Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: lightheaded  (Read 7421 times)

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
lightheaded
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:33:34 AM »
Is it typical to feel some lightheadedness/headache during the day when near-fasting?  I have eaten some fruit and veggies throughout the morning, but I feel a little off.  I don't really feel hungry in a stomach growling sense, so I wonder if this is just an adjustment to a decrease in food consumption in the early waking hours?

Thanks.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: lightheaded
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Maybe you have low blood pressure, which you should get checked out. Do you eat enough iron in your diet?

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
I think my blood pressure is fine.  Iron should be ok, too.  I eat red meat once or twice a week, lots of spinach.  I ended the afternoon with a headache that went away with Advil.  I wonder if I should try eating more for "lunch" and taper to a full morning/afternoon with just fruit, veggies, nuts, an attempt to "phase into" phase one of the Caveman Power Diet if you will.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:33 PM »
Is it typical to feel some lightheadedness/headache during the day when near-fasting?  I have eaten some fruit and veggies throughout the morning, but I feel a little off.  I don't really feel hungry in a stomach growling sense, so I wonder if this is just an adjustment to a decrease in food consumption in the early waking hours?

Yes, it is normal to feel light-headed, I experience this when do  Phase 1 of the diet.  This is largely due to the sudden shortage of simple carbohydrates available for the brain.  Also, the stabilisation of blood sugar levels can have an impact on some people, as they are not having the ups and downs that a high GI diet typically causes.  When you stop sedating yourself with High GI foods, the brain ceases to produce the 'dopamine rush' caused by blood sugar spikes.

Your brain has to learn how to get it's energy from fats and proteins, rather than the easily broken down carbohydrates.  The human body is an amazing organism - it quickly adjusts to this diet, which makes a lot sense, considering that for hundred of thousands of years the human body has preferred proteins and fats over carbohydrates.  So when you do the Caveman Diet, you're actually eating exactly what your body biologically requires.

Once you get past the light-headed feeling (which usually takes about a week) you should feel an increase in energy levels and mental clarity.  Additionally, you may feel more in touch with your emotions and your senses will become more acute.

If the light headed feeling does not subside, then play it safe and eat some of the food that you were eating before the light headed feeling started.  Stick on the side of caution my friend, it's a life long journey, there's no hurry.  So go in easy, and use common sense.

All in all, it's exciting stuff, good luck  :D
"Be true to your biology"

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:54:20 AM »
As I understand it, human brain "runs" on carbohydrate.  During the Caveman Diet does the brain run on carbs stored in the muscles and liver, reserves that are restocked by the evening feast? 

What is the opinion on what is an appropriate amount of protein during the evening meal?  It too much is taken in, won't it be stored as fat, since carbs are the body's preferred fuel source? 

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
As I understand it, human brain "runs" on carbohydrate.  During the Caveman Diet does the brain run on carbs stored in the muscles and liver, reserves that are restocked by the evening feast? 

Yes, that is correct, but it is temporary.  Be aware that Ketosis (the conversion of fat into energy) or Gluconeogenesis (the making of sugar from non-sugar substances) are not the end goal, they are processes that can happen along the way whilst you stabilise your blood sugar level.

What is the opinion on what is an appropriate amount of protein during the evening meal?  It too much is taken in, won't it be stored as fat, since carbs are the body's preferred fuel source? 

Eating in a way that causes a calorie surplus will encourage the body to store those extra calories as fat, no matter what macro-nutrients you're consuming.  But (gram for gram) carbohydrates encourage your body to store fat more than any other macro-nutrient because of the way it spikes your insulin, and because of it's poor ability to keep you feeling full.  In essence, a person can consume a lot of carbohydrates, and then proceed to do the same in a relatively short time.

There are numerous ratio's describing the supposedly correct amount between protein intake and bodyweight, and calorie intake to bodyweight - however, I recommend eating until you're full, and learn to trust your stomach and mind.  Sorry if that sounds obtuse or vague... but seriously, I find that eating until you're full is this the best approach when striving for a holistic state of health.  Part of the Caveman Power Diet is learning how to get in touch with your true hunger and satiation feelings.

By the way, Phanatic touched on a good point - it's never a bad idea to get a check up with a registered doctor, I know that some of them are merely drug dealers etc etc, but they can at least tell you if you have any previous conditions that may need special attention whilst doing the diet. 
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »
By the way, Phanatic touched on a good point - it's never a bad idea to get a check up with a registered doctor, I know that some of them are merely drug dealers etc etc, but they can at least tell you if you have any previous conditions that may need special attention whilst doing the diet. 

I second that. There are a lot of rubbish doctors around, especially in Australia these days it seems. But I highly recommend finding a good one and forming a good relationship with them. My current doctor has been my doctor since my early teens. He has been spending more then the last 10 years learning and developing holistic, Chinese and natural healing knowledge and certifications to go alongside his western medical training. A truly outstanding doctor who actively encourages natural solutions and bed rest instead of drugs except in the most extreme cases where they are basically the only choice. He actively discourages modern medicines for the most part and has even imported natural products that the TGA has not approved for patients. Needless to say, I'll be holding onto him for as long as he continues to practice.