Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Barefoot training  (Read 72504 times)

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Barefoot training
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE[/youtube]
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Barefoot training
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
very interesting video! My aunts always want to yell at me for walking on the upper pad of my foot instead of my heels, now I can prove to them that It has a fucnction haha
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline Rob-The-Spartan

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
Very cool and informative

Offline TheBadgerFactor

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
Fascinating video! Next time I'm out running, I'm gonna try is.
There's no food faster than a piece of fruit.

Offline TrailGrrl

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:51:03 AM »
I've been doing all my trail running barefoot or in Vibram Five Fingers.  It totally changes how your run and the energy expenditure and stress on your body.  Try running downhill or uphill barefoot... suddenly you are light and springy, not all heel pounding flatfootedness.  I had lots of injuries from running and triathlon and was always fitted for motion control shoes.  But finally, no mas.  And I've got some Converse Chucks to run around in.  No arch stuff at all.  Running barefoot is hard on your calves the first few times.  You will be sore for sure so even though it feels light and airy at the time, make sure you keep the time really really short.  I say that now, of course not doing it myself and being totally unable to walk up or down stairs for two days.  You can feel the surface texture and uneveness through the Vibrams.  Mud feels cooler.  It will activate all your senses and make you feel like you are stalking some serious prey.  I recommend it to everyone.  Most people think it's nuts, but all I know is that my injuries went away.  Everything they tell you to do for plantar faciitis is totally wrong.  Your balance will improve as well.  I work in strength and balance stuff in the woods and it is much more enjoyable.  Not sure how the Vibrams would do on seriously long treks.

TrailGrrl

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »
during my run the other day I was talking to my sister about this, she found it very interesting and my cousin who is on the track team at her school said that she wants to get the vibram five fingers for her long distance training.
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline Jäger

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »
I've been running barefoot for months now it is the best thing ever!

Offline taimenz

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 06:02:01 AM »
I've always been barefoot growing up and loved it. Didn't take it to seriously till last year, I hurt my foot and shoes killed me wearing them for months. I ran barefoot till it snowed this winter then I ran in feelmax shoes until the snows were gone. The only thing that still gets me is holly leaves I hate them.
The spirit of wilderness, born into those who seek the quiet placs in the temples of creation, unencumbered by the shackles and comforts of society, is the only reality.  Man becomes real, fulfilling his destiny, nourishing his soul, and touching the Creator with every step. Tom Brown Jr.

Offline AidanJ

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:43:19 AM »
TrailGrrl! thank you for finally putting a name to the Vibram Five Fingers! The snipers in my unit always used rock around in them and i never knew what they were, but thanks to you I bought my first pair today and I must say my life is changed, as a natural built sprinter, i feel so light and agile wearing them so thank you very much!   :D

Offline Modern Savage

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
This shows the technique that my unit used for scouting(1998!). It was something the guys came up with themselves and enabled us to run for longer before fatigue set in on the limbs. Now we have proof we were doing it right!

:)
"We do not own the Earth. We borrow it from our Children" Masai Saying.

"We're Paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded"

"Orthodoxy is the death of intelligence" Bertrand Russell

"The beaten track is for the beaten man"

"Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!"

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:25:17 AM »
New shoes from Merrell/Vibram partnership are available now. Ordered a pair tonight...

The backstory
http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/merrell-and-vibram-introducing-merrell-barefoot-for-2011/

Where to order online. I assume they'll be in better sport stores too.
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot_Collection
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
These look fantastic, will have to look further into this, and perhaps gather the pennies.

Dan.
"Everyone Dies, But Not Everyone Lives."

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

" If it's not hard, it aint worth doing"

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. "

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:40:07 PM »
 Mymother got me a physiotherapist for walking properly. Although I do admittedly have short achilles tendons.

Offline sghulett

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
excellent find on the video.  Thanks
Gretchen
Princess (daughter of a King)
Married to my Hunky Monkey since 1994
Mom of 3
Grandma of 1

Offline unicaveman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:58:46 AM »
thanks for the video Tony!

