Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Migraine Headaches  (Read 18113 times)

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Migraine Headaches
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
I was grazing on a pear last night when I was struck with a terrible migraine headache. I have not had one in almost a year but that is not out of the ordinary. I usuall get 1-3 a year. The migraines I suffer from are not just headaches alone. They interfere with my vision and cause numbness in my right arm. No fun at all! Does anyone here know of any natural remedy's for migraines? Currently to treat these headaches I consume caffeine to thin the blood and separate myself from light and noise.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Migraine Headaches
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »
Hit some coffee, it's easier to cut back than cold turkey.

Bad thing for me is I love the stuff. I grind my own, super strong, dark stuff. I'm cutting back but doubt I'll ever give it up completely.
Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
I made myself some strong black tea. It is easier on my stomach than coffee.

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:13:59 AM »
Willow Bark tea helps me curb some of the pain.

My Fiance had a terrible headache 2 weekeneds ago, it had him bed ridden.. When I took him to the doc she said that caffiene was a terrible thing to give someone suffering a headache... odd because I remember Excedrin working wonders when I was younger and it had caffiene in it... I wonder why this is...
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline houmax

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »
I agree, I sometimes get bad sinus headaches and pain killers always work better with a coffee chaser  ;D

Fight apathy, or not.

Hoon responsibly.

"The trouble with internet quotations is that most are just made up" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
I need to get some coffee in my house! It sounds very useful!!

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
According to my doctor my headaches are caused when the blood vessels in my brain spasm. The restricted blood flow cause the blindness and the numbness in my arm. According to my doctor caffeine thins the blood allowing more blood to travel through the constricted veins and helps reduce the symptoms.

At least this is what my doctor told me. He also prescribed me a drug called Imatrex but I cant handle that stuff. Ugh! Its creeping me out just thinking about it. It made my brain feel like it was melting down my spine. I know it sounds weird but that what it felt like. I would rather suffer 10 migraine's than experience drug again!

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
I always got soem crazy symptoms from taking drugs. I had to take Darvocet (a pain killer) after my last surgery and it was terrible, I would have rather delt with the pain than deal with the symptoms of the drug. Sometimes it just isnt worth it to have no pain.

Offline gunfix_r

• Cub
  • I am what I am...............
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
I have a remedy that I use for sinus headaches that may help with migraines.  Its a product purported to be natural called Sinus Buster.  The same company makes one for headaches and allergies, but I have only experienced the sinus one.  Be ADVISED,  it is quite a rush when using as the main ingredient is Cayanne extract.  I has worked wonders for me, although I am unsure as to how paleo it is.
There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love.  Its a simple fact.    MAA  James Keating

Justice don't come often,  but now and then it shows up for a second or two,  helped along by a good trigger finger.   

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:11:22 PM »
I have a remedy that I use for sinus headaches that may help with migraines.  Its a product purported to be natural called Sinus Buster.  The same company makes one for headaches and allergies, but I have only experienced the sinus one.  Be ADVISED,  it is quite a rush when using as the main ingredient is Cayanne extract.  I has worked wonders for me, although I am unsure as to how paleo it is.

oooh! that sounds spicey!  ;D

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
I get the same kinds of migraines as you :( visual loss, numbness, sometimes just hands, sometimes just feet, but f it is really bad I can loose sensation in both legs and/or arms. I get a numb face, my sense of smell is heightened and I get really sick. As well as the really bad throbbing head of course!

My Dr prescribed me Topiramate which is an anti seizure drug used by epileptics and a a low dose of amytriptaline to help me sleep. The combination of these two has reduced my migraine attacks from  up to 5 in  week down to 1-3 a year which is amazing. I also have Almagran to take when I feel the aura coming on before hand, (Numbness, vision loss etc), not the nicest, but given I am going to spend the next 12 hours in bed, it matters not!

The interesting thing I have found with the Paleo diet is, starting it has coincided with the dr deciding to stop my amytriptaline   due to a rapid heart rate probem. So my sleep had been awful, (Has been since I was a kid), but since starting this less than a week ago I am sleeping easier, for longer and waking much fresher and more alert than I have ever done! Now if I can get off the seizure drugs, the BP meds and my allergy meds, I will be one happy cave woman! ;) one at a time eh?

