Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: "Into the Wild" - a movie by Sean Penn.  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
"Into the Wild" - a movie by Sean Penn.
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:28:07 AM »
Plot Summary:
Based on a true story. After graduating from Emory University in 1992, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandoned his possessions, gave his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhiked to Alaska to live in the wilderness.

I just watched this movie last night... wow!  It was timely for me to watch it because I had recently been lost in the bush in a near survival situation.  I'd recommend this movie to others on this board, because it illustrates a man as he abandons society, and follows his heart and his ideals.

Here's a link to the IMDB review; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: "Into the Wild" - a movie by Sean Penn.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
Will have to see this. Cheers for the recommendation.

Offline timnickels

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:04:43 PM »
it's really a great movie, the magic bus.  That would be a great experience, minus that one part at the end..

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:21:08 AM »
I agree... an excellent book and movie.  I first learned about it when my wife and I were listening to one of Eddie Vedder's songs from the soundtrack on XM Radio.  We loved the music and decided to learn more about the story behind it.  And what a story!  Tragic but inspiring.  I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject of modern society's loss of humanity.

Coincidentally, the star of this film, Emile Hirsch, actually starred in a film written and directed by my cousin Mike Burke a few years ago, called "The Mudge Boy."  He's a very talented young actor.  If you like his work, you might also want to see the movie "Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys." 
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:51:37 AM »
Your cousin is a writer/director?  Awesome!

I too, love the soundtrack.  Especially the song "society".
"Be true to your biology"