Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Any Tips for Development of Pecs?  (Read 15656 times)

Offline GaryR55

• Cub
    • View Profile
Any Tips for Development of Pecs?
« on: March 15, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
As I near the completion of the weight loss phase of my paleo diet, it's become naggingly apparent to me that my pectoral muscles are underdeveloped - something I've always been self-conscious about, since I was a skinny kid. When I wasn't so skinny, the covering fat sort of mad eup for it, but now that's gone and what's really there (or not there) is obvious.

So, that said, does anyone have some exercise tips for pec development? My workouts are done on a Total Gym, which helps, somewhat, but I find it difficult to isolate my pectorals and give them a really good workout that will promote growth. I've seen the Perfect Pushup gizmo on TV and I think I may give that a try, also, but I'd like to know of any other techniques, preferably those that don't require any investment in equipment. Yep, I know about pushups, of course, but even there, it's difficult to get the results I want. Maybe free-weight bench presses?

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: Any Tips for Development of Pecs?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
Gary, please, do not try to isolate your pectoral muscles, seriously... it's unhealthy and potentially dangerous.  I've seen more rotator cuff problems, shoulder impingement and bicep tendonitis cases than I care to imagine, thanks to to the stupidity of devices such as the pec-dec.  And of course, isolating pectoral muscles inevitability leads to man boobs if you happen stop working them out.

I do not support exercises that exist purely for growth - that is body building, which is something more suited to the beauty industry then than the health industry.

If you want advice on how to look good via body building, go to www.bodybuilding.com.

But if you want advice on how to be healthy, we're more than happy to help you out.

And now that i've got that out of the way... in regards to your question;  I would actually (I know you didn't want to hear it) recommend doing a kinetically functional exercise such as the push-up.

Try a combination of;
  • Renegades/Manmakers
  • Clap Pushups
  • Pushups with feet raised on a bench
  • Slow pushups

The aforementioned exercises will develop your pectoral muscles in a way that compliments your overall upper body symmetry, and it will make you strong, powerful and yes... beautiful  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:09:45 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline yak rider

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 05:46:01 AM »
i would totally agree with matt in regards to isolating the pecs.  i have been training high school and college kids for fifteen years and have seen many shoulder injuries by overdoing the bench press, which uses far more front delt than one imagines.  again the bench is not a very practical lift for everyday use.  how many times in your life have you had to press something off your chest?   
any type pushing motion activates the pecs to some degree or another.  (pushing a car?)  if after a time you feel regular pushups (even with the feet elevated, which can be quite challenging) becomes too easy, you can add a bit of weight.  dips if done at the correct angle can really activate the pecs but can also be potentially hazardous to the shoulder girdle.
just my two cents. 

Offline GaryR55

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
Gary, please, do not try to isolate your pectoral muscles, seriously... it's unhealthy and potentially dangerous.  I've seen more rotator cuff problems, shoulder impingement and bicep tendonitis cases than I care to imagine, thanks to to the stupidity of devices such as the pec-dec.  And of course, isolating pectoral muscles inevitability leads to man boobs if you happen stop working them out.

I do not support exercises that exist purely for growth - that is body building, which is something more suited to the beauty industry then than the health industry.

If you want advice on how to look good via body building, go to www.bodybuilding.com.

But if you want advice on how to be healthy, we're more than happy to help you out.

And now that i've got that out of the way... in regards to your question;  I would actually (I know you didn't want to hear it) recommend doing a kinetically functional exercise such as the push-up.

Try a combination of;
  • Renegades/Manmakers
  • Clap Pushups
  • Pushups with feet raised on a bench
  • Slow pushups

The aforementioned exercises will develop your pectoral muscles in a way that compliments your overall upper body symmetry, and it will make you strong, powerful and yes... beautiful  ;)

Thanks, Matt. I'm really more interested in being healthy than in looking like Schwarzenegger or having a chest that looks like a butt, like Fabio.  ;)

Good, then; I'll just do pushups. Thanks.  :D

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:40:35 AM »
That's great to hear Gary, good luck with it  :D
"Be true to your biology"

Offline annahenderson

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:59:56 AM »
Developing your upper chest. Do incline and flat bench press with dumbells, and contract your chest on the top of the movement, same for flies. Hit it with different angles every so often. Rep range should be about 8-12.

--------
Joey Atlas

Offline meaganjames

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 10:36:40 PM »
Developing your upper chest. Do incline and flat bench press with dumbells, and contract your chest on the top of the movement, same for flies. Hit it with different angles every so often. Rep range should be about 8-12.

------------------------------
http://www.reviewlization.com/truth-about-cellulite-review/

Offline saleenacarter

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:50:16 AM »
What regarding the ab lounger, chest exercises off the highest of my head would simply be lifting at a athletic facility, conjointly do cardio understanding tho'.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:11:49 AM by Lilnicki »

Offline najja2

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • http://www.s.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »
Eat a bit more of protein and try concentrating more with Bench presses with dumbbell flyes down to the floor.

Offline TheBlackBenjamin

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
If you look at the  tree-dwelling people in Indonesian New Guinea, who as far as I can tell had extremely limitted contact with people in the 'modern' world until recently and still live in Trees in a paleolithic manner, while very fit and with clearly defined and strong pecs don't have the Swarzenneger, (don't forget in his peak he was consuming about 6-8 thousand calories a day and spending 6 hours a day in the gym & juicing.

Spoiler alert theres kinda a penis in the picture.
http://www.georgesteinmetz.com/image_collections/tree-people/main/STNMTZ_19950601_18.jpg

If you need better pecs then that I agree its body building.