Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Our "lost in the bush" adventure hits the front page of the local newspaper.  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
I read the story the other day when you first posted it and I am very glad that the local paper printed it. It's actually quite incompetent that tracks would be listed on public brochures when they are not serviced any more. In fact, in today's litigious society they are total fools for doing so, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Let's hope something gets done about this now that it has been made public through the newspaper.

Glad you got out ok Matt and it goes to show that preparation before hand can be all the difference. I hate to think what trouble inexperienced, ill-equipped, un-researched bushwalkers would have gotten into in that same situation.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Thanks Seeker ;)

This adventure taught me a few things;
  • Ring the NPWS before taking on an unknown track
  • Never take a new guy on a track that I have not personally walked
  • Bring more thermo-blankets!

I was quite surprised that that the track had been overgrown, and as a result i've learnt not to trust bush-tracks on maps as gospel.

The bush was so thick that visibility (even in daylight) was down to a few metres, which made the compasses our lifeline.  It's hard to describe how dense it is, perhaps the pic below will illustrate.

Offline NiemandWeiss

• Cub
    • View Profile
Isn't it odd how he mentions me coming close to collapse in the beginning but doesn't mention it later? Also he pretty much copy and pasted your write up. Haha.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Isn't it odd how he mentions me coming close to collapse in the beginning but doesn't mention it later? Also he pretty much copy and pasted your write up. Haha.

Yeah, it would have been a more interesting article if the drama had been detailed a little more.  I too noticed that he copied a lot of my article verbatim, which was quite flattering.  He did however, correct my grammar in numerous places  :-[

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
Also he pretty much copy and pasted your write up. Haha.

I think you have the wrong idea here. Since most of the article is directly quoted it is a good thing it's basically word for word the same. I would be far less impressed if the quotes weren't word for word accurate from Matt's statements. I've seen articles from friends on rare occasion in the newspaper and they were totally butchered by "creative license" with the journalist writing only a few choice pieces and saying what they felt was better for the most part, believe me that is far less appealing then being quoted in full and correctly.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
I've seen articles from friends on rare occasion in the newspaper and they were totally butchered by "creative license"

Yes, i'm grateful that he refrained from taking an editorial stance... I was concerned that he was going to portray us as inept.  Instead, it came off sounding quite neutral, which i'm pleased about.