Offline Veri

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
so i feel for all my fellow migraine sufferers.  i honestly feel as if i have had at least a migraine a month (if not a week) since i was 9 years old.  (firts migraine in 4th grade). 
I have tried to topomax, yes it decreased the migrains but i had really weird side effects.  things tasted metallic. and my breasts really ached,
Imitrex is absolutely EVIL i felt as if someone was clawing at the left side of my throat.
i take fiorocet, which is basically caffeine...tylenol... and some other ingredient, butalbito. which i believe is basically a relaxant.  it helps, but if you keep taking it, not taking it will give you a migraine!
i agree with the coffee people.  caffeine really helps and hopefully i will go through menopause some day because my mother said her headaches stopped then.
oh and i feel that sugar brings on headaches as well as eating too much, anyone else get a headache from a big lunch?

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
 I have no idea why I get headaches.

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »
so i feel for all my fellow migraine sufferers.  i honestly feel as if i have had at least a migraine a month (if not a week) since i was 9 years old.  (firts migraine in 4th grade). 
I have tried to topomax, yes it decreased the migrains but i had really weird side effects.  things tasted metallic. and my breasts really ached,

I have been suffering since I was about 10, although back then it was just a bad headache, it wasn't until I started getting aura that they diagnosed properly. That was 7 years ago when I was heavily pregnant and woke up to find I couldn't see and couldn't feel my legs below the knee, or my hands, I had an awful taste in my mouth and ringing in my ears like I can't even begin to describe. I thought I was dying, I have never felt so ill. 24 hours of sedation later and I was fine!

It's interesting what you say about the side effects, I am pretty lucky, I get minor pins and needles if I up my dose for the first few days, but I have had rally sore breasts from time to time, never put the two together before, however, sore breasts for a week every couple of months or a couple of migraines a week is an easy trade off for me :) I only get the taste if I have a migraine coming on, its one of the early warning signs...

Offline Veri

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »
im so glad you replied i always thought my side effects were really weird.  but i had to quit the topomax i had stabbing pains in my breasts that were really just unbearable and so unpredictable....

Offline sghulett

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
actually caffine doesn't thin the blood it dialates the vessles and will allow more blood to flow.
Gretchen
Princess (daughter of a King)
Married to my Hunky Monkey since 1994
Mom of 3
Grandma of 1

Offline Primal-Lioness

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
Cup of black coffee and rub lavendar oil on the temples.  Lie down in a dark, quiet room and the headache will magically disappear.

Offline Huphry

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »
Various parts of brain could be involved in migraine and depending on the part that could be affected it is of various types:

1. Vertebro basilar Migraine: In this type of migraine, lower part of brain is affected and so activities like consciousness and balance of body are affected, resulting in symptoms like Fainting with an Aura, Vertigo, Tinnitus (ringing in the ears), difficulty in speaking.

2. Hemiplegic migraine: This is again of two types, Familial and Sporadic, both of which involve motor weakness (partial paralysis) and migraine accompanied by an aura (light as halo).

3. Retinal migraine: These are very rare attacks and are accompanied by visual disturbances such as temporary blacked condition which sometimes can even reach the extent of one eye going blind.
migraine Treatment

The treatment for migraine can involve medication therapy and non medication therapy.

In non medication therapy, the preventive measures can be opted for such as having a sound sleep which can lower the migraine.

In medication therapy, there are many drug regimens which can be opted for, but generally the simpler drugs include Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as:

• Ibuprofen
• Naproxen

Sometimes drug classes such as Tricyclic anti depressants and SSRIs are also prescribed for effective treatment.

In worse cases where these drug treatments do no work, Migraine surgery can also be performed where the areas affected causing migraine are surgically removed.
7 safest  *Link Removed*  & 7 Shortlisted  *Link Removed*

Offline AskTheNanny

• Cub
  • " Remember WHY you are here...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
Taurine 2400 mg and magnesium citrate 400 mg three times a day
Treadsoftly

Offline Dave_mma

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 06:44:50 PM »
I too suffer from migraine headaches. I get migraines about 3 times a week. My doc has me on a few meds and im just hoping this new diet will help. Ive had migraines since I was a little kid and im 31 now. I get sensitivity to lights noise and vomiting as well. My meds make me really tired because there beta blockers but its helping a little. I also get strong narcodics only for when my migraines get really bad. My goal is to be off all meds!