Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Newbie Caveman From Essex!  (Read 53676 times)

6f00t4

Newbie Caveman From Essex!
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:37:02 AM »
Hi All,

Well they say life begins at 40, so I thought I'd do something about my life and make it better. I'm going to give this new way of eating and exercise a proper go this year and see if I can improve my body, fitness and soul. I love the outdoors, walking and cycling, but want to couple these pursuits with a matching food pattern. I put on eight pounds over the holidays and really want to shift some excess weight to help my Yoga and other activities. At 6'4" and 215lbs, isn't too heavy, but I've steadily put on nearly four stone over the past ten years!!! It's time to get back to basics and cut the rubbish! So I'm not approaching this as a diet 'fad', but a new way of life.

I'll probably be picking your brains for advice in the coming months!!

So glad I found this forum and website.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Caveman From Essex!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
Welcome to the Tribe  8)
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

6f00t4

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
Thanks, I hope to keep you all updated on my progress.

Offline kenney

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
welcome!

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
welcome :)  and best of luck to you!
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

6f00t4

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Only on day four so far and really starting to find myself enjoying the empty raw feeling in my stomach and looking forward to preparing my evening meal, it's just so amazing!

6f00t4

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »
Ok, after week one I'm already feeling so detoxed inside and have so much more energy than before. I'm still eating a breakfast, but only snaking on walnuts, beef jerky and blueberries during the day (and I mean hardly anything). Evening meals are the highlight of the day, being a small protein rich bowl of lean meat, salad and a big mug of hot water. I've had two treats this weekend, with  my weeks quota of eggs in two days! Oops! But they were in a smoked salmon and mushroom omelette on saturday and today I eat two poached eggs on steamed haddock. Steak tonight and looking into my new fitness routine next week. I already do Yoga, but stepping up my mountain biking and gym work. I have an XLi slide multi-gym in the back yard, the same one Chuck Norris endorses, so it's all body weight on a sled type stuff. I've also got a chin up bar fixed to a pergola for extra chin ups!!

I'm only going to weigh myself once a month so I'll update you as and when.

Offline flemingstuart

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:36:31 AM »
Hello all..hope you all are fine..i am new to this forum..lets make this forums interesting by doing some good posts..

6f00t4

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:33:36 AM »
I've changed my mind about weighing myself monthly, because I'm going to plot my progress as a complete novice on a weekly basis.

So, last Monday around this time, I weighed in at 215lbs (97.73Kg). Today, just one week later, I'm 211lbs (95.91Kg) !!! Well chuffed with that good positive start. So now that I've done some more reading and found the right foods and places to buy my new diet, I'm just getting into the habit of being strict with what goes in my body and will start to develop my own training routine. I currently do yoga one night a week (class), but do another bit in the week. Once the weather turns, I'll be back out on the mountain bike.

Also, as I live near to a forest, I'm interested in actual foraging for food, especially mushrooms, berries and salads. I've also bought some fishing tackle for the summer Mackerel and Mullet in my local estuary.

Thanks for reading.

ps. Flemingstuart, welcome fellow newbie caveman!

6f00t4

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
Went out on my mountain bike this evening, in the cold dark forest near my house. Very tough going, considering I've hardly eaten anything today, so my muscles were really fatigued and my energy levels were low. So I cut it short and came home. My legs were really pumped after just five or so miles on and off road. Looking forward to a fish soup dish later on tonight.

6f00t4

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Ok, week two completed and just weighed in a 14st 10lbs, (209lbs or 94.8Kg). Total weight loss is 8lbs!

Really getting to grips with my diet now and already planning what to prepare and allow for, in the week to come. Also been planning what to grow in the garden this year and what to forage for locally. Very interesting what you can find in the hedge rows of southern England!! Mushrooms, berries, salads, plus hunting rabbit is common round here, but never tried it. Ordered some books on those subjects, along with a guide to sea fishing and fish preparation.

Not sure if this is part of the detoxing process, but I've had a really strong bitter taste in my mouth? Is that classed as a sugar craving?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:15:21 AM by 6f00t4 »

Offline rabbitty

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
I too have had the strong bitter taste in my mouth thing going on.  Must be a side effect from the diet.  I am in phase 2, day 2 so my theme song this week is "Hungry like the Wolf". (no joke- I can't get it out of my head, and my stomach growls along to the tune)  I am sure many phase 2-ing children of the eighties can relate!   Never thought I'd get so excited about getting to eat steamed broccoli and cauliflower at dinner time but after eating nothing all day, boy does it ever taste good.  Seeing the drop in weight makes it all worth it though.. Love SUCCESS!  :)

Offline neanderthalensis

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 02:00:54 AM »
I'm about midway through week 1 of stage 2, and sometimes get that bitter taste as well. I's not too strong, and I just have some gum to freshen it up a bit. I've lost 4kgs since starting the caveman way 3 weeks ago, which is remarkable. I have been pushing my body harder and harder during the fast, and only once needed some fruit to pick me up from the point of collapse during a session.

