Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: The Perfect Parking Spot...  (Read 17179 times)

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
  • 100% Barbarian (in the Alaskan White Mountains)
    • View Profile
The Perfect Parking Spot...
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »
I've heard the joke/cliche before, but I've never seen it in real life before today.

Someone driving around the parking lot or waiting for someone to back out for 20min so they can have the absolutely closest parking spot AT THE GYM!!!! Before they go spend the next hour plodding along on the treadmill.

I was the second of 4 cars that were stopped because a lady was waiting for a couple that was talking, to get in the car and leave. We were just sitting there, stuck in the parking lot, for nearly 10min so that she could get a spot next to the front door. I was so stunned when I realized what was happening, that I couldn't even be mad. So stunned, that I didn't even call her out!!! >:( I could understand taking a close spot if it happens to be available, but that it was at the gym, and they were willing to wait for so long blows my mind. How many others do this? Have any of you? And what does this say about us as a culture?

In response to this, I am going to make a statement against Laziness by taking the FARTHEST possible parking spot I can find everywhere I drive to through out June and challenge anyone else out there willing to give a try, to do the same

How many people will look at that challenge and just absolutely dread the thought? :'( I bet most people who read it won't even do it for a day!!! But really, how much will it really inconvenience you to walk for an extra minute or two?

I really hope some others out there join me in this. Maybe it will make a few people stop and think about how lazy we are sometimes. Let me know if your up to the challenge, or tell me why not. I would love to hear your reasons. ;)
Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Parking Spot...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:18:31 AM »
Parking far away from one's destination is something Bruce Lee advocated way back in the late '60s, as well as taking the stairs instead of elevators and escalators, carrying groceries instead of using a cart, etc.  It's good advice, and well worth remembering.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:09:58 PM »
I often laugh to myself when I see shopping trolleys scattered amongst a supermarket's car park...  people don't even have to have to hunt or forage for food any more, yet they can't even walk 50 metres to take a trolley back.

However, I think some people would do it because they are 'time poor', which is also a sad reflection on our modern lifestyles i.e. we're busier than we've ever been in the history of mankind - I think it was Socrates who said "beware the barrenness of a busy life".

And of course, parking closer to the door probably has a primal component too; less calorie expenditure (efficiency).

But when a person sits in a car for 10 minutes in order to get a park next to the front door at the gym! ...wow, that seems a bit illogical to me  ???
"Be true to your biology"

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »
But when a person sits in a car for 10 minutes in order to get a park next to the front door at the gym! ...wow, that seems a bit illogical to me
Thats what got me started on this. The insanity of it all.

And of course, parking closer to the door probably has a primal component too; less calorie expenditure (efficiency).
But when based against what most people consume, they could use the walk!

However, I think some people would do it because they are 'time poor',
I drive all over the place on a daily basis, and I ended up parking at 7 places other then my house. The total time I spent walking was a whopping 4min. It kills me that people can't even handle that. It took me twice that long to type this message!!!

Guys like me aren't born this way, actually we're not born at all. We're hatched from vulture eggs left in the sun, then raised by Wolves...

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »
Yep, sometimes I view cars as simply 'wheel chairs'.

Devin McAfee

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
I always take the stairs as opposed to the elevator, when at the gym I stand in between sets instead of sitting, and quite frankly I think its annoying that people are so lazy that they'd rather wait for a close parking spot than just park another 30-40 feet away and walk. The saddest part about it, I'm an extremely lazy person. So what does this say about the other people?  ???

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »
So I've been living out this rant for the last couple weeks, and guess what, IT'S NOT EVEN HARD!!!!

I notice everywhere I go, people trying to get that perfect spot and waiting 5-10min. I like to wave as I'm walking past them from the back of the lot and they are still waiting in line. Vindication every time I make it inside before them even though I walked...

Offline BigKhanz

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
Still keeping up with this, and it's been 2nd nature for a couple of weeks now. people have even asked me why I park so far away and look at me like Im crazy when I tell them whats going on. But I continue to make my stand against laziness.

Offline Matt Emery

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Caveman Power
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »
Still keeping up with this, and it's been 2nd nature for a couple of weeks now. people have even asked me why I park so far away and look at me like Im crazy when I tell them whats going on. But I continue to make my stand against laziness.

I gave it a go today, and will be aiming to do it more.

Offline AidanJ

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:41:44 PM »
I always take the furthest spot because theres never anyone parked in those places and frankly i find it far more convenient to get in, park, do what you have to do and get out of there, it annoys me that people who might have something that will take 2 minutes to do will turn it into a 40 minute venture!

anyway, just my two cents haha

Offline achaahaa

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »
 parking closer to the door probably has a primal component too; less calorie expenditure (efficiency)....!!
We provide fast success in    *Link Removed*    dumps exam by using our high quality     *Link Removed*    prep resources. We offer up-to-dated    *Link Removed*    dumps with definite guarantee of network+ training success    *Link Removed*