Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Food Challenge #1: the African Maasai  (Read 14238 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Food Challenge #1: the African Maasai
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »
I plan to live on animal blood and milk for 3 days (72 hours), just like an African Maasai might do.  They mix blood and milk to make a nutritious paste.  However, I will drink the blood and the milk separately if the "paste" become too nauseating.  And if it gets too hard, i'll just live off the milk.

I plan to to do some bush walks and climbing during this period, so I can get more of a natural feel for living in a primal way.

Does anyone have any thoughts?  Would anyone like to join me?

NOTE: if you do this... it's at your own risk.  See a doctor if you're unsure, or better still, don't do it at all.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Challenge #1: the African Maasai
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »
Hey Matt,

Just curious as to how you're planning on preparing the animal blood.  Are you taking any precautions regarding viral, bacterial, fungal, or even chemical contamination?  I imagine that the animal blood consumed by the Maasai is completely organic, and that the flora in their guts have developed in a way that allows the components in the animal blood to be properly digested.

Are you going to consume it raw, or are you going to cook it, or otherwise apply heat to it, to kill any potentially harmful microorganisms it may harbor?

Yeah, I'm the guy who always scrapes the fried blood out of the pan after cooking up some meat... it makes a delicious condiment... but I've never tried it raw.  I think I'll wait for your report!  Good luck with the experiment!
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
Hey Matt,

Just curious as to how you're planning on preparing the animal blood.  Are you taking any precautions regarding viral, bacterial, fungal, or even chemical contamination?  I imagine that the animal blood consumed by the Maasai is completely organic, and that the flora in their guts have developed in a way that allows the components in the animal blood to be properly digested.

Are you going to consume it raw, or are you going to cook it, or otherwise apply heat to it, to kill any potentially harmful microorganisms it may harbor?

Yeah, I'm the guy who always scrapes the fried blood out of the pan after cooking up some meat... it makes a delicious condiment... but I've never tried it raw.  I think I'll wait for your report!  Good luck with the experiment!

I plan to drink it raw.  I'm going to speak with some butchers and get their opinion.  I will try a cup or two, and if it makes me sick i'll just have milk.  I agree that the Maasai people would have developed a stomach for this stuff, and that it would be very organic too.  I won't get very close to the purity that they enjoy, but I hope to get some sort of 'primal' feeling by doing it... even though I won't be hunting lions :)

Oh, and I don't mind a bit of fried blood myself, particularly that of my vanquished enemies...  :P  Just kidding.  I like blood pudding, it's incredibly nutritious.

Anyway, thanks for your encouragement Tony, I look forward to updating you with my progress.

Offline Jen

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • DoingTheCaveman
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
Good luck, although I been considering a juice fast, I'll give this a miss. Watch out you may get a thirst taste for it:)   

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Good luck, although I been considering a juice fast, I'll give this a miss. Watch out you may get a thirst taste for it:)   

Wow, not a single vampire joke yet... although you cam close to it Jen  ;)

Anyway, a juice fast sounds interesting.  I'm not a fan of those personally... they're too high in sugar for my liking.

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:58 PM »
I'd definitely take juice over blood. I can't even stomach the idea of doing this one Matt. Religious issues also make this a no-no. I really can't condone it, not that you asked for my opinion. Just something for you to think about.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
I'd definitely take juice over blood. I can't even stomach the idea of doing this one Matt. Religious issues also make this a no-no. I really can't condone it, not that you asked for my opinion. Just something for you to think about.

That's okay, I totally understand.  It's good to get people's thoughts on the matter  :)

The next Food Challenge might emulate the Papua New Guinea High Landers or Australian Aboriginals, and may consist of something a little less radical than blood.

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »
Now those are a few food challenges I would definitely be interested in seeing how they pan out for you. I used to watch Bush Tucker Man all the time when it was on ABC and it has interested me to no end the many ways he was shown by local Aboriginals how to survive off the land and find the seemingly invisible bush tucker.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:34:48 AM »
Now those are a few food challenges I would definitely be interested in seeing how they pan out for you. I used to watch Bush Tucker Man all the time when it was on ABC and it has interested me to no end the many ways he was shown by local Aboriginals how to survive off the land and find the seemingly invisible bush tucker.

I found a few episodes of Bush Tucker Man on P2P recently  ;)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Update:
I'm having a tough time acquiring some blood.  I've tried several butchers, delicatessens, and health food stores.  My next source is an abbattoire.

However, I can get unpasteurised goat's milk, so i'm halfway there.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
How did this one go for you?
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »
How did this one go for you?

It's on the shelf until we can get some blood.  Interestingly, I have to drive 2 hours to get some from an abattoir... which makes me think; we really live in a surreal society.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
do you have access to a VERY fresh butcher?

A few cuts of meat and a Juicer... :P
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »
do you have access to a VERY fresh butcher?

A few cuts of meat and a Juicer... :P

I've spoken to a few butchers, but I never though about the juicer idea.  Sounds cool (in a Fight Club way)  ;)

I'm also suspect on the quality of meat from local butchers.  I have some relatives that live on a farm in the Australian desert, I might go up there and a kill a kangaroo (they're a pest in those areas).

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
In line with the Juicer idea, calf liver juiced and then brought to a slow boil. Should be some of the healthiest blood you're likely to find, and the (very slow) boiling will ensure no bacteria or parasites.

I might go up there and a kill a kangaroo (they're a pest in those areas

that was just added to things I must do before I die!!!! ;D

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
Sounds bloody good!

I'm off to collect some oysters right now, I get them from a local estuary.  To get there I have to go through some harsh scrub and a few snake infested areas (seriously), but it's worth it if you like oysters.  I'll see about taking some photos.

Also, i'll get some photos of the farm I was talking about, the sunsets and red desert is amazing.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »
Snake infested? Better be some DAMN good oysters!

Y'all have a whole different thing when it comes to snakes down there. We only have FOUR species of poisonous snakes in the entire country, and non of them are likely to kill someone my size with less then a couple of strikes...

Offline wheeler

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 04:19:07 AM »
When I was a little girl, living in Europe,  my father was a butcher and we lived in a small town. November/December was the month for slaughter,  and I must say it was not very pleasant but that's how people lived and survived.   I remember that when an animal was killed every single little bit of it was used,  nothing was discarded,  which brings me to the blood.  Although we have never had it raw but it was always used up in things like black pudding and such. Even the hair was collected and used for brushes .   On Sundays  mum or gran would get up early and kill a chicken for the sunday roast,  now the blood and the brains would be  fried up with eggs,  capsicum and onions (I think) for breakfast and that was yummm.   If I ever tried to serve this up to my kids they would be chucking,  they look at me as if I am from another planet when I cook liver
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:25:29 AM by wheeler »

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 04:14:15 AM »
These days, offal and various organs go into pet food... perhaps pets are eating healthier than humans. :)

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
perhaps pets are eating healthier than humans

Well, the meat thats goes into "Alpo" is USDA grade A, and the food that goes into most fast food is Grade F, the lowest grade of meat allowable for human consumption...

Offline Darkfire

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »
I can get beef blood and pork here. But this is not something I would do. To mix blood with anything makes me feel strange....but the point is this. Can you find a Latin or Asian market near you....I can buy it by the gallon if I choose to....at a Latin/Asian Market by my house.