Having recently getting pain in my achilles when running I decided to go for a barefoot run in my local park today. I was amazed at the difference it made with barely any discomfort from my heels and, despite the odd looks I got from walking down the streets without shoes  ;D, will be sure to continue this style of running!

Offline Marksman

• Cub
  • Live life U only have ONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
I have been running in Vibrams for over a year now awesome. Completely changes how you run and now I rarely have any knee soreness.
The future is not planned it is IMAGINED

Offline Falcon

• Hunter
  • Relearning how to live wild
    • View Profile
    • HubPages
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 01:50:18 AM »
John Durant over at www.hunter-gatherer.com had some pictures up of celebs running - Scarlet Johannson in Five Fingers with a good forefoot strike and Owen Wilson in normal trainers heel-striking. I have to say, he looked heavy and lumbering and she looked really light and easy - and that's just from stills photos. She just looked... I don't know, natural? Better? Wilson just seemed to be slamming his whole body weight through his heels and she was practically bouncing down the road. Very interesting to compare.

Falcon
No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message. However, several hundred electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline cav0011

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
I have run in vibrams for about 18 months now.  They are amazing, I have had chronic knee pain and shin splints most of my life, with them I have 0 knee pain and shin splints hurt about half as much and heal vs hurting like crazy and getting worse.  I got my most recent shin splints running in a pair of traditional sneakers.  For some reason I got it in my head that I needed cushioning agian.... I dont know why I ever use anything else but my vibrams.

Offline Steppenrig

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 01:17:36 AM »
Hi all,

I came across this the other night, and thought I'd try it. I normally hate running, however my next posting has a lot of physical fitness and running to it, so I"m getting myself worked towards running. I went for a run around my suburb last night, barefoot. Other than the blisters from running on the road, and some stiffness in my calves, it was great.

I wanted some five fingers, and even tried some on at the shops today, but as I'm Navy, they'd take a dim view of them. So I got some 'minimalist' shoes instead ($180 !!!!!!  >:( )

I'm off for a run later tonight when Suzy gets home

Dave

Offline Jana

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »
I go around a lot barefoot and I consider starting jogging since last winter. I've tried it out two weeks ago, walking, and it's nice. A problem is that I can only run on the field/forest trails which tend to have some sharp gravel. Asphalt only goes a few kilometers and then I'm stuck in the major traffic. No way I'm replacing the woods with the traffic. Perhaps I'll start thinking of buying the five fingers.
Otherwise I have plenty of experience with bare foot dancing, I danced contemporary. Judging from it there is no better feeling, nothing more natural than bare foot.
If someone thinks of running bare foot afresh, it's better to do some feet conditioning first, such as walking bare foot in an apartment. this way the calves and the tendons get used to a new movement. the practitioner also develops a more natural walking, soft walking and not landing on a heel. Another thing is that, myself, I wouldn't start running immediately. Feet tend to blister quickly and a surgical removal of blisters, which can get infected and are suitably very deep under the skin, is not that painless and you can't run with an open foot for a while (been there, done that).
I've started with walking and so far so good.
odd looks of the passers by are guaranteed too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:18:03 PM by Jana »
Cavewoman since March 8 2012.

Offline lance

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
keep in mind that when people ran barefoot to catch prey they weren't running on pavement, they were running on softer ground that would give some, am I correct?  Wouldn't this be much easier to run on and also slightly conform to the shape of the foot?  Just a small increase in the time taken for a change in momentum would greatly reduce stress on the foot, would it not?  Wouldn't running on pavement would have a yield a much smaller impulse than running on even tough earth.

Offline Jandonn

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
Well Having lately getting pain in my achilles when running I decided to go for a without footwear run in my regional area these days. I was impressed by the distinction it made with hardly any discomfort from my heels and, despite the odd looks I got from strolling down the roads without footwear, will be sure to proceed this style of running.