Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Starting Phase 1 tomorrow... anyone else?  (Read 76028 times)

ojsmoothy

Starting Phase 1 tomorrow... anyone else?
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »
 Hey everybody, I've been a member of the forum for a couple of months and decided that tomorrow is the day I will officially start Phase 1. I thought it would be cool to have a thread where other people on Phase 1 could chime in with their questions and observations while supporting each other.

Offline Digger

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Phase 1 tomorrow... anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
Hey there! 
I'm currently beginning my 3rd week of phase 1.   Although. I think I might be ready for phase 2.  There have been 1 or 2 times a week that I caught myself cheating, mostly during the weekend.  But I always think to myself, "It happens, just get back to it."  Which seems to work out pretty well for me.
Good luck!
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” - John Wayne

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
Lots of new people starting lately.  :D

My advice is when you introduce yourself state your goals with the diet.

Example: Hello, I'm 5'10 250 lbs and want to loose 60 lbs. I'm seeing a lot of people asking for diet advice and they don't even say if they're trying to gain, lose, or maintain weight  ;D

Besides, concrete numbers give you something real to go for.
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline cmateo

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:13 AM »
Hey people, I actually started the diet last week. So far, I'm having no problems adjusting to the diet. I find this diet to work well with my schedule, because being a 20 year old student working fulltime, attending college fulltime, and coaching little league football. I have no time to sit down and eat three meals a day. I'm already experiencing an increase on my energy level as well which is very beneficial to myself. I feel like it's gonna be an awesome and wonderful experience with good results being on the caveman diet.

Goodluck to everyone starting this wonderful diet and get ready for a new healthier life! ;D

Offline Digger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
That's a good idea Houmax.  Stating your goals, would very well help you achieve them.

I started 2 1/2 weeks ago at 5'3'' - 144 lbs.  I would like to get down to about 125 (+/-), lose the little love handles I have, and tone up mostly. 

I'm currently on my 2nd day of Stage 2, and I picked up my exercising a bit.  I work in an office during the week, and find it tempting to grab a handful of whatever is sitting around the office (Cheez-its, Popcorn, etc..).  But I took Houmax's advice about chewing on some sugar free gum, just to give my mouth something to do, and it does help.  I haven't caved in, and this morning I weighed in at 141 lbs.  So far, so good.
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” - John Wayne

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »
That's a good idea Houmax.  Stating your goals, would very well help you achieve them.

I started 2 1/2 weeks ago at 5'3'' - 144 lbs.  I would like to get down to about 125 (+/-), lose the little love handles I have, and tone up mostly.  

I'm currently on my 2nd day of Stage 2, and I picked up my exercising a bit.  I work in an office during the week, and find it tempting to grab a handful of whatever is sitting around the office (Cheez-its, Popcorn, etc..).  But I took Houmax's advice about chewing on some sugar free gum, just to give my mouth something to do, and it does help.  I haven't caved in, and this morning I weighed in at 141 lbs.  So far, so good.

There's always pigskins for those really tough days. No carbs and very filling. They're paleo but are kind of high in salt, but I have them sometimes.

If you can stick it out on stage 2 I bet you can drop 2 or 3 lbs a week. It's going to be a little slower for you since your just a little overweight. When I was 190lbs I could drop 4 lbs a weeks at first. Now at 153 I bet I could do stage 2 for a week and maybe drop a pound.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:23:12 PM by houmax »
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Digger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
If you can stick it out on stage 2 I bet you can drop 2 or 3 lbs a week. It's going to be a little slower for you since your just a little overweight. When I was 190lbs I could drop 4 lbs a weeks at first. Now at 153 I bet I could do stage 2 for a week and maybe drop a pound.

This makes sense.. I guess this would fall into line with the higher metabolism?  The higher the metabolism, the less weight I will lose?  Or do I have this backwards?

Offline zombo72

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 03:35:59 PM »
I started today.

I weigh 175, I want to weigh 150.  :-\

Offline Digger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:19 AM »
Welcome zombo!  You have a very realistic goal.  Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. 

