Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - Foxy

Pages: [1]
Fitness & Exercise / The 5 breath rule
« on: August 11, 2007, 03:54:32 AM »
I stumbled across this technique a few months ago.
Basically when you have been doing high intensity exercises, such as the ones found on here, you can reach a point when you can't go on anymore. Sometimes this is a lack of oxygen in your muscles. it is at this point that deep breathing can aid you to recover to go on for that much longer. It's a simple technique, next time you come to the end of a set in a superset (stringing the sets of excersises together with minimal rest) take the time to take 5 very deep breaths. The hyperventilation will replenish the oxygen supply in your muscles and allow you to carry on further. Take no more than 5 deep breaths though as excessive time spent resting can detract from the intensity of a workout; your heartrate plummets as fast as your morale meaning you wont be getting the full benefit of all that hard work you've just accomplished. So remember the five breath rule next time you're trying to recover and you just might be able to go for another round or three.

Cheers and train hard

P.S. for optimal amounts of oxygen try and inhale with your mouth and nose simultaneously, inhaling through your nose alone doesn't allow sufficient air to get into your lungs when practising this technique.

Fitness & Exercise / Farmer walk circuits
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:15:37 AM »
Matt, Luke and I had just finished a smashing workout last night.
The farmer walk circuit is one of the best ways to increase ones endurance and grip strength. What it involves is splitting your regular circuit workout exercises into two groups. You need some space for this workout, and the outdoor section of our gym works well. Space the two groups of exercises about 10-15 meters from each other. Obtain a heavy weight such as a couple of 35-40 Kg dumbbells and perform a farmer walk between each set of exercises after completing an exercise. I have drawn up a diagram at the bottom of the page to portray this better.

What is a farmer walk?
A farmer walk is an exercise designed to increase ones grip strength. You simply pick up your weight, an equal amount for each hand, and hang onto it while walking.

What are the advantages of this workout?
This workout is flat out intense. You can use any of the exercises outlined elsewhere on the site with this training method. It will increase your endurance and stamina and the improvement in grip strength has numerous benefits. From strengthening ones wrists to stabilising ones forearms for performing other arm exercises.
In sport a strong grip is vastly underrated, yet is an essential part of most sports, from fishing to golf, badminton and rugby, all rely on a firm grip. And because you have to remain steady as you are walking to maintain balance, you are really training the core muscle groups as well.

What are the limitations of this workout?
I’ll be honest with you, this workout is very demanding. Care must be taken to not select a weight that is too challenging or one may risk lower back injury when trying to lift it. Also a weight that is too heavy will drain too much energy from you between the exercises leaving you with poor form and further risking injury.

General Discussion / Girrakool to nowhere.
« on: July 10, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
 Some of you may have watched the video and seen the pics already. Matt (capt’n caveman to me hehe) Mike and I getting lost in the scrub. Well that was a true blooding for this young buck. The day turned out poles apart from what was anticipated. Below is a map showing our intended route in red and our actual route in blue. It’s an approximation of our position as there was NO WAY of telling just where we were.

The ride that was planned would have taken us from girrakool to wondabyne via a well used path. The ride that ensued took the three of us through some of the toughest terrain I’ve come across. The numbers on the map correspond to various waypoints on our journey. I’ll give you an explanation so you can appreciate how our day played out.

1: A Journeys start. (1:45 pm)
Woy Woy Rd boat ramp was our meeting point. With high spirits we checked our gear one last time. Gave the bikes a once over to see if the gremlins were playing nice loaded them into the back of Mikes station wagon and set off.
The car ride to Girrakool was filled with the expectation of what the day would bring. After all, this was my first time out (I had done a little trekking in Bali before, but nothing like this). Once we arrived at Girrakool the bikes were unloaded, checked once again (damn gremlins!) and then we began our ride. The first leg took us to a camping area via a sealed road. From here we found our bush track. There were a few anxious moments as I lost the other fellas. And I had more than my fair share of spills this early in the ride as I became reacquainted with both my bikes quirks and bare ground after I neglected bike riding for such a long time.

