Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

How many hours a week do you watch Television?

I don't watch TV
15 (27.3%)
1 hour
4 (7.3%)
3 hours
8 (14.5%)
7 hours
7 (12.7%)
10 hours
5 (9.1%)
15 hours
3 (5.5%)
20 hours
6 (10.9%)
30+ hours
7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: 3 days without television, can you do it?  (Read 29395 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
3 days without television, can you do it?
« on: March 24, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »
I rarely watch television - and I think that TV is the opiate of the masses, and TV ads make my skin crawl.

Who's keen for a 3 day boycott of television?

Edit:  television as in; free-to-air, cable and other commercial television.  Basically, anything with advertisements, or that which is blatantly influenced by corporate sponsorship.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:23:16 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 days without television, can you do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
The only television in my house is used for the viewing of VHS cassettes and DVDs.  We don't have cable or sattelite t.v. ... not even an aerial antenna.

My wife and I collect several television series on DVD and, a few nights a week, watch a couple of episodes after the kids are in bed.  We also have a fairly large movie collection and on the weekends, our family sometimes watches a movie or two.

Our two older kids (ages 13 and 7) have to earn "points" toward screen time by doing their daily chores, spending time reading, etc.

This way of doing things has really worked well for our family.  My wife and I feel good about the fact that our kids (and ourselves!) aren't being constantly bombarded with advertisements for stuff we don't need.

Matt, I'd like to participate in your poll, but need a bit of clarification first.  When you ask how much television we watch in a week, do you only mean actual t.v. broadcasts, or does time spent watching non-commercial DVDs, etc., also count?

Either way, 3 days without television wouldn't be too difficult for me.  In fact, I've always found that, once people separate themselves from the flickering box, it actually gets easier as time goes by, to the extent that it actually becomes difficult to find time to sit down and stare at the bloody thing!

Great topic!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:21:14 PM by Tony Bondioli »
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
I have a similar setup to yours Tony.

When I go to friends places that have the TV on, I'm usually fascinated at the surrealism of the content,  and horrified that some of it is actually claiming to be reality.  For example; current affairs, TV ads, reality shows, etc.

I often get accused of not keeping up with reality because I do not know (or am indifferent about) who won the latest football game, or who's in the top 40 charts, etc.  Which to me, is at once a compliment and an ominous warning -  alerting me to the fact that TV is capable of distracting people to the point of docility.

The amount of people (whom I interact with) that believe what they hear on television is profound, and it frustrates me because TV in general is not an accurate ambassador for the truth.

For example; people watching a current affairs show tend to get fired up over certain issues, but upon deeper inspection it is clear that the TV show has taken some facts out of context and presented inaccurate information in order to elicit an emotional reaction in their audience - all for the sake of ratings.  This is entertainment, not journalism.  The former indicates a suspension of disbelief, while the latter doesn't.

Current affairs shows could have a disclaimer at the end of the show saying; "we were only kidding.. seriously, it's not real".  :P

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »
The purpose of television shows has almost always been to entertain and attract as many viewers as possible. Still you can learn a lot from factual documentaries. I download the few shows that I want to watch from the internet, haven't really watched anything apart from the odd episode of the simpsons on telly in ages.

Offline England Tiger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »
 "I do not know (or am indifferent about) who won the latest football game"

Now you've gone too far. Now I'm worried about you  :)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »
"I do not know (or am indifferent about) who won the latest football game"

Now you've gone too far. Now I'm worried about you  :)

haha... fair call.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:01:27 AM »
Edit:  television as in; free-to-air, cable and other commercial television.  Basically, anything with advertisements, or that which is blatantly influenced by corporate sponsorship.

Thanks for the clarification, Matt.  I've rocked the vote!   :P
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Kels

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
Haven't been here in a while, so I was thrilled to see this topic, Matt! I don't watch TV either. I watch movies on my computer sometimes (like Saturday nights because I have no life), but no TV. I dropped cable back in 1996, and I lost count of how many thousands of dollars I have save not having that. The most important thing I've saved, though, is my sanity. Like you, I've seen TV when at friends' or family's homes, and it makes my skin crawl. I really am irritated by it.

I totally agree about it being the opiate of the masses - the new religion! Ever watch people watch TV? Gracious, but their eyes are glazed over, and it is like they are no longer conscious. It is actually kind of scary when you think about it. I wear it as a badge of honor that I don't know the latest stars, anything about their scandalous lives, or the latest products out there (usually crappy pseudo foods that we would never touch, right?).

I fill my free (i.e. not at work) time with reading, archery, working out, and just living. And reading cool forums like Caveman Power.  :)

Thanks for starting this interesting topic, Matt! Take care.

Kels

Offline TrailGrrl

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
The hubby and I both suck at trivia night for all the new stuff.  I only watch tv when at a bar (sports) or someone else's house and it is on.  Now I do like movies and dvd's of tv shows such as old Star Trek.  I don't even turn the tv on myself since it is in the basement area.  So really, I don't even watch an hour a week.  I love to read, so maybe this is why I don't turn it on.  Oh yeah, that and the fact that it is all CRAP!  Reality TV is just crazy.  I do like those guys on MythBusters and a lot of Discovery Channel types of shows.