Offline jklinder

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »
I did Stage one for 2 weeks and am in my third week of Stage 2.  I am 5'9" and weighed 248 pounds when I started about 5 weeks ago.  I'm down to 230 pounds for a loss of 18 pounds so far.   I'm losing about 3 pounds per week.  I'm feeling really good and my body is visibly changing every week.  I joined the gym this week and am really excited to be back in the gym.  I'm 41 years old and haven't been to the gym since my Air Force days (I got out in 1990).  I'm debating whether to go to Stage 3 or not.  My goal is 200 pounds.  At that point, I'll evaluate how I look and feel and might set a new goal to 180 pounds.  We'll see:)

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
I did Stage one for 2 weeks and am in my third week of Stage 2.  I am 5'9" and weighed 248 pounds when I started about 5 weeks ago.  I'm down to 230 pounds for a loss of 18 pounds so far.   I'm losing about 3 pounds per week.  I'm feeling really good and my body is visibly changing every week.  I joined the gym this week and am really excited to be back in the gym.  I'm 41 years old and haven't been to the gym since my Air Force days (I got out in 1990).  I'm debating whether to go to Stage 3 or not.  My goal is 200 pounds.  At that point, I'll evaluate how I look and feel and might set a new goal to 180 pounds.  We'll see:)

Way to go, great results.
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

Offline habaneromoon

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
i lost 25 pounds when i followed the diet, then i was very bad all summer, i gained about 5 pounds back.
today i start again i am at 203 pounds and 5'7". i am shooting for a 23 pound loss by xmas. i have a bet with my brother and cousin, we all are putting in 100$ whomever loses the goal weight wins if we all hit the goal we all win both ways ;D

Offline sennaho

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Hey everyone!
I came over this diet actually on a gaming forum, and it sounded intersting, so I googled it, and here I am.
After reading a bit about the diet, training and food that are listet on this page, I can say that I think I will like this.
I am going to start the diet tomorrow, and I am very much looking forward to how it's gonna go.

My goal for right now is to lose some weight, and also build some muscles.
My current weight is 187 pounds, and I would like to get to somewhere between 155-165 depending on how much muscles I am building.
We'll just have to see.

Wish me good luck!

Offline SunnysideRob

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:12 AM »
Started Phase 1 4 days ago, no weight loss yet, but not giving up.  6' 235# right now, want to hit 200# as first goal, 180# as my final goal.  Any tips?

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
You probably won't lose much on stage one as your still eating what you want in the evenings. Stick with it though as you WILL lose weight further down the line :)

Nicki

Offline aka_s2h

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 06:40:12 AM »
Just dont quit. Get stuck into the root veges and that should do the trick

Offline Erwin

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
Just found this diet the other day completely by coincidence.  I am looking to start in the next week or so but have some more researching to do, schedule a visit with my doctor, and just a couple of questions for the members here.  So here are the questions:

1.  How long should I stay in each phase?  What should be my signs to tell me to move on to the next?

2.  Is there any additional reading material you would recommend prior to starting, such as books?  Specifically the Primal Blueprint?

SO here is my story and my stats and goals.  I am a 33 year old father of four with a wonderful wife.  6 years ago I got into weightlifting pretty heavy and went from 195 pounds with a max bench of 185 pounds to 225 pounds with a max bench of 400 pounds.  Great size, muscle, and strength gains.  Then I had an injury, required shoulder surgery and now I am at a whopping 250 pounds and cannot find the motivation or drive to get back to the gym or eat healthy.  My surgery was over 2 years ago and I have recovered fine.  I am 5'10 and would like to get back down to 220 for starters.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Offline Maph3rs

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 01:47:25 AM »
Hi Erwin, Read the information on the first page and it will give the limits for the time frames. I am just day 2 in to my second week. I have not craved any food until about halfway through the day so i think im getting close to move over to phase 2. I suppose when you feel like you can go all day without food then phase 2 is your way forward. So instead of giving yourself a date let your body tell you when its ready. Remember though, dont graze to heavily on the fruit, nuts etc...
As for reading I have just trawled the internet. The paleo books cost like £16!! There is loads of websites with free recipies on. And this site is packed full of info.
James
"Sir, The impossible we can do right now. Miracles take a little longer".

Offline Erwin

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 05:42:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply Maph3rs.  I saw the suggested times but was really wondering about stage 2.  3-8 weeks, that is quite a range there.  I understand that this stage is to help detoxify your body so what are the signs that you are detoxed?  Without getting to gross or personal here are there certain things I am looking for? 

