Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: confused  (Read 12620 times)

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
confused
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »
I am impressed by this site, and I must say that the diet makes sense to me.  It appeals to me because I would like to be "free" of packing food for the day, and since I like to eat large portions, the idea of an evening feast is right up my alley!  However, I'm confused about how to eat for maximum health.  There is so much information out there about the importance of eating often to avoid the dreaded "starvation mode", and I must admit that when I read that stuff it makes sense to me, too. 

Is it really true that our three meals a day habits are socially constructed and not based on biology?  Is the struggle to go all day with minimal or no food just a result of conditioning?  I sometimes feel like I am quite addicted to food, and I'm mildly anxious about trying to go all day without eating.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: confused
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
Hey Ryan,
About the 3 meals a day construct, think about this - do you ever feel tired and sluggish after eating breakfast or lunch?

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
Have I ever felt tired or sluggish after breakfast or lunch?  I would have to say yes, definitely.  That certainly contributes to my curiosity about this diet and the similar Warrior Diet.  I've experimented with this way of eating and during the day when I was eating very little, I felt...well....weird.  I felt a little light headed and had some heartburn at times.  Is this typical while adjusting to the diet? 

I really feel excited by the ideas I'm reading about on this site, but I have struggled with weight most of my life.  There is so much contradictory information out there, it's hard to know the best thing to do to take care of my health.

I appreciate your response.  Thanks.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
Hi Ryan, thanks for dropping by  :)

There is indeed a lot of confusion in modern society about what constitutes a healthy diet.  And that's why I think it's important to take an Anthropological view of the topic.

We know that humans have survived for 100,000's of years by eating off the land.  And we know that they were healthy (taking into consideration that modern medicine didn't exist).  Humans survived through catastrophic environmental changes, food scarcities, diseases, and other life threatening circumstances - and not only did they survive, they thrived.  If you take a look at primal tribes that still live in the Papua New Guinea high lands, and African tribes that still live off the land, you will see that they are amazingly fit and healthy.

Diets could be broken down into four main categories;

• Weight Loss
  • Sports/Athletics/Body Building
  • Nutrition
  • Medical

Most information on diets these days is aimed at the first two groups.  Which is why we have a flood of information that is hard to decipher.  Most diets sacrifice health in order to achieve an objective such as weight loss, muscle gain, specificity in a particular sport, or detox for a particular organ (the liver diet) etc etc.  So, I understand the bewilderment that people feel when they simply want a diet that's based on maximum health.

Sadly, if you want to eat a diet for maximum health, you need to become a home-scientist.  There is no absolute healthiest way to eat, and we know this because scientists are finding contradictions in diet theories all the time.  However, we have the privilege of being able to look back over time and see what particular diets have worked the best.  For example, we know now that high sugar diets contribute to diabetes, and diets high in saturated fats contribute to heart disease.

Scientists have predominantly taken a a biological approach to diet formation, but these days we're seeing more scientists taking an Anthropological view.  And as a result we are learning things such as the health benefits of intermittent fasting, which was observed by taking an Anthropological view, and then a biological analysis.

Anthropology works hand in hand with biology to produce excellent results, and often it produces some blatantly obvious answers.  For example; Anthropology tells us that primal man did not eat much sugar, and biology tell us that the human body is unable to cope with too much sugar.  Anthropology tells us that primal man was nearly always physically active, and biology tells us that we need to be active in order to stay fit.

Now finally, onto your question... three meals a day is a social construct, designed to be an efficient way of grazing whilst minimising interruptions to other activities.  But, in Palaeolithic times, grazing or binge eating was largely dictated by the environment, and biology can prove this.  We have evolved into an organism that stores fat... which is a characteristic that natural selection favoured due to the sporadic availability of food sources.  This assertion supports the theory that the human body is designed for intermittent eating.

At the end of the day, if you want to eat for maximum health, you need to be true to your biology.  In other words, feed the body exactly what it's designed to be fed.  Finding out the components of such as diet is a combination of Anthropology and Biology, which is why I support the Caveman Diet and some other Palaeolithic style diets.

Check out the file i've attached below.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline ryan1972

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:15:15 AM »
Thanks for all the great information, Matt.  I am struck by the implications of this way of eating.  We really have been the unwitting victims of the cereal companies and the meat and dairy industries who have been telling us how to feed ourselves and our children for years!  Our population returning to this way of life would be the end of a huge segment of corporate America.  I don't want to go all "conspiracy theory" but it is further proof that money and convenience is the driving force in our culture. 

That being said, I must admit that I have embraced it for a long time and the thought of radically changing the way I eat and live is extremely exciting AND a little daunting.  I have a good feeling about this site though.  I think I have pretty good instincts for recognizing intelligence and this site is clearly well researched.

Thanks again, Matt. 

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
Thanks for your comments Ryan.

I would love to hear how you progress.  I'm sure that you could bring some interesting observations to the table  ;)

BTW Cereal companies are companies.  And companies exist to make money, end of story.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »
Kinda like the pharmaceutical industry....at the end of the day, it's still just an industry.  More medicine, supplements, nutritionists and diets than there have ever been before, yet people are more obese and unealthy than ever. But I hear they're working on a pill for that.

