Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

Do you believe that Astrology is true?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Astrology - a question of faith, not science.  (Read 18692 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Astrology - a question of faith, not science.
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »
I get quite frustrated when somebody asks what star sign I am... and immediately I feel as if I am dealing with an idiot.  Sorry to all those that believe in Astrology, but really; stop trying to pigeon-hole me into your 12 little categories.

Astrology is a multi-million dollar industry, cashing in on gullible people, and I thoroughly believe it has a negative impact on our civilisations, socially and personally.

I realise some people read their stars for fun, and not all followers are fanatical.  But still; if they're reading their stars just for fun, wouldn't the joke wear out rather quickly?

It's my assertion that Astrology is just another 'comfort blanket' that has been designed to make us feel comfortable in this amazingly unpredictable world.  There is no evidence supporting it's validity.  And each time you let Astrology influence your decision making, you are abandoning your natural instinct of reasoning - which could be defined as simply; being stupid.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Madison

• Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Astrology - a question of faith, not science.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:19:28 AM »
Whoa!.. :o You've made quite a statement here Matt (that I'm sure is going to tick quite a few people off too!)
Personally, I do believe if one reads their horoscope daily/weekly through either newspapers or magazines that their not going to get any sort of true insight into their day or coming week but I do believe it has its merits.. I've never fully delved into Astrology myself but certain things I've read have shown to be quite true re the traits of one's personality..
So what is it that bugs you the most? Is it that people pay to have in-depth readings that you believe is a farce or money making scam or is it that if one reads their horoscope that entails some form of hope that this person is going to crumble at the end of the day if what they read earlier on didn't end up happening?
Fear. Courage. Freedom

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
So what is it that bugs you the most?

What bugs me the most about of Astrology is the fact that it categorises people - and does so without supporting evidence.  The fact that Astrology exploits gullible people is a secondary issue.  Astrology is a problem because it discourages discovery of others, as well as oneself.  It instead tries to encourage presuppositions, or pre-judgement.

In essence, Astrology is a polite form of bigotry.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:41:53 PM by Matt Emery »

Offline LAChick

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • The Pink Guide to Going Green
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:40:14 PM »
You're being such a Taurus Matt haha  ;) Just kidding

Unfortunately that puts me squarely in the 'idiot' box and would I like to point out the irony in your statement about not wanting to categorise people through Astrology and labelling people idiots for believing in it.

OK, I feel a argument coming on - do your worst...  ;D

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:05:01 AM »
I like to point out the irony in your statement about not wanting to categorise people through Astrology and labelling people idiots for believing in it.

Ironic?  I disagree.
Feeling like i'm dealing with an idiot is an impression I get about a person, based on their assertions or behaviour... which is quite different to having a preconceived notion of a person, without giving them a chance to assert or behave.

Why do you believe in Astrology?

Offline LAChick

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
Honestly, I like Astrology - I don't believe in it so much as a tool for prediction or characterisation of people but I like the principle of "as above - so below" meaning that the universe and all it may encompass are inextricably linked.

I like that we've always looked up to try to find meaning to our lives - religion, astronomy, astrology whatever your thing is that helps you find your place in the world. Maybe you don't need to look anywhere for that - no problem. So, as a concept of tracking movements in the sky to track movements in our world - I think it's cool. I'm not though going to make major decisions in my life based on what is interpreted by those movements above - but I'm never really all that surprised when the two match up. I use reason and intuition (which I believe you need to cultivate by quietening the mind through meditation etc) to make my decisions.

As for characterising people based on 12 overlapping and 'almost applicable to anyone' standards - it's very wish-washy and has been 'found' (I'll stop short of saying 'proven' because from what I've seen so far - nothing has been really proven either way) by many sceptics to be so. I'll agree with you on that point.

I don't agree that you're not making the same pre-judgement of people though with your statement and that to me is the more important aspect. It's all well and good to not believe in anything that's not scientifically proven but I don't think it's a helpful attitude to label people idiots if they have other ways of forming their opinions.