I havent seen this side of 100kgs for nearly a decade, so yipee!

6f00t4

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »
Good for you fella!

I went out on my second mountain bike ride tonight in the cold and dark streets and woodland. Very spooky, but gave my quads a good burn and a nice hour of cardio. So hungry now, just gotta collect my cavegirl from work, then it's feast time!!

6f00t4

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »
Ok, weighed in today and surprisingly, I've only lost two pounds over seven days. This must mean my body is getting to it's optimum weight. I still reckon I need to loose another eight pounds, before I start putting on muscle again. My goal weight is around 14 stone or 196lbs. Four pounds of extra muscle will take me a year of hard work, as I've never been able to bulk up fast. I only do yoga, mountain biking and a light bit of bodyweight exercise, but I always do a three to five mile walk at the weekends. I've started doing body weight training while my evening meal is cooking. Quite simple but effective, burning a few extra calories and toning up my upper body.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:10:03 PM by 6f00t4 »

6f00t4

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
This weeks report is only slightly improved from last, but still an improvement! Weighed in at 14st 8lbs today (207lbs). Just 7lbs to go before I'm at my target weight. I didn't need to loose loads, but the ultimate goal was to stick with this diet and way of life forever.

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
  • Relearning how to live wild
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »
Wow, really good news!  ;D

I didn't lose anything last week, but I confess chocolate was involved about 5 times.... What can I say? I had a bad week and my old habits resurfaced. Found myself reaching for the mental comfort of chocolate rather - wasn't even hungry but still ate it.  >:(

On the plus side, I've been practising a Caveman workout today at work - locking myself in a toilet cubicle and spending a minute trying to push the wall down, putting heart and soul into it. It really does use all your muscles.

I've realised I can do it 8 or 9 times a day. Of course, I need to remember to breathe when i'm doing that. Tends to help...  ::)
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

6f00t4

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
Sounds good fella, keep it up and no chocolate!

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
I didn't lose anything last week, but I confess chocolate was involved about 5 times.... What can I say? I had a bad week and my old habits resurfaced. Found myself reaching for the mental comfort of chocolate rather - wasn't even hungry but still ate it.  >:(

Don't be too rough on yourself. Just try to stick to Dark Chocolate in moderation. I have a little almost every day and can still drop as much weight as I want. Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate are for kids but there's some really good dark stuff out there. Buy the expensive stuff(you can't afford to go too crazy)  ;D and enjoy it. Dark Chocolate has health benefits and is good for our mood.

#1 on Mark's list of sensible vices...
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sensible-vices/

Mark's 5 favorites dark chocolates
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-5-best-dark-chocolate-bars-in-the-world/

Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

6f00t4

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »
I must admit, I didn't think of 70-80% chocolate! I've just got back from a two hour mountain bike ride and eating a slice of organic rye bread with unsweetened jam on. My legs are killing me!

Iain

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 12:45:26 PM »
Hello,

I'm also from Essex. I'm just starting my second week of stage one and it's going really well. I feel more energised and I'm not getting to hungry through out the day. Quite surprised I don't miss eating big lunches, whilst at work, a couple of packs of nut's and some fruit seems to be more than enough.

Three weeks ago I was up to 13.5 stone, that's the heaviest I've ever been, I'm 5'8, so easily a couple of stone over weight. This week, I'm already down to 12.11 stone and feeling the difference.

That's all for now, thanks for reading  ;D

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
  • Relearning how to live wild
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 02:56:29 AM »
Good going Iain. Sounds like a really positive start.
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Iain

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
Thanks Falcon,

I should really be more creative with my user name though!!!

6f00t4

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 07:45:26 AM »
Had a good weekend here and really found that I need the weekends to relax and rest. The week on hardly any carbs does make you tired quicker and my hands are cold! I had a moment of weakness today, in the form of two pancakes with lemon juice and two small scoops of ice cream! Oops! Needless to say, I'm warm now and sleepy! The other interesting thing was having a couple of glasses of wine Friday night. Got a really bad headache, so alcohol is so off my diet list for the time being.

Couple of arguments: Honey and rice. These are my only real vices and only when I really need some energy for Yoga and cycling. The weight training is slowly getting more and more intense. Just easing myself into it, protecting my problematic lower back.

Will weigh in tomorrow as usual, but not expecting much, as I'm levelling out now.

6f00t4

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
@Iain: Where abouts are you in Essex mate?