Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: Fighting Infectious Disease - without pharmaceuticals.  (Read 8805 times)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
Fighting Infectious Disease - without pharmaceuticals.
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »
I have a routine for fighting infectious disease such as Cold and Flu, and it goes like this;

• At first sign of symptoms (i.e. sore throat, declining energy levels) I gargle salt water or mouthwash.
  • I begin taking Olive Leaf Extract mixed with Echinacea (50/50 solution) several times a day.
  • I incubate myself in a warm bed for several hours, overheating my body.
  • I sleep as much as possible and stay sedentary (very lazy) for 24 hours.
  • I consume hot vegetable soup with very spicy chilli, in very small amounts. My water intake is slightly higher than average.
  • I aim to get at least a couple of hours of direct sunlight, which really seems to help.

It has served me well for years.

Does anybody else have any recommendations, or indeed; criticism of the above points?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:42:35 AM by Matt Emery »
"Be true to your biology"

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Infectious Disease - without pharmaceuticals.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »
One aspect of training in the Russian martial art of Systema is the health practice known as "cold tempering."  Basically, it involves subjecting the body to brief periods of intense cold, to which the body responds by quickly spiking its core temperature, effecting a sort of "mini-fever," if you will.  This is a great way to help your immune system keep invading microbes in check.  I'm really making a long story short here, but that's it in a nutshell.

Here's a great way to try it out, using a method known as "cold water dousing."  At least once a day (but preferably twice), fill up a bucket with water as cold as you can get it from the faucet.  Breathe in, pour the water over your head, and breathe out.  Repeat as desired.  Don't warm yourself up immediately, but spend a minute or so practicing deep breathing.  It's convenient to do this right after a shower, before you get out and dry off.  If you are able to do it outside, I'd encourage you to do so.  I've received some strange looks from the neighbors while doing this in the middle of a northern Wisconsin winter, standing in a couple feet of snow, when the temperature is well below freezing.  I like to follow it up by rubbing myself down with handfuls of snow.  In the summer, it's also a fantastic way to cool off.  If you're sick, you might douse as often as every couple of hours.

A friend of my dad's is an avid duck hunter.  Years ago, in late autumn, he was suffering from a terrible "stomach flu."  Vomitting, diarrhea, the works... but not enough to stop him from going hunting.  As luck would have it, he shot a nice drake that landed right in the middle of an ice cold pond.  Not having a dog at the time, he had to retrieve it himself.  By the time he reached the duck, the water was up to his chin.  By the time he returned to shore, he was no longer sick.  At all.  True story.

If anyone else gives cold water dousing a try, I'd love to hear what you think of it!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:42:59 PM by Tony Bondioli »
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline bodhi9

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »
Wow those are some adventurous ways of healing the body. I like the 1st technique discussed by Matt Emery, it seems like a formula that you have worked on for a long time. I personally like to take a long hot shower while drinking a hot green tea while also sequestering myself in a bed for several hours keeping my body temperature warm but still comfortable.
Taking as hot a shower as I can stand then maybe if the temperature is cold out, I stand outside for a while and then sequester myself in the bed.

Offline nick

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »
if its just a cold and not the flue i work out with light weights and a light jog to keep the body temp up. i follow that up with the spa and sauna. I also eat spicy food and get extra sleep. Usually my cold will only last half the time it does with everyone else. I find the light workout the most benefital i think that might be because excercise increases your temp for up to 6 hours after you stop.

Offline Phanatic

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »
Seems there are a lot of people trying to "sweat it out" with temperature, which is interesting because a fever is how our body seems to cope with some infections. I've found that with intermittent fasting, my body is much better at defending against pathogens and I don't really get sick. Perhaps a slight runny nose now and again if I get slack.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
I've found that with intermittent fasting, my body is much better at defending against pathogens and I don't really get sick.

I fast intermittently when I have a Gastroenteritis problem.  However, when faced with a cold or flu, my immune system responds better to grazing.
"Be true to your biology"

Offline lamborghini

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »
 I've received some strange looks from the neighbors while doing this in the middle of a northern Wisconsin winter, standing in a couple feet of snow, when the temperature is well below freezing.  I like to follow it up by rubbing myself down with handfuls of snow.

In the summer, it's also a fantastic way to cool off.  If you're sick, you might douse as often as every couple of hours.

Here's a great way to try it out, using a method known as "cold water dousing."  At least once a day (but preferably twice), fill up a bucket with water as cold as you can get it from the faucet.  Breathe in, pour the water over your head, and breathe out.  Repeat as desired.  Don't warm yourself up immediately, but spend a minute or so practicing deep breathing.

It's convenient to do this right after a shower, before you get out and dry off.  If you are able to do it outside, I'd encourage you to do so.
Leather jackets  *Link Removed*
000-089 exam questions  *Link Removed*
mcp certification  *Link Removed*
Braindumps  *Link Removed*