Offline Maph3rs

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
Hi Erwin,
No worries. Me personally I see stage 1 as weening me off the regimented eating style i have been taught all my life as well as processed foods! Its not easy to say no to the mash potato or chips....even coffe reduction and alcohol....
Stage 2 is for the main weight loss bit. The bigger you are the easier it is to loose weight (in my opinion). So after stage 1 you will have lost the 'easy' weight. Stage 2 will be trimming alltogether as you will only be eating healthy natural  food. Then when you feel you have lost enough then go to stage 3
Stage 1 - Feasting on processed and unhealthy foods everynight should get you sick of eating them
Stage 2 - Just eating healthy no rubbish foods
Stage 3 - Congrats paleo life reached.
On the main site he says if you think you have relapsed then go back to stage 1 and/or stage 2

Take each day as it comes. You will be amazed at how you feel coming into day 5-7. Keep a diary as well. Then you can monitor which days you were hungry and how much you ate. Also look forward to your feast, It will keep you strong throughout  the day.

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:59 AM »
Hi Erwin,

I would say the guidelines here are just that.... guidelines.

I would say you are detoxed when you feel fabulous, your skin and hair improve, and any previous bloating /headaches go.

Go on to the next stage whenever you feel ready........don't stick rigidly to the programme if you don't want to, i didn't!!

Nicki

Offline Shaard

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »
Howdy there!  I just started phase 1 on Sunday, and don't find it personally too hard to follow. I'm 6'4" and weight approx. 205 lbs I'm not doing this to lose weight although making the ol' gut shrink wouldnt be a bad thing. I just found out recently that I have stupid-high blood pressure for anyone let alone a 24 year old who used to run track and cross country. My main goals are to help cut out the offending causes that are going to ruin me in the long run.

The only thing so far that has caused some issue has been with the wife, as she is concerned as to what meals she will be able to make that fit the needs of me, as well as her and our 14 month old daughter. My diet will not work for her.

Deer hunting season started yesterday and I am using the excitement of that and the new diet to reenforce each other to be motivated to get a deer and motivated to do well with the diet.

So far I am loving the forum and look forward to being able to use it during my progress into a better healthier self!

Offline Maph3rs

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
Hi Shaard, I have a similar circumstance as yourself. When my wife makes a meal I just substitute the non-paleo foods for extra helpings of paleo friendly food.
Like last nights meal. Had extra cabbage instead of boiled potatoes.

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
  • Relearning how to live wild
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 02:12:32 AM »
Hi
I started a couple of days ago and am wondering if I am grazing too much? Like yesterday I had a box of salad with some tuna in but found myself eating a few forkfuls every hour or so. Should I be restricting that? It did mean I didn't give in to the vending machine though, so I'm guessing that's progress!
I've also been having trouble sleeping since I started the diet. As a former insomniac who managed to cure it by cutting out all caffeine and refined sugar after 3pm each day and forcing myself to stay awake for thirty hours until my brain gave in and allowed me to sleep, I'm worried I'll expose myself to sleep issues again on this diet. If carbs help me sleep, I have to say I'll eat a little in the day and worry about the weight gain later.

Anyway, I'm 5' 5" and weigh about 160lbs. Target weight about 130lbs. 31-year old female. My major problem is that I don't have any scales, so will be judging by body shape change. And boy, does it need to change!  ;D
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 04:37:25 AM »
Hard to say if your grazing too much, I try to stay in that not deprived feeling zone, but I'm in stage 3. I really didn't do Stage 1. I just started eating Paleo for a few weeks then went to stage 2 till I lost quite a bit of weight.

Are you doing any exercise? Maybe a 3 or 4 mile walk or run every day might help you sleep better.

I'd suggest invest in some scales too. Seeing the weight come down can inspire you to keep doing what your doing or let you know when you need to modify the plan.

Hi
I started a couple of days ago and am wondering if I am grazing too much? Like yesterday I had a box of salad with some tuna in but found myself eating a few forkfuls every hour or so. Should I be restricting that? It did mean I didn't give in to the vending machine though, so I'm guessing that's progress!
I've also been having trouble sleeping since I started the diet. As a former insomniac who managed to cure it by cutting out all caffeine and refined sugar after 3pm each day and forcing myself to stay awake for thirty hours until my brain gave in and allowed me to sleep, I'm worried I'll expose myself to sleep issues again on this diet. If carbs help me sleep, I have to say I'll eat a little in the day and worry about the weight gain later.

Anyway, I'm 5' 5" and weigh about 160lbs. Target weight about 130lbs. 31-year old female. My major problem is that I don't have any scales, so will be judging by body shape change. And boy, does it need to change!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:53:45 AM by houmax »
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.