Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: nice article on strength training  (Read 7177 times)

Offline yak rider

• Cub
    • View Profile
nice article on strength training
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:41:06 AM »
i found this article a few years back and have used it on and off and i am pleased with it.  seems to be basic caveman stuff if one uses a gym. 

http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitness/0601/workout_exercises.html

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: nice article on strength training
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:42:35 AM »
Great article, I agree with a lot of his assertions.  And I whole heartedly agree with the spirit of his message.

From the article;
"Nature doesn't care if you have ripped abs or big ol' honkin' biceps. Muscles have jobs, real jobs: They're attached to your bones to make those bones move. Bones move so you can catch something to eat, or elude something that's trying to eat you.  The muscles you want to build are designed to help you run, jump, climb, throw, fight. And yet most of the exercises seen in a gym are designed to make your muscles look good flexing in a mirror"

Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing this.

"Be true to your biology"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:56 AM »
That is a great article!

There is a poster over the weight rack at the fight gym I train at:

"Pretty is for women! All that matters is how hard, how fast and how many times, you can bust the other guy in the face!"
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »
"Pretty is for women! All that matters is how hard, how fast and how many times, you can bust the other guy in the face!"

:D

"Visual Fitness" is what turned me away from box gyms, amongst many other things.  That's why I love crossfit and guerrilla/caveman training.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:16:31 AM »
"Bear in mind that a lot of these men set weightlifting records nearly a hundred years ago, which are unbeaten to this day, as well as being champion wrestlers, boxers and gymnasts. (This was in the days before protein shakes, supplements, steppers, gyms filled with machines, sweatbands and all the rest of the modern paraphernalia that we are all constantly told we “need”).

One of the best things I've ever read^
The article by the way, was "Kettlebells: An Antidote to the Hype"
http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_brennan_0103.htm

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
Wow, I have about a dozen ways in which I disagree with that article.

I myself am a HUGE fan of kettlebells. I have a range of them going from 15pnds all the way up to 100 pnds, and have had great results for both myself and those I train. I go EVERYWHERE with a 30 pounder and a weight vest in my truck.

Here's how I see it:

1. They support using proper form by being unforgiving in the event that you don't.

2. They provide an unbelievable advantage in the application of overall strength by training the GRIP that allows any lift. You can only do as many pull-ups or deadlift or carry as much as your grip allows.

3. Anything done with a barbell is better with a dumbbell because of the added bonuses to stability and overall fitness. Well, anything done with a dumbbell is better with a kettlebell because of the added benefits.

4. Kettlebells lend themselves VERY well to ballistic and plyometric training. They are one of the primary methods I use to teach people about the concept of "transporting power". Summon power from the legs and feet, thru the core, amplify with the torso and shoulders, and punch straight up will holding the kettlebell. Alot different from a normal shoulder press. And much more in touch with the Caveman philosophy too.

5. Kettlebells both require and support a proper attitude about training. They make you FEEL like you are accomplishing something instead of just getting prettier. And the most important part of a fitness lifestyle is your attitude and mental toughness.

In the spirit of my last comment, try one of my "God Doesn't Love Me" runs:

30min of intervals on the treadmill.

Wear a 25pnd weight vest and hold a 30lb kettlebell.

Keep the incline at the HIGHEST LEVEL!!! Usually about 15 degrees.

Warm up for 5min at a slow steady pace, then increase speed until at a good solid pace. Once there do do 3 stage intervals of hiking, hiking FAST and running. 1min each speed. DO NOT LOWER THE INCLINE.

You can hold the kettlebell anyway you like. 1hand, 2hands, over your head, on you shoulder, anyway at all. I mean, come on, it's only 30lbs, right?

This is a hell of a workout, but it's not as hard as it feels or looks, and it will increase your mental toughness and self-esteem on a truly primal level. You finish this without quitting, and the rest of the week you'll KNOW that nothing can stop you.

And the looks you'll get at 24hr Fitness from all the "normal" bodybuilders and soccer moms is worth it alone. ;D
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:10:23 PM »
One of the best things I've ever read^
The article by the way, was "Kettlebells: An Antidote to the Hype"
http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_brennan_0103.htm

Interesting... it's good to see some criticism, it challenges any 'confirmation bias' that I might be harbouring unconsciously.

Recently, my gym has consisted of nothing but Kettlebells and Olympic Rings.  I've been training a young guy to get into the navy using only these tools, with excellent results.  The functionality of kettlebells should transfer nicely to the requirements of his upcoming boot camp training - and to many other activities too.

A similar degree of positive transference could be said about dumbbells, but i've found that kettlebells provide better leverage when performing compound movements such as 'swings' and 'snatches'.

Summon power from the legs and feet, thru the core, amplify with the torso and shoulders, and punch straight up will holding the kettlebell.
As BK has pointed out; deriving power from the legs/hip flexors/torso is highly functional - an efficient way to lift a heavy load - similar to that of the Olympic weight lifters.

Using so many muscle groups in unison challenges your cardiovascular system massively - so you get both a strength and aerobic workout - it works the three major metabolic pathways harmoniously.

In summary; you could get a lot of the same benefits from dumbbells, but i've found that kettlebells are superior (for all the reasons BK has noted) and due to the fact that they are psychologically daunting  8)

try one of my "God Doesn't Love Me" runs:
Sounds great, I do something similar by holding a 25kg weight plate above my head.  Lately, we've been walking to our the local park for our workouts - that is, whilst carrying 48kg of kettlebells.  This warm-up 'farmer walk' is devastating, especially on the return trip home.

PS I have a 12kg kettlebell for newcomers, any heavier than that tends to stress their joints and lower back.  Ketllebells can be dangerous for beginners, unless you're very very careful.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
PS I have a 12kg kettlebell for newcomers, any heavier than that tends to stress their joints and lower back.  Ketllebells can be dangerous for beginners, unless you're very very careful.

That is a very valid point.

And that sounds like a brutal walk home.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
And that sounds like a brutal walk home.

We all dread it   :'(