Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: New Age religious beliefs focus too much on self  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
New Age religious beliefs focus too much on self
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »
From the article:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving away from traditional religious beliefs to trendy, self-focused religions and spirituality is not making young adults happier, according to new research.  Young men and women who held non-traditional beliefs were up to twice as likely to feel anxious and depressed than those who rejected this belief.

“Their focus on self-fulfillment and self-improvement and the lack of emphasis on others' wellbeing appears to have the potential to undermine a person's mental health and social relationships,” Dr Aird said.  “The New Spirituality promotes the idea that self-transformation will lead to a positive and constructive change in self and society. "

The study was based on surveys of 3705 21-year-olds born in Brisbane from the Mater-University of Queensland Study of Pregnancy.  Read the full article here; http://www.uq.edu.au/news/index.html?article=13813

My opinion:
My higher power is mother nature, when i'm immersed in nature I feel complete.  I have no need or desire for anything else.  Mother nature has humbled me in so many ways, such as;

• looking into the eyes of an elephant
  • being carried by the ocean's waves whilst swimming
  • coming face to face with snakes, reptiles, wallabies, birds and other animals in the bush
  • watching the sun set over mysterious sandstone cliff faces
  • seeing a child marvel at starfish and crabs whilst playing amongst the ocean rocks

I am a genetic and biological expression of the power and mystery of mother nature, and by knowing that, I am at peace.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Seeker

• Scout
    • View Profile
Re: New Age religious beliefs focus too much on self
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:28:54 AM »
From the article:
Moving away from traditional religious beliefs to trendy, self-focused religions and spirituality is not making young adults happier, according to new research.  Young men and women who held non-traditional beliefs were up to twice as likely to feel anxious and depressed than those who rejected this belief.

“Their focus on self-fulfillment and self-improvement and the lack of emphasis on others' wellbeing appears to have the potential to undermine a person's mental health and social relationships,” Dr Aird said.  “The New Spirituality promotes the idea that self-transformation will lead to a positive and constructive change in self and society. "

The study was based on surveys of 3705 21-year-olds born in Brisbane from the Mater-University of Queensland Study of Pregnancy.  Read the full article here; http://www.uq.edu.au/news/index.html?article=13813

This comes as no surprise to me. These "new age" beliefs are mostly a mash-up of pieces taken from many different traditional religions then sprinkled with a nice coating of "warm and fuzzy". Any serious study into the major traditional religions see strong correlations between them with regard to basic laws and tenets and in my eyes that helps to support that their must be at least some truth in them. I myself am a devout Christian and their are actually parts of Christianity that I do not fully understand and a few parts I don't particularly like. But I do accept them as true and that's part and parcel of it all. People who pick and choose religious ideals as they please are kidding themselves into have no real faith or beliefs at all. Like all things in life you have to take the good with the bad and the nature of God is not known by mankind so who am I to say "I don't understand this so I don't want to listen any more".

Matt - I too love nature. I see God at his best when I head away from the world we built and into the world He built. There is a sense, a feeling I can't describe, that never occurs in man-made surroundings.

Incidently, I see in that article that Dr Aird is agnostic. I find agnosticism to be the weakest spiritual position possible and find it akin to fence sitting. I have more respect for any view point that is at least taking a stand one way or the other, even atheists.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:00:55 PM by Seeker »

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Re: New Age religious beliefs focus too much on self
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
Matt - I too love nature. I see God at his best when I head away from the world we built and into the world He built. There is a sense, a feeling I can't describe, that never occurs in man-made surroundings.

I just watched the movie "Into the Wild".  I reckon you might like it  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:16:16 AM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"