TrailGrrl

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »
Recently, i've been watching lectures on "Neurobiology and Human Behaviour".  After watching the lecture (12 hours or more later) I do further research on the internet - usually only 20 minutes.  Doing this gives my brain enough time to soak up the lecture before concreting it with the extra research.  It has worked wonders as a learning method.

Offline Kagofast

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
What a sad bunch of people you are.  They key to life is balance and moderation.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »
What a sad bunch of people you are.  They key to life is balance and moderation.

So, nearly a year after showing up on this board to ask for help for your rosacea, you decide to drop by and hurl insults (and mis-typed, fortune cookie advice... I assume you meant "the key to life")?

Rrriiiiiiight.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:52 AM »

You are now banned.

As the "Acceptable User Policy" states: there is zero tolerance when it comes to insulting other members.

Devin McAfee

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:13 PM »
I rarely watch television, the only channels I watch are the Discovery Channel and National Geographic Channel. I don't watch sitcoms or reality shows, I have a life of my own I don't need to watch somebody else's. These channels can actually be informative and often cover interesting subjects.

As far as sports go, I watch soccer and football. This is not because I want to know who wins what but instead because I actually enjoy watching the sport itself.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »
I'm self-employed so I pretty much always have a TV or radio on somewhere. I also watch a lot of movies. Granted after spending my day on the mats, in the weight room, or in the cage, it's very nice to be able to just sit and relax. 8)

And where did that guy come from? Totally out of left field with that comment. At 1st I thought maybe he just didn't express his self very well, but I cant even see that as an excuse!!!

You are now banned
He got off easy. One caveman talks like that to another, and he was gonna get a club to the head. But then civilization crept in, and now you just get banished...
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »
People say everything in moderation, but I really believe some things really shouldn't be consumed in any quantity. For example your margarines, aka hydrogenated oil or "plastic" fats. There are some things that don't serve any purpose at all in the diet.

Offline Darkfire

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
I don't watch tv. Do not have cable. In the last 16 years I have had cable for 8 months back in 1993. TV is surreal to me. I do watch DVD movies maybe 4 a month. I have the internet tho, is it better?

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
I don't watch tv. Do not have cable. In the last 16 years I have had cable for 8 months back in 1993. TV is surreal to me. I do watch DVD movies maybe 4 a month. I have the internet tho, is it better?

In my opinion; the internet is far superior to TV.  The internet is the world's biggest library at your fingertips, and it's open 24/7/365.  It's changed my life in in  a very positive way, and has helped me to self actualisation in more ways than I could of imagined.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:50:27 PM by Matt Emery »

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
I can't seem to escape t.v everywhere I go there's a t.v sitting right in front of me.  ???   my parents will spend days on end in front of the t.v if they could...
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline JoshBanya

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »
I have a bunch of tv's in the house with verizon fios, personally i don't care much for TV as most of the channels suck, loving Comedy Central (Daily Show) but my parents have it for News and much else.

I could go without TV for 3 days, i have a Strong PC right infront of me.

Offline WarriorPrincess

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:13 PM »
In my opinion; the internet is far superior to TV.  The internet is the world's biggest library at your fingertips, and it's open 24/7/365. 

TOTALLY! 

We don't have cable, dish, or even an antennae to watch regular TV.  We do have a large DVD collection, though, and hubby puts a movie on nearly every night, but it's mainly just for "background noise" while we surf the net and/or read.  I'd prefer listening to my iTunes, but whatever, I don't mind... and the movies provide a lot of laughs, especially when we quote them at opportune moments in the day.

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
I myself would be lying if I said I don't have a love affair with the device itself. Besides The Simpson's and a few other cartoons I do not watch much TV. I do enjoy Discovery and History Channel but rarely get the chance to watch them. In the end I use my television the most for Blu-Rays and Video Games. To say that I love video games would be an understatement. I just finished playing a game called Heavy Rain and I must say the gap between cinema and video games is becoming very thin.

Now to answer the simple question can I go 3 days without TV? Yes. I enjoy it but I do not need it.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline Darthash

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »
I don't watch TV, though i do what TV shows/movies. I have a good collection, though i could go with out it and just read a book or something, i can't get away from a damn computer :( since i work on them all day i am just getting sick of em. haha.

Offline AlexG1980

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
brand new to the site and the forums, but i have to say, well done matt. i am impressed with everything and am going to start the system tomorrow. but this topic actually made me stop and think about how much i actually watch tv. i'll turn it on in the morning as some noise while i get ready for work, but other than that i dont actually WATCH it. so starting today im taking your challenge, and not turning the tv on for 3 days, not even for movies or video games. im going to enjoy the great outdoors and live it up!

Offline Blue

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
Hi
I'm new to the site and I'm Italian...so ..well first of all sorry for my english.
I don't have the tv!!!  ;D ;D since I moved to my new apartment 3 months ago!
And I really live better....

ciao