By feeling we're dealing with someone who's an idiot - we'll usually (maybe even sub-consciously) treat them as one until they prove themselves not to be one and overcome our pre-judgement.

I understand your argument. They're judging you based on their beliefs - you're judging them based on their actions- but what's the difference? Although it's not so much a case of being right or wrong - it's more a case of attitude and I'm curious as to why it all bothers you so much. People are judging you everyday based on what you wear, where you live, the way you speak etc why should one more level of judgement be so hard to accept? It's our job as human beings to get along - so what if people make judgements about us based on a belief system we don't subscribe to - is it really that much of a big deal - can't we just think to ourselves 'whatever' and just get on with our day.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
I like the principle of "as above - so below" meaning that the universe and all it may encompass are inextricably linked.

It makes sense to me that "as above - so below" has merit, I personally believe that the universe is one big ecosystem, however, linking the attributes of that ecosystem is a tricky one.  An obvious one that comes to mind is the Sun, it clearly has a direct effect on humans, so I am open to being convinced that Astrology could be true, based on the assertion that the Universe is an ecosystem.

It's all well and good to not believe in anything that's not scientifically proven but I don't think it's a helpful attitude to label people idiots if they have other ways of forming their opinions

I didn't say I dismiss all things because that aren't proven by science.  And having said that, I agree entirely with your above statement.

I use reason and intuition (which I believe you need to cultivate by quietening the mind through meditation etc) to make my decisions.

I like that, a lot.  I think that's a very natural thing to do.

I understand your argument. They're judging you based on their beliefs - you're judging them based on their actions- but what's the difference?

Pre-judging somebody, based on nothing but their birth-date is very much different to post-judging somebody based on their actions.  The former has very little utility, in comparison to the latter.

Although it's not so much a case of being right or wrong - it's more a case of attitude and I'm curious as to why it all bothers you so much.

It bothers me because it impedes people from seeking the truth.

People are judging you everyday based on what you wear, where you live, the way you speak etc why should one more level of judgement be so hard to accept?

I have targeted Astrology because of it's relatively large influence on society.

It's our job as human beings to get along - so what if people make judgements about us based on a belief system we don't subscribe to - is it really that much of a big deal

Not really.  And I must admit, Astrology is trivial in comparison to some of the mono-theistic religions.

can't we just think to ourselves 'whatever' and just get on with our day.

Absolutely. I do have a "live and let" attitude, but i'm keen to explore the validity of Astrology with other readers on this website.  I think it's an interesting topic.

PS did you guess that I was a Taurus ???

Offline LAChick

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »
If I'm right I'll explain how I know - so, am I right?  ;)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »
If I'm right I'll explain how I know - so, am I right?  ;)

Yep, Astrology categorises me as a Taurus.

Offline cave_girl1702

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »
I tend to agree with LA Chick.

I get the impression that as much as you say you aren't, you really are grouping people. There are tonnes of people who believe to a certain extent.... how do you perceive them? As almost idiots?

I personally, have found a website that has extremely accurate star signs - although, this one also takes into account, your name, age, and time you were born. I was never a really big believer until the last few months when statement after statement after statement came out correct. And, this also happened for my sister. Still, I have to admit that I dont take it as gospel that this will happen - its just something fun to read when you get the chance - or rather me, when I get the chance.

On the other hand, you may be right... lets keep spreading the word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and see where we are in the future... perhaps without anything to believe in. No God and no starsigns.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »
I get the impression that as much as you say you aren't, you really are grouping people. There are tonnes of people who believe to a certain extent.... how do you perceive them? As almost idiots?

No. I don't think everybody who believes in Astrology is an idiot.  I assume there have been many wonderful people throughout the ages that were also believers in Astrology, and I know several personally.

And for the record; I apologise to anybody that I may have offended.  It seems my initial statement came from a place of intolerance and was clearly defamatory - which is something I am not proud of, at all.  Next time i'll think before I write.

