Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Australia says Sorry to the Aboriginal Stolen Generation  (Read 7300 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Australia says Sorry to the Aboriginal Stolen Generation
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:26:51 AM »
On February 13, 2008, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised for the hurt caused by decades of state-sponsored treatment of indigenous Australians.  The words "we say sorry" were uttered three times by Mr Rudd during the motion, which lasted only a few minutes.

The Aboriginal way of life has existed for thousands of years, yet from the Neolithic revolution to the Industrial revolution we have seen European society change it's ways ad-nauseum.  What is accepted culture now was ludicrous to us (European descendants) only 50 years ago.  It's no wonder the Aboriginals generally have a hassle fitting into our society, as it's constantly changing.

I personally believe that saying sorry was the honest thing to do.  You can't fix a problem unless you acknowledge it first right?  I imagine there will be a flood of compensation claims as a result of the apology, and if so I reckon we should pay in full.  After all, we became rich by using their land, so why not give them a cut of the bounty.

I respect Aboriginals because they are skilled at bush-craft and they are incredibly tough bastards... I for one could not live in the desert for much longer than a few days without the type of skill and toughness that they possess.

Hear the speech here; http://www.smh.com.au/multimedia/2008/national/australia-says-sorry/main.html
Download a PDF file of the entire speech here; http://www.cavemanpower.com/images-uploads/kevin-rudd-sorry-to-aboriginals-speech.pdf

Reaction to the Prime Minister's apology in Canberra and Sydney.
Photos: Peter Rae, Jon Reid and Mark Graham.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:43:27 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Australia says Sorry to the Aboriginal Stolen Generation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:36:32 AM »
Yeah, you have to respect a culture that survived, THRIVED even physically in the outback and knew the land very well.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »
Our government over here was at least as bad with its treatment of the Native Americans

There were 20 Medals of Honor awarded at the Battle(Massacre) at Wounded Knee. 300 Lakota men, women, and children were killed.

It's funny how 20 out 500 soilders were awarded it there, but through out the entirety of WW2 only 3 out of the 64,00 Lakota Indians that served were awarded the same honor.

Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:18:09 AM »
I think this sums it up...

"Be true to your biology"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »
Thats a funny one...

I've even met a few like that.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...