Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Newbie Caveman From Essex!  (Read 54614 times)

Offline veriria

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Caveman From Essex!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »
Hi there :)  I'm new to this forum too.  I have yet to start the new way of eating....I have to get rid of a lot of products in my house and replace the food with the appropriate things, so I don't revert back to old eating habits, first and foremost. 

6f00t4

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
Glad to hear you are making a positive step towards this amazing way of life!

Ok, back to my kinda blog! I lost yet another two pounds last week! So just after one month of this diet, I've lost 13lbs! I'm really impressed and even more so with my own will power not to defect to the 'avoid food' list. Had a couple of moments, but being sensible and moderated, the cravings pass and I'm back on track. Yoga tonight and a good ride out on the bike tomorrow will kick me in touch for another week of light meals and good healthy fitness pursuits. So now only 6lbs to loose and then maintain my goal weight of 14st or about 200lbs.

6f00t4

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »
Another epic mountain bike ride tonight! Dark, cold and wet in the UK, so you can imagine what it's like. Seem to be running out of puff though, not having much in the way of carbs. I cheated today by having a Spaghetti Bolognese bowl to ready myself for some quad burning, but I still ran out of juice six miles in!! Tonight was meat loaf and salad, so ready to chill out now.

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
  • Relearning how to live wild
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »
Hi
Great going! It might not be lack of carbs that is making you run out of steam during exercising, but just the fact that you are eating little and forcing your body to adapt to burning its fat instead of readily available carbs. Perhaps once you are on stage 3 and eating small paleo meals during the day you will find your stamina increasing.
I just thought I'd point it out, because you still seem to be saying that only carbs can give you stamina during exercise. And that those carbs are from pasta!!
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

6f00t4

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »
Ahh yes, good point. I'll try not to compensate with non-paleo food such as pasta or rice and see what happens empty.

Thx.

6f00t4

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
I think I now know when my body is burning fat - when I get that bitter taste in my mouth when I first eat something. Did some chicken breast and salad tonight, but the first mouthful taste bitter. Also did a bit of training tonight, but not a lot, feel drained today. The stairs at work really kill my legs!! All good though!

Offline Sarah

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
Hello,

Sounds like your doing amazingly well, well done.

I keep getting that bitter taste, you are correct in what your saying it is to do with burning stored fat, i think my husband called it Keytones or something similar (i may have that completely wrong so don't quote me  :-X)

Sarah

Iain

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
I think it's called Katosis?? I doubt that is spet correct though  :-\

Along with Spelt!!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:11:13 AM by Iain »

6f00t4

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
This is worth reading folks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

6f00t4

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 04:37:14 AM »
Really wet and cold in Essex today, so what better thing to do is prepare a rabbit and veg stew for tonight in the slow cooker - yum!

6f00t4

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »
We went out for a really long walk around our town today, washed the car and tinkered in the shed, then had some chicken and veg. A perfect end to a grotty weekend.

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 02:11:06 AM »
Cool, I went for a big long walk over the fields yesterday afternoon. It felt so good to be out in the cold and the wind. Just unfortunate I then had to spend the next five hours writing up my Shakespeare assignment for University!
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

6f00t4

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
Lost another pound last week! I'm now 14st 5lbs or (201lbs). I seem to be levelling out a bit now, which is a good thing. My cadence out on the bike is getting better and I feel the power to weight ratio is making the hills easier! Got muddy and wet tonight, but worth it!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:00:40 AM by 6f00t4 »

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
Ah ha! You're getting there! Well done!  8)

6f00t4

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »
Gonna burn a few more calories tonight, drumming in the studio!

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
Thought I'd do a 6f00t4-style update!

I started this way of life on 3 December 2010, I did stage 1 for 3 weeks (including over Xmas) and then went straight to stage 3. I have currently lost 16lbs and dropped a dress size. I would ideally like to lose another 12-14lbs, and I can confirm I am still losing weight on stage 3, albeit more slowly slowly. This is probably because my portion sizes during the day are greater than on stage 1.

I guess stage 2 would offer me the greatest benefits, but I have to admit that I don't have the willpower to stick it out, so massive kudos to those that do. I'm going to up my exercise regime and I know I'll shift those last pounds.

And thanks to 6f00t4's tales of mud, rain and lashing branches in his face, I want a bike!!

Falcon

6f00t4

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
Ha ha! Cycling off-road really burns fat well! It's really high cardio and if you get into it, you really feel alive, plus being outdoors with nature, really brings out the caveman in me! This is no lie, but I saw: rabbits, a fox, magpies, squirrels, ducks, geese, goats, sheep, horses and cattle in one ride though our local country park!

I've lost a stone in five weeks, so really chuffed with that. The only thing I've had to sin on is a few extra carbs, to help my energy levels on my training days. I just run out of puff on the bike!!

6f00t4

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
One thing happened this week, I didn't go to the toilet for three days! Is this normal on high protein diets?

6f00t4

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
Ok, still loosing weight slowly now and have now shed 14lbs in six weeks. It's levelling off now and I'm feeling great. Still, I had a little blow out at the weekend, but nothing major! Time for Yoga tonight, cycling tomorrow and gym wed, thur and relax friday. Phew!

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 02:02:11 AM »
Hello
I've got a bit of a sluggish digestion at the moment as well - I'm trying to cut a little protein and replace it with some high fibre vegetables instead. I think I've been concentrating too much on getting enough fat for energy and have let my veg consumption slip a little.

Falcon

Iain

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 02:51:14 AM »
You could try adding flax seed to meals?

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:03 AM »
Hello
I've got a bit of a sluggish digestion at the moment as well - I'm trying to cut a little protein and replace it with some high fibre vegetables instead. I think I've been concentrating too much on getting enough fat for energy and have let my veg consumption slip a little.

Falcon

Through trial and error I've found I'm effected badly to anything with calcium carbonate in a bad way. And they love to use it in food and supplements, I guess it's a cheap way for them to say it's fortified with calcium. Calcium citrate seems to have no bad effect to me. You might check any supplements your taking or any processed food labels your still eating.

Some reading...
http://www.livestrong.com/article/186708-foods-containing-calcium-carbonate/
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/10/02/calcium-was-con/
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/calcium-carbonate-side-effects.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:32:28 AM by houmax »
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 06:29:19 AM »
If you're finding yourself a bit bunged up then increase your fruit and veg consumption, and also make sure your getting at least 2 litres fluids a day :)

Nicki

6f00t4

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
I'm now on more fruit but also virgin coconut oil. It's quite palatable, plus it's a good moisturiser.

6f00t4

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 06:50:16 AM »
Another update.... lost another pound, so now 14st 3lbs! Is there anything to help the skin on this kind of lifestyle diet? My face has got progressively redder and dry.

Thanks.