2. One wrong turn. (2:10)
After a rest up at a little cave (this is the first part of the vid), we came across a fork in the trail. One direction had ‘bad’ scrawled in the sand with an arrow pointed up the path. The other direction had very thick scrub and looked like it had been unused for a while. We decided to take the latter….

3. Scouting about.(2:20)
Initially the trail was rather heavily vegetated, it cleared up later on and was mostly uphill. After about 400-500 meters we came to a clearing. We arrived at a scout camp (this can be seen in the pics). We got our bearings, found what we thought to be the right track and rode on. Not long after we came up to a really interesting spot consisting of a little rocky area that had been saturated with creek water. The result of which is the cliff and waterfalls you can see in the pics. Matt did the capt’n caveman thing and climbed down a trail he found to get some pics while Mike and I stopped for a bight to eat. A few minutes later Matt returned from his little sortie and checked his GPS. Unfortunately the batteries were running low and with less than 3 hours of light left we had to get moving, problem was that we weren’t on the right path. Rather than going back to find a way around, decided to go through the bush to meet up with our lost track.

4. Are we there yet…?(2:45-4:15)
Yeah, going through the brush probably wasn’t the best idea hehe. This was definitely the most taxing part of the day. The environment was so diverse. At one point I was staring down a cliff with a narrow path between me and a whole lot of hurt, then we came up to a beautiful waterhole, the pictures don’t do it justcie, we trekked through riverbeds (the water was mighty chilly) and stopped for a rest whilst trying to read a dodgy little compass I bought along. The breaks were needed as the real test came next. With no further to go we had to climb up the side of a small ridge about 100ft high which was heavily laden with thick scrub. The only way to get through such growth was to throw ones bike at it in an attempt to create a path. After allot of caveman like grunting and moaning we arrived atop the ridge on a small clearing (well, Mike was up there first. That bloke is Superman). It was at this stage that the faint gunshots in the distance started to sound really distinct, as if they were being fired directly at us. We got the GPS working for a few seconds and saw that we were somewhat on the right track.

5. The finish line is near (4:15)
At this stage we had two choices, seek some higher ground, gain a vantage point and then make a decision on where to go, or we could use the clearing to gain some lost time heading toward the sound of the gunshots (something my father always advised against!!!). We were already pretty high up and the higher ground, in the form of an even nastier looking rock face than the one we just conquered, was just going to waste the precious little time we had. At this stage, the sun was going to set within the hour so we decided to ride through the clearing, following a ridge that was part of this area to make up some ground.

6. Saved by gunfire (5:10-5:20)
It was just as well we made that decision. After about half an hour of trekking we noticed a brightly coloured object on the ground. It was one of those rare occasions where a simple little item evoke conflicting feelings of relief and concern. Relief because it was the first sign of civilisation we came across in the last few hours, and concern because this little object was actually a skeet. Were we in the line of fire? What if we climb out of the brush and startle a gun toting firearms zealot, copping a face full of shot for our troubles? Why did they need such bloody loud guns if they were only shooting pottery? These were but a few of the questions that were filling my head as we walked, finding more skeet and the odd shell along the way. Not long after, the other two cavemen caught a glimpse of a familiar site. It was the corner of a shed atop a small ridge. We found the firing range and it was only a small climb away. Thankfully, all the trigger happy folk had gone home by that stage, leaving their entire firing range all to us. 

7. The long trip home (5:25)
We took the road from the firing range to Woy Woy road. I had an anxious moment there as I thought I lost Matt and Mike for a little while. Arriving at the main road, a choice had to be on where to go next. Either head back to Woy Woy and risk the night traffic, or pedal back to mikes car back at Girrakool along the highway. The latter appealed to us as it was safer.

8. Journeys end (6:15)
That ride back home was pretty hard going, it got cold and wet damn quickly and after the strain of the day the last thing I wanted was another round on the pushy.
Mike charged on ahead, Matt and I took it easy for the last half of this leg. We were both in deep though about what to eat when we got back home, then, in the distance, a familiar sight appeared. It was mikes car and the day was finally over.

Pages: [1]