Offline Dan

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
Hi All,

I've been on this diet for about a week, so far I love it. One thing I noticed as I did my food shopping for the week is eating this way is alot cheaper (20-30%) than the typical american diet, which is odd, as growing vegetables (carrots in my case) is less efficient than growing grains. It occured to me that if everyone in the world went on the caveman diet we would probably have mass starvation (the calories per arable acre thing Matt mentioned). So please don't bash the food companies too much. On a company by company scale they exist only to make money, but the Food Industry as a whole exists to maximize calories (which is why many Govts. make grain farming much more profitable through subsidies and such).

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
I've been on this diet for about a week, so far I love it.

Good to hear Dan, thanks for letting us know how you're going with it.  Please keep us updated  ;)

It occured to me that if everyone in the world went on the caveman diet we would probably have mass starvation

I think that there is ample room in our biosphere for a sustainable food industry that provides Paelo (healthy) style foods.  It's simply not a priority though, because it's more expensive to produce, and suburbs/cities would have to spread out over large geographical areas.  So I can understand why the governments subsidise agriculture, but that is a choice, and not a necessity.

People wouldn't starve, but they'd have to go without a few Ipods and gas guzzling hummers  :P

the Food Industry as a whole exists to maximize calories (which is why many Govts. make grain farming much more profitable through subsidies and such).

Numerous food companies are marketing unhealthy products to children (and adults) under the guise that such products are essential for a healthy diet.  This is a blatant lie, and it is killing people... I do have a problem with food companies, and I will bash them constantly and relentlessly until they start to show some respect for their fellow human beings.

In the 1950's, doctors were recommending cigarettes... sometimes it takes a while for civilisations to learn the truth.

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 05:47:27 AM »
Amen Matt. Amen.

Offline jcm512

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »

I think that there is ample room in our biosphere for a sustainable food industry that provides Paelo (healthy) style foods.  It's simply not a priority though, because it's more expensive to produce, and suburbs/cities would have to spread out over large geographical areas.  So I can understand why the governments subsidise agriculture, but that is a choice, and not a necessity.

People wouldn't starve, but they'd have to go without a few Ipods and gas guzzling hummers  :P

...or the Internet...   ;)~

Numerous food companies are marketing unhealthy products to children (and adults) under the guise that such products are essential for a healthy diet.  This is a blatant lie, and it is killing people... I do have a problem with food companies, and I will bash them constantly and relentlessly until they start to show some respect for their fellow human beings.

Yeah, get Caveman on 'em!

Offline TrailGrrl

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »
Ryan,

I thought there was no way in hell I was going to be able to go paleo.  Women are typically on the receiving end of heavy marketing about whole grains and calcium through dairy.

One thing I noticed even before I started to really give paleo a go was that on weekends I didn't get into the "3 meal" thing... I would eat first at lunchtime.  Your body tends to adjust itself when you are away from your habitual stress zone (the work week).  This happens on vacation as well.  Your tendency is to eat when you are hungry, rather than by the clock.

The first day I tried paleo and not eating right away, I got bit of a headache in the late morning.  Eating some sunflower seeds seemed to help.  After about a week you don't even notice.  I went an entire Friday without eating until dinner at about 8:30pm.  You actually feel pretty energetic and attentive and focused.  Like buzzed almost.  I don't know if that is your body detoxing or what.  I told myself not to worry about exercise as much until I got the diet more or less hooked up, and I think that this bit of psychology helped, as it allowed me to work on one thing at a time.  But I've been trail running and doing bodyweight and other strength training with no problems.

So now I don't worry about packing a bunch of food.  I just make sure that I have nuts or sunflower seeds at my desk, and that I've made something like a steak stir fried with carrots or other vegetables to bring for lunch.  Sometimes lunch is my bigger meal, sometimes it's dinner.  I can tell a big difference now when I eat too many carbs at once.  I regret it within about 5 minutes, and try get a big protein and/or fat fix as soon as I can to start to bring myself back to a balance.

My palate has also undergone a big change.  Processed food tastes absolutely aweful (with the exception of chocolate, and now even Hershey bars don't taste like all that, but I do like the bittersweet dark chocolate).  Sweet and salty are way overboard on most foods now.  Eating enough fat is key.  I particularly like avocados.

It's actually more liberating than it is confining.  You are free to eat any food as long as it is a real food item such as chicken, fish, meat, veggies, nuts and seeds, or fruit.  One thing that happened right away is that my complexion cleared up.  Not sure if it's the detoxing from sugar, grains, and dairy or the fats that are making my skin look good.   Also a lot of bloating has gone away.  My stomach feels flat when I get up.  If I eat poorly, I start to feel the bloating again and I know that those foods really made me feel like crap and therefore aren't worth it.

I still do pizza or garlic bread and beer and tortilla chips.  But it's not an everyday thing. 

Trailgrrl

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 04:47:09 AM »

...or the Internet...   ;)~

My intent was to point out extraneous luxury items  ;)