Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

How long do you typically sleep for?

10 hours
4 (4.5%)
9 hours
7 (7.9%)
8 hours
29 (32.6%)
7 hours
23 (25.8%)
6 hours
17 (19.1%)
5 hours
7 (7.9%)
4 hours
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Sleep - how much do you need?  (Read 16262 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Sleep - how much do you need?
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:22:46 PM »
I tend to perform at my peak after a good 8 to 9 hours sleep.  Anything less than 6 hours sleep and I feel weak, anxious, and delirious.  But I know of some people that operate well with only 5 or 6 hours sleep, I wonder why?

Additionally, a major complication is the fact that our 'Circadian Rhythms' are distorted due to artificial lighting and our indoors lifestyle.  It is widely believed (and proven) that our brains release certain chemicals to induce sleep when there is little or no light filtering through our eyeballs - which supports the assertion that artificial lighting effects our sleep patterns.

So, how about you - how long do you typically sleep for?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:24:24 PM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep - how much do you need?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »
Yep, our circadian rhythms are disrupted by artificial light, which is a whole lot weaker than natural sunlight. The sun gives our body the cue that it's daytime, and lack of the sun means it's night time, and soon time to sleep (melatonin the sleep hormone is only produced in the absence of light). Our sleep systems work better with sunlight, exercise, paleo foods that don't rollercoaster our blood sugar, and a lack of stimulants and depressants like coffee and alcohol.

I find that when I sleep with my curtains open, the sun can wake me up pretty well, without the grogginess associated with many people. I can do pretty well with 6 hours of sleep, but I don't do any exercise either (which I am soon to change).

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:27:19 PM »
Yep, our circadian rhythms are disrupted by artificial light, which is a whole lot weaker than natural sunlight. The sun gives our body the cue that it's daytime, and lack of the sun means it's night time, and soon time to sleep (melatonin the sleep hormone is only produced in the absence of light). Our sleep systems work better with sunlight, exercise, paleo foods that don't rollercoaster our blood sugar, and a lack of stimulants and depressants like coffee and alcohol.

Well put, and I agree.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline elitesoldier

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
hey matt i envy you if you get to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. in the military they tell us that "the Army didnt issue you sleep so take whatever time you do sleep as a cruch" i usually get about 6 hours or less. in Ranger school we would get an average of about 2 hours a night if we were lucky. but one day when i retire from the military i think im gonna blockoff a whole week devoted to sleeping!! ;D
"Not For the Weak or Faint Hearted"
"Pain is temporary, Pride last forever"
"Suck it up, ruck up, change your socks, and drive on"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »
It's not just the amount of sleep, it's how well you sleep. There have been several studies about sleep using powerlifters and bodybuilders as subjects that showed 6hrs of deep sleep was vastly superior to 8hrs of sleep interrupted throught the night in regards to hGH and iGF production.

The deeper the sleep, the better the body builds and repairs itself regardless of the time actually slept.
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Tulsa

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
I typically sleep 6-7 hours a night. I go to bed at 8, get up at 4 for work. I'm in bed 8 hours but don't sleep the whole time. On weekends I can get in 8-9 hours sleep which I really enjoy.

Offline swamtheman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
I think I have to agree that for the most part it is the quality of sleep that matters most.  After a killer workout I can get 5 or 6 hours of awesome sleep and feel great the next.  But I must say that I do love those days where I can afford 8-9 hours though  ;D

Offline gunfix_r

• Cub
  • I am what I am...............
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
Unfortunetly I battle with insomnia due to a head injury a number of years ago.   Some nights 2hrs.  Most nights 4 or 5.  There is still the occasional 1 or less,  but I guess I am just used to it after all these years.  If I manage to get 8  I feel like total crap the next day.
There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love.  Its a simple fact.    MAA  James Keating

Justice don't come often,  but now and then it shows up for a second or two,  helped along by a good trigger finger.   

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
I seem to do fine with 6 but I prefer 8. I love to sleep because I love to dream.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I love to sleep because I love to dream.

I'm right with you there! I dream alot, especially recently. Every now and then I will have spiritually enlightening dreams that will last a could couple of weeks, it keeps my mood up. Which is good considering my current predicament, I need that boost  ;D

that'd also explain why I have been reading shakespear plays like theres no tomorrow... I love dreaming in shakespear haha
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline Rossy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 03:20:55 AM »
I guess am getting used to roughly 7.5 hours per night and maybe 8.5 on a weekend. Always feel crap when I wake though and nearly always tap the snooze button twice for a gentle wake!!! Am I normal  ;)

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »
hey matt i envy you if you get to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. in the military they tell us that "the Army didnt issue you sleep so take whatever time you do sleep as a cruch" i usually get about 6 hours or less. in Ranger school we would get an average of about 2 hours a night if we were lucky. but one day when i retire from the military i think im gonna blockoff a whole week devoted to sleeping!! ;D

So in the military they want you operating at a low performance level? Are they expecting to not have to pay you when you die?

Offline Olin35

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:42 AM »
Hi Everyone...
      In general 8 hours sleep on the average is essential for good health.
I am free now a days and don;t have much to do so I sleep at most 10 hours a day.
orlando boot camp
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:50:14 PM by Olin35 »
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none.

Offline amysue

• Cub
  • waiting to heal and hopefully lose weight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
If I sleep more than 8 hours I usually wake with a headache and feel lazy all day.  If I do sleep too long I find it hard to go to sleep the next night.
Mother of 2 wonderful young men

In love with a retired Army TeddyBear

Loves being a nurse

My Chihuahua Zoey is the little girl I never had

Missing my parents in Indiana

Loves living in the Lonestar state

Facebook lover good way to stay connected just be smart about it!

Chocoholic!
 Carbaddict!!

GOAL:  Go from an overweight woman to a beautiful, healthy            CAVEWOMAN!!!!!

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS WEBSITE!!

Offline Lovejamie

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »
I usually get right at 7 hours of sleep a night.  It is very true that the type of sleep you get matters a whole lot.  I used to have a spring mattress that would make me toss and turn.  I would get 8/9 hours of sleep and still feel horrible in the morning.  I have since switched to a tempurpedic and after 7hrs, I feel refreshed and ready to start my day.

Offline mislaura7

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
I am new here and have friends that say the Gym is 70-640  the best way to get a good work out.  I have a chance to buy a bowflex but I'm not sure if this is the best route for me .  We live in the Hill country in Texas so, there are a lot of roads with hills and a lot of rough terrain for hiking.