stuck to the chair.

Offline Natureman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
TV gives me a headache. I watched The Bachelor this past Saturday for about three minutes. Drove me crazy. Seems like TV turns people into zombies.