Having said that, i'm keen to move on, and continue the discussion about the topic at hand; is Astrology true?

I personally, have found a website that has extremely accurate star signs
Can we have a link?

On the other hand, you may be right... lets keep spreading the word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and see where we are in the future... perhaps without anything to believe in. No God and no starsigns.

I'm on a quest to find the truth, despite the possibility of it being unpleasant or discomforting.

Offline Renee

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 04:54:24 AM »
I don`t read my star sign often but i have had a couple of readings done. First it was curiosity, to see if anything would come true. I have had 2 readings done in 10 years and things that the first reader said came up in my second reading which was done by a different person. It was about people (spirits) around me. i dont believe people are stupid for what they believe in. I personally don`t believe in god, i do believe in spirits through my own freaky encounters. I dont pray to god, i speak to my grandfather. I believe he is my guardian angel.

I was sent this website and thought it was fascinating www.paulsadowski.com/birthdata

Maybe you could get a kick out of it too.

I dont live by my readings, i dont base my decisions on them but as I am a curious bugger I like to have some sort of insight to what the future holds. And if it happens it happens if it don`t well so what....

shaunmills

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:10:42 AM »
Hi friends,
I live in USA.
Well I was not much into astrology until I understood its value in my life. I had loss in my business and was going through a very tough phase. Then one of my friends suggested me vedic astrology. Since then my financial position has improved a lot. I have regained my confidence and also have started to follow astrology . Currently I am doing some research work on it. I would recommend everyone to make astrology a part of their life .. Well I am not suggesting to leave hard work as only way to success is hard work and determination, but what I am trying to say is that astrology walks hand to hand with hard work and shields us from negative power if used correctly..
Reviews are welcomed.
Cheers and God bless everyone!!
Shaun Mills

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
 Absolutely ridiculous. Magic was sealed away from the world years ago.

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
This year, it was announced that the star signs people associate with their birth months were wrong. There is even a 13th sign now

In the thousands of years since the birth signs were codified, the Earth has moved, yet the signs were never recaculated to the actual postions of the stars. Last year I was a Virgo, now with the recaculated postions, I'm a Leo. Hasn't made a lick of difference though, I'm still me.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
  • Relearning how to live wild
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »
I'm an air sign, so believing that makes me an airhead, right??  ;D

As Professor Brian Cox once said on live TV, "astrology is for nobbers". Big love to him!
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 12:09:08 AM »
Astrology is bullshit... so sayeth the Maddox.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=astrology

**WARNING:  The article linked to above is NOT kid-friendly, and a fully-engaged sense of humor is strongly advised.**
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 08:22:23 PM »
astrology is fun to read about but when it comes down to it I know its B.S.  some people i know swear by it and my "sign" suits me, but i don't rely on it like so many do. Its just one of those things i consider fun but not to be taken seriously.
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline xclusiv8

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
There have been studies in this. A certain professor did this in a collage. He gave all the students a paper each. It was that weeks horoscope for a certain sign. But they did not know this. He told them to describe on a scale how accurate it is to their current life.

Almost all students answered that it was very accurate and it was like written for their life. What he asked them to do later was to pass the paper back and the one in the pack to pass it to the front of course. All of the students started to laugh because they realized that all of them had the same piece of paper with the same piece of information on it.

Astrology is pure bullshit. Its global scam.  All they do is use keywords that every human being on this planet can relate to. And when sometimes by chance those very common keywords happen in real life they call it star reading. BULLSHIT!

Offline globetrekker

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
I agree that astrology is not a proven science, but then again, a lot of things about the human experience just that, unproven. What I think astrology is meant for is the ability to take away insights and reflect upon oneself. Too often we overlook the other aspects of health and well-being (mental and emotional). If horoscopes can bring solace to people, why can't it be useful?
“And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart:

Your seeds shall live in my body,
And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,
And your fragrance shall be my breath,
And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons.”
― Kahlil Gibran