Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: GMO's: Your Take  (Read 4762 times)

Offline timnickels

• Cub
    • View Profile
GMO's: Your Take
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:54:58 PM »
GMO = Genetically Modified Organism

Scientists are for it for health and plant preservation purposes and people are against it because they aren't informed on the changes and are for the most part unaware of some changes that can be hazardous to their health( i.e. allergens)  Personally, I am for them because I don't have any allergies that I know of.. and they also keep many plants thriving in nature.   

There is also that argument that we can't/shouldn't play God, but the way I see this is.. if plants are dying out be insect or disease, how else does someone want to protect it?  What better way is there than to add an enzyme to it's gene that protects it from its attacker?  I see this as a way to prolong life for plants as well as humans.

I am curious to see what others believe on this issue though.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: GMO's: Your Take
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:28:41 AM »
I think it's in our human nature to explore GMOs, just as it's human nature to explore uncharted geographical locations.  In other words; right or wrong, it is something that will not be stopped unless it negates the self interest of enough people.

Governments may impose legislation to stop research due to conservative (or other) ideologies, but eventually a country will develop it.  And as a result, every country who is capable of developing GMOs will be competing against each other to develop GMOs first, due to the potential for economic gain.  Pharmaceutical companies are experts at this, and I think the GMO industry will be just as shrewd.

I believe that the viability of GMOs (in terms of wealth and/or power) will be the deciding factor.  Wealth and power usually trump altruistic, religious or constitutional tenets... the Iraq war comes to mind.

From a biological (and perhaps philosophical) point of view, I think humans have been intervening in the evolutionary Natural Selection process for quite some time, take for example domestic animals such as cows.  And whilst this type of intervention with mother nature is quite palatable to people in general, the thought of something as blatant as messing with the gene pool causes a philosophical outcry.  I would argue that animal and agricultural domestication is the same thing in principle as genetic modification, except it is executed at a much slower pace.

For example; if I suddenly turned a an ancient bovine into a modern domesticated cow, people would think i'm the devil - but this is exactly what has happened over a period of thousands of years.

I think, that intervening with mother nature will ultimately reach it's logical conclusion, and if human history has taught us anything, it's taught us that we generally stuff things up before we get it right.

As for my personal opinion; I say do it.... what is seen cannot be unseen.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:44:51 PM »
GM Scientists think they contain the plants they make. But think about it - what if one pollen escapes and fertilises other compatible plants? I've heard of this happening. A non-GM farmer was found to have a couple of GM plants, with a gene copyrighted by Monsanto (something that coded for pesticide resistance to a monsanto chemical from memory) - he claims he didn't plant any monsanto seeds (you have to pay Monsanto once a year for the plants or something), that they must have come over from a neighbouring farm that did in fact use the seeds. Unfortunately the dude was found guilty.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »
I think that the race for GMO's will be very similar to the race for nuclear weapons.  Therefore, I don't think it can be stopped.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »
I'm for GMO's. Everything in nature tries to adapt the universe around itself to some degree, humans are just more successful. Birds build nests, ants build colonies, meerkats dig tunnels, some dinosaurs are believed to have used rocks to crack open hardened eggs, and we try to unlock/control the secrets of the universe. It's our way, hardwired into our biology.

But on an actually rational point, GMO's could have profound benefits. Rice with beta-carotene and other vitamines was developed to be part of the food aid sent to third world countries to battle malnutrition. Rice/grains that produce the same proteins found in human breast milk can not only provide much needed proteins, but cure diarrhea, the leading killer of small children in the third world. Imagine what else can be found and/or created in the next decades.

Right now the US provides 59% of all international food aid, (and we are only 4.6% of the world population). The 5,500,000 mmt of food that we send as aid could easily double and still be able to produce enough bio-diesel & 85% ethanol fuel to solve the so-called "energy crisis" we are having, within 5 yrs, because of these GMO's.

Thats a good enough reason for me.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 04:49:32 AM »
I agree with BigKhanz.... GMO's don't kill people, people kill people.

In other words, GMO's are a tool; neutral by definition.